• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Tegan_sky

Tegan_sky

losing hope
Aug 16, 2019
Hi. Does anyone else use napping as a means of escape, as in, if feelings are just too much, go to sleep for a while, in the hopes of feeling better once awake? Or also as a means, if depressed, a three hour nap is a three hour relief from any depressed or anxious feelings. I have been doing this for quite a while now, I attend Dual Diagnosis (addiction coupled with mental disorders) meetings online for 18 months. It was just mentioned there within the last week, others saying they have a hard time getting out, spending a lot of time in bed, taking naps, etc. It might sound funny, but it validated me. If I just know that I am not the only one, it is a tremendous help. If I am not napping, I still sit up in bed leaning my cushion against the wall, playing on the computer or journaling. It is only within the last week that after my nap I will sit on the sofa once awake. Even that seemingly minor thing feels like such progress.

P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
Hi. Does anyone else use napping as a means of escape, as in, if feelings are just too much, go to sleep for a while, in the hopes of feeling better once awake? Or also as a means, if depressed, a three hour nap is a three hour relief from any depressed or anxious feelings. I have been doing this for quite a while now, I attend Dual Diagnosis (addiction coupled with mental disorders) meetings online for 18 months. It was just mentioned there within the last week, others saying they have a hard time getting out, spending a lot of time in bed, taking naps, etc. It might sound funny, but it validated me. If I just know that I am not the only one, it is a tremendous help. If I am not napping, I still sit up in bed leaning my cushion against the wall, playing on the computer or journaling. It is only within the last week that after my nap I will sit on the sofa once awake. Even that seemingly minor thing feels like such progress.
yep. sleeping is an escape for me. theres times where i dont know if im sleeping or if im alive. like ill be in a deep sleep, and ill think im like actually in that reality in my sleep. but then as soon as i wake up, it hits me, like shit im back to my pathetic life, it was all just a dream.

i guess i get so caught up in my dream and my sleep when im asleep and dont know the difference is because of how at peace and calm i am when im sleeping, and how peaceful my dreams are.

E

EmptySteph62

Student
Aug 4, 2019
Yes although I have insomnia, but I do take sleep aids and try and stay in bed away from life for as long as possible and I nail alot when I'm able to. I agree it's a way of escaping and being unconscious is just so much easier and helps the time pass by.

k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I know it's a bad coping skill, but I abuse sleep as much as I can. I have sleep issues and dream issues, so it's usually not a great escape, but most of the time I feel like I'm only safe when I'm sleeping. If I'm asleep, I'm not out there killing myself, you know? Sometimes I feel like I can't trust myself to get out of bed, so I just don't. I guess I'd better hope I don't start sleepwalking...

N

No_more

May 5, 2019
It's nice to dream that people and animals that have died in real life are still alive, but it's horrible waking up and remembering that they're dead.

aviator8

aviator8

Aug 22, 2019
you guys seem to be able to sleep and I cant can you help me? I have a thread about this https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/i-need-to-control-how-i-sleep-to-ctb.21330/

Reactions: Circles
bunny

bunny

保管
Oct 3, 2018
it's hard to sleep because i have really bad nightmares, but i do like being under a blanket :(

Reactions: Circles
bunny

bunny

保管
Oct 3, 2018
i barely sleep. maybe 3 hours at most. i've recently gotten medicated again so it might help... but i'm afraid of sleeping because of the nightmares

catharticEscapism

catharticEscapism

Aug 31, 2019
"Naps" aren't really applicable to what I do. I just sleep upwards of 20 hours a day because I can't stand being awake. It's an escape from my depression and, when I'm dreaming, I have actual emotions again so it feels like I'm living another life until I wake up.

The only literal downside to sleeping so much is that it makes me back and body ache.

Rachel74

Rachel74

Enlightened
Sep 7, 2019
I've had to stop napping as it was affecting my night sleep. At the moment I'm doing ok sleep wise if I'm not distrurbed, I did go through last week with decent sleep but the week before it was awful. Not slept great the last 2 nights as I'm worrying about work. So many demons in my head right now but the main one is paranoia.

T

TheEgg

Sep 4, 2019
It's good to sleep and don't think about anything but doesn't really work for me. It's hard to fall asleep and I wake up very often....

Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
Yup, I take naps all the time to escape. I actually took one a few hours ago and my naps usually last hours instead of a couple of minutes

Stan

Stan

Factoid Hunter
Aug 29, 2019
Currently doing 2 days without sleep, then a day with about 5 hours sleep then back to the two days off again. Apparently I might be getting 'microsleeps' but don't know about it

azucaramargo

azucaramargo

Enlightened
Sep 16, 2018
Abso-fruitly!

