Votes: 11 84.6%
  • video

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
redpaint

redpaint

chronic ponderer
Aug 24, 2023
which method of saying goodbye is generally preferred?
i feel as though a note can be more structured and planned out - errors are easily fixable. but a video could include a lot more and also includes your voice/face. let me know your thoughts.

PreCambrianBliss

PreCambrianBliss

Touring the primordial aeon
Apr 26, 2023
Imo videos seem like they would come across as a bit disturbing. Seeing someone talk about their own death is a little too "real"

Enlighten

Enlighten

I am here for you
Sep 29, 2023
I agree with PreCambrian. A video like that would be a tough watch for friends and family afterwards. And like you said: With writing you have the time to think this through and really word them in a way you want to.

Reactions: Foreverix
Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
Honestly, I'm not sure either one would be that helpful or comforting. But writing a note will be easier. I tried recording a voice note for my parents once, and I ended up rerecording it SO many times. It was very hard to contain my thoughts, and I didn't even have much of an explanation. A lot of it just turned into rambling.

Recording a video won't help your loved ones at all. If you seem calm and blunt, it will feel like a slap in the face. If you seem scared and/or emotional, they will feel guilty and just as helpless.

Last edited:
Reactions: corazon
PreCambrianBliss

PreCambrianBliss

Touring the primordial aeon
Apr 26, 2023
It was very hard to contain my thoughts, and I didn't even have much of an explanation. A lot of it just turned into rambling.
I know this all too well, I have a document with over 50 pages of pointless suicidal rambling. What I've learned is that it's nearly impossible to articulate the conditions of your death. Best to set all that aside stick to what really matters. Write something that will let your family move on

Reactions: Foreverix
Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
Best to set all that aside stick to what really matters. Write something that will let your family move on
Even that's no short order. I think the reality is that they never will really move on, just forward.

I guess if you write anything, just write how you feel in that moment and whatever comes to mind regarding those you love. But don't use it as a means to give some big explanation, or try to answer what you think their questions will be. That's the big thing I struggled with.