• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

NOISE:signal
Apr 27, 2018
An ( obligatory/s) personality type survey .
Who doesn't love surveys ?

And what better place to do it ?

Toxic sarcasm aside ...

I am INFP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/INFP#Statistics )

" They are rarely content with "what is," preferring instead to focus their sights on "what could be." This, combined with their strong idealism, can engender a sort of "grass is greener" mentality."
( quote from personalityjunkie.com )

There are free tests all over the inter webs ... if you don't already have a square to fit in ... ( :/ ).

If this is somehow aginst the rules of this sub ... I apologise .

So ... what are we all like ?

( I'm not a true believer in this stuff ... but I think there is a vein of potentially informative data here ... I would not be surprised if most of us were in a similair 'band width ' of personality types .)

FullFat

FullFat

^best order at Micky-D's ever
Apr 27, 2018
INTJ, sometimes INTP.

EDIT: I'm sorry if this hijacks the thread. I can create another, OP. Just PM me if this (rightfully) annoys you. Got a little carried away here because I like this stuff. :-/

However, I prefer the HEXACO or the Big 5 personality traits. They have better evidence and are still used in mainstream psychology today, especially the Big 5.

Here's the HEXACO: http://hexaco.org/hexaco-online

It's not going to tell you anything really groundbreaking, but it's interesting to see how you stack up to others. This one I linked should provide the percentiles for each of the six personality traits - Honesty/humility, Emotional stability, eXtraversion, Agreeableness, Conscientiousness, and Openness.

My results as I remember them are something like this:

H: 95%
E: 60%
X: 40%
A: 5%
C: 40%
O: 80%

H is basically saying I'm a highly moral person (don't ask me!), but the world's biggest asshole interpersonally (super low A). If that sounds fucked up, it is. For most people, H & A are highly correlated - i.e. humble do-gooders are usually nice as well, but I'm an exception to that rule, apparently. I am slightly less anxious than average (E), slightly introverted (X), and a bit less responsible and rule-abiding than most (C). Despite my mixed bag of characteristics, I'm interested in abstract thinking, art, and other fancy shit (O).

For the Big 5, most of my (dis)agreeableness gets sucked into Neuroticism, a term with which you might be more familiar than Emotional stability (its opposite). My emotional stability is a bit high here at 60% because of that. In contrast, the NEO (a Big 5 inventory) places me in the 97th percentile for Neuroticism, meaning that I am in the top 3% for the personality traits that drives mental illness! [Yes, I am that fucking crazy]

My Big 5 as I remember them:
Neuroticism: 97%
Extraversion: 60%
Agreeableness: 40%
Conscientiousness: 40%
Openness: 85%

--------------------------------
The Big 5 is basically HEXACO without the morality component (H), but the way it groups the questions in the remaining traits is slightly different. The similarity between the tests is why my Extraversion, Conscientiousness, and Openness are largely the same across the tests. Neuroticism (low Emotional stability in HEXACO) bounced around along with Agreeableness because of the differences in question grouping.

Anyway, enough with my walls of text. If anybody has questions about those personality tests, I can help .

Last edited:
Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

Apr 27, 2018
Fullfat said : EDIT: I'm sorry if this hijacks the thread. I can create another, OP. Just PM me if this (rightfully) annoys you. Got a little carried away here because I like this stuff. :-/

Ha ha !

Thanks for posting ...
I'm having a look at this stuff now and it's interesting

I might edit my first post and put a reference to HEXACO in it ? - just tried , don't think i can.

I wonder how many personality tests / models there are out there ?

Maybe this thread will gather a few more ?

I do have a few questions but I'm too distracted and slightly manic right now to focus on details ...

My results :

H 3.81

E 4.13

X 1.69

A 2.38

C 1.69

O 4.31

Last edited:
Reactions: FullFat and Cyanide
FullFat

FullFat

Apr 27, 2018
Fullfat said : EDIT: I'm sorry if this hijacks the thread. I can create another, OP. Just PM me if this (rightfully) annoys you. Got a little carried away here because I like this stuff. :-/

Ha ha !

Thanks for posting ...
I'm having a look at this stuff now and it's interesting

I might edit my first post and put a reference to HEXACO in it ? - just tried , don't think i can.

I wonder how many personality tests / models there are out there ?

Maybe this thread will gather a few more ?

