Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AllReturnsToNothing

I'm useless
Aug 5, 2020
I have such an intellectual writer crush on you right now. You had me at warm sugary ichor.

This post just does it for me. I know I'm moving way too fast, but I'm thinking about asking it to move in with me. Okay, maybe just taking an ichor-free bath with me and we'll see where things go. I'm pretty sure it will scrub my back, clean off the dried and crusted blood from the thousand little pinpricks and outright stabs.

Lol, I'm flattered but I promise I'm not NEARLY that eloquent in real life lol. I guess I'm just a sucker for pretty things and just like using flowery language I guess and I was just so angry in the moment I just poured out all of my energy into writing, which is pretty rare for me these days lol (which is why i've never really pursued a writing career). I'm glad you liked my words but don't expect miracle cures from an expert in the lost art of complaining lol. Just wish those idiots at Vice who have the gall to call themselves "writers" gave at least half as much of a shit about writing as I do. Then again, it's not like you can expect people to wax bright blooming poetry nearly every day when they're being paid packing peanuts and given such narrowly confined topics to work within at the threat of employment termination. Maybe some day when every worker finally wakes up and decides we've had enough of being treated like dirt, we'll have a new renaissance of art the likes of which haven't been seen in generations.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lost in a Dream, NodusTollens, Skathon and 7 others
D

Deleted member 14573

Feb 2, 2020

I remember this incredibly compassionate article from VICE on suicide, from a few years ago, supposedly by a doctor. Bloody hypocrites.

"People are awful at killing themselves. You would think that once you set your mind to self-destruction, it would be fairly straightforward—but the majority of people fail. In fact, ten to 20 million people fail to kill themselves worldwide every year. That's a lot of wasted hospital time. For that reason, you won't get much sympathy from the medical profession if you come in having munched your way through a box of Feminax and a bottle of Peach Schnapps after your boyfriend's dumped you"

"In general, failing at death is worse than failing at life"

"There is also the crying-out-for-attention nutcase contingent"
Wow.

I'm not encouraging more efficient suicide tactics by the way. Next time you feel down, perhaps just go to the movies. Everyone likes that.

If this is the current state of journalism then just shoot me now.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
  • Yay!
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, NodusTollens, puppy9 and 9 others
AJ95

AJ95

24/7 sylvia plath
Sep 3, 2020
will be interested to see the vice article when it comes out, and what they will twist this into.
Yeah I'm curious too, to see whether they'll actually portray this site for what it is or spin it into some psycho death cult for clickbait.
That is beyond insane. Holy shit that is so fucked up.

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk, NodusTollens, puppy9 and 7 others
Niftypoint124

Niftypoint124

Student
Nov 7, 2020
VICE is a pop culture magazine; they don't do ethics in journalism.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, puppy9, Skathon and 6 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
History repeats itself. A Vice article on a site named Sanctioned Suicide from 5 years back.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, grungeCat, _Minsk and 9 others
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
Wow.

On top of it, the author is supposed to be... a doctor. :nomouth:
I read the article when I was a suicidal teenager, and I remember it didn't make me feel really good.

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: NodusTollens, Disappointered, _Kaira_ and 2 others
Niftypoint124

Niftypoint124

Student
Nov 7, 2020
I read the article when I was a suicidal teenager, and I remember it didn't make me feel really good.

Just so we're all clear, the likelihood it was written by a doctor is VERY small -- VICE has published articles "by an anonymous professional" that were written by staff for years.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, demuic, NodusTollens and 6 others
Borghesia

Borghesia

mors certa, hora incerta
Jan 5, 2019
Paradox as it may sound, knowing exactly what to do to kill myself reliably has helped me cling onto life for a little longer. Knowing that, if push comes to shove, I don't have to suffer eternally with no means to exit man-made hell, has made me more calm and collected. I ain't gonna lie, it has also alienated me entirely from most other people, especially the religious folk. My outlook on life is unique and probably only shared by people on this forum and very few other places. But that's just how it is. Once you've been to the brink, there's no coming back. You're changed forever.

I mean, fucking hell, it's VICE. They don't give two fucks about the people on here, it's just a shocker-story that will hopefully generate them clicks and ad revenue. If you think suicide is bad per se you're already disqualified and any further discussion is a waste of oxygen.

• Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, demuic, grungeCat and 12 others
RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
Great answers @Marquis. I think you handled those bad-faith questions very well. Back in 2019 when we had the first negative media blowout, I gave Buzzfeed an interview myself in an attempt to correct their misleading, smearing article. I wasn't a mod back then but I spent over 45 minutes talking to a reporter via Skype. I explained why I was a member in the forum, why I'm suicidal, why I think people have a right to die, why this forum is important and so on. We exchanged 27 emails and I made sure to explain every single detail of my answers in the most extensive way possible to prevent misinterpretation and make sure she doesn't take my answers out of context. It was a process that took hours, we went back and forth. You know what happened in the end? Nothing. She didn't publish it. I think my answers didn't fit her narrative, considering I was not only defending SS but the right to die in general. I made sure to explain that we aren't pro-suicide but pro-choice. We recognize that everyone has a right to die, which has been the direction and tone of several rulings of the European Court of Human Rights on assisted suicide as well. They said, quote, that suicide is an expression of individual autonomy. How could they make it any clearer? We have the moral and legal high ground. I guess all of my arguments and the fact that I'm trans myself are the reason why she never wrote another article on SS. Buzzfeed is woke - not saying that's a bad thing, but having a suicidal trans person not only defending SS but the moral and legal right to commit suicide is simply too outrageous for them and it doesn't fit into their narrative that we're all an evil, deceitful suicide-cult.
So, it looks like 2019 is repeating itself again.

