• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

J

Juleee

-
Jan 2, 2024
For most of my life, I've felt like an old soul.

I'm in my early 20s, and I struggle to relate to most people my age.

Does anyone else experience this?

I feel like human connection would play a big part in my recovery, but I'm struggling to obtain it.

I'm close with my grandfather, and the other day he asked me if I would ever hang out with people my age, and it got me thinking…

carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I think I am the opposite and just feel like a big kid really. Although recently I've been getting to know people a lot older than me and it's been going alright really. I think really people are just people, everyone is different and I'm sure if you look you can find people to connect with regardless of age.

• Love
Reactions: Juleee
R

Redacted24

Might be Richard Cory... or not
Nov 20, 2023
I had to have a bit of a think on this one. I'm more than twice your age, but still struggle to find much in common with my peers in calendar years. Since I was a child I was always more comfortable with people decades older than I was; that's changed over the years and I find that it's not actually age that's the determining factor, it's world view (not the exact phrase I'm seeking) - I have more alignment intellectually and feel a connection to people that are curious, thoughtful, informed, and open minded, regardless of their age.
Most people are pretty vacuous and their empty conversations are devoid of analysis. Boring!
I have a work colleague who's 20 years younger and insightful. I love spending time with them. I don't always get their cultural references but we click.
Not sure if this is helpful, but don't put pressure on yourself to conform to anything other than the who that you are.
Friends are family that you get to pick yourself.
:heart:

• Love
Reactions: sserafim and Juleee
J

Juleee

-
Jan 2, 2024
I think I am the opposite and just feel like a big kid really. Although recently I've been getting to know people a lot older than me and it's been going alright really. I think really people are just people, everyone is different and I'm sure if you look you can find people to connect with regardless of age.
I suppose you're right.

I've never really thought about it in that way.

Thanks for your input :)
I had to have a bit of a think on this one. I'm more than twice your age, but still struggle to find much in common with my peers in calendar years. Since I was a child I was always more comfortable with people decades older than I was; that's changed over the years and I find that it's not actually age that's the determining factor, it's world view (not the exact phrase I'm seeking) - I have more alignment intellectually and feel a connection to people that are curious, thoughtful, informed, and open minded, regardless of their age.
Most people are pretty vacuous and their empty conversations are devoid of analysis. Boring!
I have a work colleague who's 20 years younger and insightful. I love spending time with them. I don't always get their cultural references but we click.
Not sure if this is helpful, but don't put pressure on yourself to conform to anything other than the who that you are.
Friends are family that you get to pick yourself.
:heart:
I agree with you too.

I think that maybe older generations are more aware of what goes on in the world.

I've been trying to align my interests with people my age, but I'm just going to stick with who I am.

Your reply was definitely helpful :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Redacted24
Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

Life is a mirror, but "whose" mirror?
Mar 23, 2023
People's personalities can vary and you shouldn't be too prejudiced, each person can teach and help another to develop further.

• Hugs
Reactions: Juleee
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I have been this way all my life. It gets better as you get older and gives you a definite leg up in the career world. Some people take a very long time to mature emotionally. I hang out with people now at 30 that I probably wouldn't have gotten along with a few years ago. For most, maturity largely involves a sort of smoothing over of our worst habits and impulses. I am far less prickly and quick to take offense than I used to be, and I am more accepting of personal differences. All of this will help you as the years go by.

Part of the problem is this - if you think of someone like you, what are they probably doing? Hanging out at home with family is what. You will never meet each other this way. You have to put yourself out there and strike out a few times to find your people. Good luck.

Reactions: Redacted24