I do have a few questions but I'm too distracted and slightly manic right now to focus on details ...

My results :

H 3.81

E 4.13

X 1.69

A 2.38

C 1.69

O 4.31

Well, judging from my year old results sheet, that would mean your percentiles are between the 50th and 90th percentiles for H & E and well below the 50th percentile in X, A, & C. It's hard to tell because the scores aren't distributed in a perfect bell curve. I wish they just reported your percentages outright so that you don't have to eyeball it.

High E, low A, and low C are the trifecta for mental illness, btw. Congratulations! /s I'm fucked too, lol
One researcher described it as something like, "They can't manage their emotions (E), how they deal with other people (A), or their life (C)". We're like walking, talking disasters.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyanide
Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

Apr 27, 2018
One researcher described it as something like, "They can't manage their emotions (E), how they deal with other people (A), or their life (C)". We're like walking, talking disasters.

Feels right ,

It's hard to tell because the scores aren't distributed in a perfect bell curve. I wish they just reported your percentages outright so that you don't have to eyeball it.

Not certain what you mean here , Are they shifting the statistics in some way ?
-------------------------

It would be interesting to see some different cultural bell curve averages maybe .

I wonder about that 'healthy' definition a bit .
Maybe some traits are created or are more appropriate in different environments .

FullFat

FullFat

Apr 27, 2018
Feels right ,

Not certain what you mean here , Are they shifting the statistics in some way ?
-------------------------

It would be interesting to see some different cultural bell curve averages maybe .

I wonder about that 'healthy' definition a bit .
Maybe some traits are created or are more appropriate in different environments .

I mean that the percentile ranges they are giving you are based on the observed scores, not a theoretical bell curve. Therefore, I can't reverse engineer precise percentiles (e.g. 75th percentile instead of 50th < x < 90th) based on the raw scores and standard deviations.

For example, if most people who take the tests are lazy shits, you would have heavy clumping in the 1-3 range and very few average scores near 4 & 5 for conscientiousness (C). This would fuck up the standard deviation and the mean as well as drag the 50th percentile down. Instead of 3 being the mean like the bell curve would say, you'd end up with something much lower. And that's just skew in one direction. If you, for example, had most scores at the extremes and few in the middle (or vice versa), more weirdness. If the distribution of observed scores is jagged and looks more like a mountain range instead of a bell, you're really fucked.

The HEXACO authors took an exhausting number of steps to get their scores to approximate a bell curve, but the test is only so good, and samples can't reach theoretical perfection. IDK how many people they tested, but I know for sure that the score distributions aren't perfect because the mean scores and the 10th & 90th percentile scores differ markedly between traits. They should all be sitting pretty at a mean/50th percentile score of 3.

As for the culture issue, that's an open question. Personality differences are observed between cultures, but it's difficult to tell whether that reflects true differences in personality. Bad translations and weird cultural effects on self-perception cloud the picture. For instance, Japanese people tend to report that they are much less (yes, LESS) conscientious/responsible than Americans do on the same tests. This is usually interpreted as the Japanese being hard on themselves. Reword the questions to request an explicit comparison with Americans and the Japanese might report themselves as more hardworking as we would expect.

Last edited:
Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

Apr 27, 2018
I have noticed that you and many other people on this forum are INFPs. What's the deal with INFPs and suicide?

It is very interesting .

I had a little look the other day for some other tests on line ...

My initial guess is that Introverted intuitives are assessing existence from their own perspective and relying less on
external feedback.

I personally am very sceptical about 'society' and accepted yard sticks of 'adjustment',
Hasn't done me any good .
Or maybe it has .

Thats the rub.
Fall in line for an easier ride or persue a different view .
To thine own self be true ?

Feelings of rejection ?

What do you think ?

Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

Apr 27, 2018
I mean that the percentile ranges they are giving you are based on the observed scores, not a theoretical bell curve. Therefore, I can't reverse engineer precise percentiles (e.g. 75th percentile instead of 50th < x < 90th) based on the raw scores and standard deviations.

For example, if most people who take the tests are lazy shits, you would have heavy clumping in the 1-3 range and very few average scores near 4 & 5 for conscientiousness (C). This would fuck up the standard deviation and the mean as well as drag the 50th percentile down. Instead of 3 being the mean like the bell curve would say, you'd end up with something much lower. And that's just skew in one direction. If you, for example, had most scores at the extremes and few in the middle (or vice versa), more weirdness. If the distribution of observed scores is jagged and looks more like a mountain range instead of a bell, you're really fucked.