Reactions: Tegan_sky
mathieu

mathieu

Enlightened
Jun 5, 2019
Yes, I go to bed really early and have a nap or two during the day. Sweet relief.

E

eve2004

DEAD YESTERDAY
Aug 17, 2019
I would sleep 16-18 hours a day if I could... I don't have enough meds to do it. My psych has me on a short leash and knows I have a tendancy to impulsively overdose in order to sleep more. I could stockpile but what do I do in the meantime?!!?!
Currently doing 2 days without sleep, then a day with about 5 hours sleep then back to the two days off again. Apparently I might be getting 'microsleeps' but don't know about it
I could not function on insomnia. I had to abuse all kinds of OTC legal sedatives to the point of extremely high tolerance to make it from one day to the next without botching a CTB attempt. I went cold turkey off of them and didn't sleep for 3 days, the slept 12 hours a day on my own, no meds... Currently I take a regular dose of benzos but clearly am becoming tolerant because I took it 3 hours ago.... FML.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Bea

Bea

Sep 1, 2019
;_
YES!!!!!! YES, and YES, and YES! Every little step is progress. I am so proud of myself when I freaking wash my hair. Or shave. Bottom line (no pun intended, ha!) ~ I hear you, girl, and yes, every little step is progress. Every single solitary one.
Also, are you familiar with this Thoreau quote? ~
Henry David Thoreau
"A single footstep will not make a path on the earth, so a single thought will not make a pathway in the mind. To make a deep physical path, we walk again and again. To make a deep mental path, we must think over and over the kind of thoughts we wish to dominate our lives."

phoenix_borderless

phoenix_borderless

Sep 15, 2019
That's the only thing that appeals to me now. I do nothing but sleep/rest.

It's a good escape from life and suicidal thoughts. Because it resets our moods somehow.

clownangel

clownangel

Student
Sep 25, 2019
I'm terrible at naps (anxiety) unless I'm sick but when I go to bed it's for 10-12hrs minimum because of this.

Last week I slept maybe 16hrs most days for the first time in a while, practically live in my bed most other times though. (I've been an insomniac most of my life and up until a couple years ago my sleep was never deep enough to dream, with my medication now half the time I feel like I'm addicted to the escape now that it's more vivid)

Reactions: TiredOfLife95
Ness

Ness

They/Them pronouns, please
Aug 28, 2019
Wish I could, getting to sleep for ages is a wonderful thing except that I have nightmares and that I have to time it all at once because if I nap, I can't sleep at all. But the biggest issue is probably that sometimes I just prefer the nightmares over life itself.

stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
My little nest of blankets is my safe space. I find peace there. I wish I could sleep more than I already do because I'm so tired. I just want to work on making that bed even more cozy and stay in for a while.

Sweet emotion

Sweet emotion

Enlightened
Sep 14, 2019
I can relate to you very much on your post. I have a condition called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome which is the highest ranking pain condition in medical history. So there is the physical pain, the depression, and the anxiety. So yes when I just don't want to be alone with my thoughts anymore or live inside my head or feel the pain, I sedate myself. I know to a lot of people this is wrong but let them come and walk around in my shoes and see what it's like. And for some reason I like sleeping in the day a lot more than sleeping at night. I know this sounds crazy but I get scared when I have to fall asleep at night. I feel like pressure is out upon me to be like a normal person and sleep when a certain time comes. And with my pain it's hard to do. I get sleep wherever I can. Sometimes the pain will have me awake for days. And I get so tired of my family saying.....well you're not sleeping at night that is why you're sleeping in the day. No! Really?!?! I had no idea! Yeah that I what pain does to people. It disrupts their sleeping pattern. When you're in so much pain at night that you can't sleep you're bound to fall asleep in the day time. Then they tell me to stay up all day no matter how tired I am. But that doesnt work because if I'm dead tired I'm not going to deny mysef sleep.
I'm terrible at naps (anxiety) unless I'm sick but when I go to bed it's for 10-12hrs minimum because of this.

Last week I slept maybe 16hrs most days for the first time in a while, practically live in my bed most other times though. (I've been an insomniac most of my life and up until a couple years ago my sleep was never deep enough to dream, with my medication now half the time I feel like I'm addicted to the escape now that it's more vivid)
I love my dreams too. Especially when they involve Jason Momoa haha. But mine are very vivid as well. I can feel everything. It's all so real and they're usually good dreams so I enjoy napping. Im able to go to places I'd never be able to travel to and am able to do things I'm not able to physically do.

Last edited: