S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
A woman (Mom) jumped twelve stories in NY USA the other day. She held her five year old daughter in her arms in a murder-suicide. It was a couple of days ago. There is rooftop camera footage of her pacing, and then jumping over the ledge holding her daughter in her arms.

I do not think they do display suicide much on the news.. same as how tourist towns do not display much of the crime and violence that happens there in the their local news reports. Like a five second blip usually early 5am radio news or something at best in those places. This one got nationwide coverage.

I think it is soo sad thinking about how afraid that little girl probably was when this happened. It made me want to say something about it and I talked to a few people. It is only one of many seemingly tragic events though.

• Hugs
Reactions: gtrfvr
neitherherenorthere

neitherherenorthere

Experienced
Apr 22, 2020
Damn. I guess it was sensational enough that the news networks figured it was worth covering. All they care about is getting people to tune in and not whether it's actually ethical to report on an event. That's why suicide reporting guidelines get ignored all the time. The more gruesome details you include the more people want to hear about it.

Also I think people care more about things that happen in a state like NY (NYC especially) versus some random place that people don't care about and stereotypically imagine that nothing ever happens. If the suicide had been in some no-name town in Kansas it probably wouldn't have gotten coverage.

Sometimes I wonder if it's better that the kid died with the mom rather than the mom getting talked into letting the daughter go or talked down entirely and having to live with that trauma for the rest of their life.

• Aww..
Reactions: Fragile and Spitfire
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
I don't know why I posted it? It is a sad story. I heard it on the tv the other day and today I got a news feed about it when I looked online. I wanted it to not be true when I first heard about it.

140 bpm

140 bpm

Glitching in reality
Jan 26, 2020
That's heartbreaking. Can't imagine feelings of that girl...and mother as well...
I'm debating inside myself...it sounds so wrong, but...

• Hugs
Reactions: Spitfire