The HEXACO authors took an exhausting number of steps to get their scores to approximate a bell curve, but the test is only so good, and samples can't reach theoretical perfection. IDK how many people they tested, but I know for sure that the score distributions aren't perfect because the mean scores and the 10th & 90th percentile scores differ markedly between traits. They should all be sitting pretty at a mean/50th percentile score of 3.

As for the culture issue, that's an open question. Personality differences are observed between cultures, but it's difficult to tell whether that reflects true differences in personality. Bad translations and weird cultural effects on self-perception cloud the picture. For instance, Japanese people tend to report that they are much less (yes, LESS) conscientious/responsible than Americans do on the same tests. This is usually interpreted as the Japanese being hard on themselves. Reword the questions to request an explicit comparison with Americans and the Japanese might report themselves as more hardworking as we would expect.

Cheers. TIL !

What I'm taking away from this is some kind of preconception of normality that these tests have to start with :
" We are going to have an even distribution to compare outliers to "
Our friend the bell curve ...

I know it is statistics and 'the instrument' needs to be a general assessment ,,, but what came first ? the expectation of 'average' traits or the tests ? Chasing my tail here .

Culturally I remember reading somewhere that a lot of psychological tests were discredited when someone realized that the sample set
was American college students ... with their biases unaccounted for . ( no offense intended )

Thanks for explaining that statistics stuff ... maths is not my strong point !

FullFat

FullFat

Apr 27, 2018
I typically test as an INFP, a little middling on the F and the P. HEXACO? High H, low E, extremely low X, median A, high C, quite high O.
Hm. Do you have any trouble with anxiety, or is your problem mostly depression? Also, props on the high conscientiousness. You a hard worker? Organized?

FullFat

FullFat

Apr 27, 2018
I just did the HEXACO test. My results are:

H: 4,44
E: 2,19
X: 1,44
A: 2,56
C: 1,63
O: 1,56

Basically a pile of garbage. Only the H saves me.
Huh. It seems like H is the saving grace for a lot of us. This busts the strong correlation between A & H I was always taught to expect. Morals may partly compensate for the fact that we're not the friendliest people on earth, lol.

High E, low A, and low C are traditionally considered the mental illness trio, but low X also applies for depression and anxiety sufferers. The fact that these 4 traits keep popping up in people's results here doesn't surprise me. High H does though, at least if I fall back on what I was taught and ignore my intuition Most personality theory folks I know would bet that suicidal individuals are selfish fuckers who would score low on H. It would be hilarious if the opposite is generally true.

If it were found that suicidal people score highly on H, the common wisdom that suicide is selfish would take a hit. Not that lifers who sling that insult would pay attention, but still.

There are some theories of suicide that would support high H scores in the suicidal. May make a post at some point on them.

sadak_the_wanderer

sadak_the_wanderer

An appropriate painting
Mar 19, 2018
Hm. Do you have any trouble with anxiety, or is your problem mostly depression? Also, props on the high conscientiousness. You a hard worker? Organized?

I never seem to get anxious about anything, or if I am, I'm not aware of it. The things that cause regular people to have an elevated heart rate and respiration seem to slow me down, instead. I do not think of myself as a particularly hard-worker or that I am well-organized. The latter certainly isn't evident if you look at my room.

FullFat

FullFat

Apr 27, 2018
I never seem to get anxious about anything, or if I am, I'm not aware of it. The things that cause regular people to have an elevated heart rate and respiration seem to slow me down, instead. I do not think of myself as a particularly hard-worker or that I am well-organized. The latter certainly isn't evident if you look at my room.
I asked about anxiety because the HEXACO tends to treat E as mostly anxiety. Basically, if your problems aren't anxiety-related, you'll look quite emotionally stable. I laughed out loud when it said I was. My anxiety primarily manifests as anger (fight instead of flight) and rumination. I don't have phobias or feel like I'm in danger, so the HEXACO can't really detect my issues. It buries all of it under A, which is comprised of quite a few questions about anger.

As for C, I wonder why you scored highly on it. I will have to take a look at the questions again. I never score highly on C, so I'd still wager you're more organized than me. Maybe I'm especially scatterbrained or something.