[...]A VICE article will definitely drive traffic to this site. Probably the wrong kind of traffic...I'll be vigilant.

Well, I doubt that. When Buzzfeed wrote an article about us back in 2019, we actually had an influx of traffic as well, but it was mostly people that either wanted to die or were sincerely curious about the content of this website.Surprising, isn't it? Well, I guess, if you tell people that there is a website that offers open exchange about suicide and methods, they will take a look at this website with an open mind because nobody wants to be trapped in life. You don't even need to be suicidal for this kind of curiosity. It's beneficial for every person, regardless of their mental and physical state, to have peaceful means for an exit because you never know what will happen in your life. Like, maybe you're a healthy person now, but you might be the victim of a severe accident in the future that makes life unbearable due to disabilities. In that case, you would probably appreciate a peaceful method. You might suffer from some physical condition in the future that causes chronic physical pain and reduces your quality of life to the point where you just want to go. That would be another situation in which you might appreciate a peaceful method. You might suffer from clinical depression and struggle mentally for years, like me for example. Something else could happen, who knows. Nobody is immune to tragic events that turn life around for the worse. It's some kind of redpill, once you have that knowledge over peaceful methods, you never want to go back because it gives you assurance and safety. I sleep a lot better ever since I received my N.

[...]How is normalizing it damaging? The problem is that its NOT normalized. I'm not talking about normalizing it so it's like "oh someone died today" but we can't talk about. It SHOULD be normalized. We SHOULD be able to talk to people about it without feeling like we're going to be hated simply because we are hurting. Someone says "I have cancer and I just can't anymore" then assisted suicide is fine. But we say "I'm depressed and I just can't anymore" and the people that look down on us for taking it in our own hands are also the same people that weren't there for us when we needed it. If it was normalized, and we could talk about it, and they were there for us, then there would be a lot less suicides and all they have to do is open their ears. Normalizing it is NOT damaging. What is damaging, is keeping our pain silent like it doesn't exist. The world sucks and no amount of hiding it is going to change that. You actually have to do something if you want to make it better. It's the way this site has "normalized" it so that we can talk that has helped so many, myself included. What is failing me and many others, is the MHS they want us to go through. Like you said forced hospitalization doesn't work.

I agree with you. Suicide should be normalized in the sense that you can openly talk about it without having to fear serious consequences like getting admitted to a psych ward. I can't talk about suicide to anyone in real life due to the stigma that exists around this topic. And honestly, it's violating our human rights and there is no reason to lock us into mental hospitals and force-feed severe drugs just because we express the desire to leave this cruel world behind. We all have a reason to be here, in this forum and they're probably gonna try to invalidate this notion with that article. I would even go so far and argue for normalization of assisted suicide organizations all across the globe, without the discriminating against mentally struggling people that exists in many countries right now. We have a right to leave, just like anyone else. It's some kind of ableism if you allow people that suffer from physical conditions to leave but deny this SAME right to mentally struggling people. Their struggling is equally exhausting and valid and I'll die on that hill. Switzerland doesn't understand this yet and it's basically impossible to leave with assisted suicide if you're young and mentally ill but I heard that Belgium has a very progressive approach when it comes to assisted suicide. If you suffer from a mental condition and if your pain is consistent, you're allowed to leave, just like anyone else, according to the documentaries I've seen about this topic. But sadly the majority of doctors and therapists disagree with that in Switzerland. I've been suffering from depression and other severe mental health conditions for the last 12 years of my life. I'm tired and exhausted yet they still talk about recovery and how I could just find a job and pick my life up again, as if nothing bad happened in my life that left me traumatized and damaged in my childhood. I deserve to leave peacefully. Anyone that is trying to tell me something different can sincerely fuck off.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Simba, it's_all_a_game, Broken Chimera and 21 others
epic

epic

Enlightened
Aug 9, 2019
History repeats itself. A Vice article on a site named Sanctioned Suicide from 5 years back.

I doubt this is the article OP is talking about. This article was written in March 27, 2015. The op is talking about a fresh article(or that is what I gathered from the post) .

Reactions: grungeCat and Brick In The Wall
Niftypoint124

Niftypoint124

Student
Nov 7, 2020
I doubt this is the article OP is talking about. This article was written in March 27, 2015. The op is talking about a fresh article .
Correct. There's a new article as mentioned by OP (not yet out) and that previous article from 5 years ago.

Reactions: Brick In The Wall and epic
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I doubt this is the article OP is talking about. This article was written in March 27, 2015. The op is talking about a fresh article(or that is what I gathered from the post) .
I'm well aware of that. I was merely pointing out the coincidence. The article I posted isn't even about the same "Sanctioned Suicide" as this site wasn't even around 5 years ago.

• Love
Reactions: NodusTollens and epic
epic

epic

Enlightened
Aug 9, 2019
I'm well aware of that. I was merely pointing out the coincidence. The article I posted isn't even about the same "Sanctioned Suicide" as this site wasn't even around 5 years ago.
My bad.

• Hugs
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and Brick In The Wall
D

Deleted member 14573

Feb 2, 2020

I remember this incredibly compassionate article from VICE on suicide, from a few years ago, supposedly by a doctor. Bloody hypocrites.

"People are awful at killing themselves. You would think that once you set your mind to self-destruction, it would be fairly straightforward—but the majority of people fail. In fact, ten to 20 million people fail to kill themselves worldwide every year. That's a lot of wasted hospital time. For that reason, you won't get much sympathy from the medical profession if you come in having munched your way through a box of Feminax and a bottle of Peach Schnapps after your boyfriend's dumped you"

"In general, failing at death is worse than failing at life"

"There is also the crying-out-for-attention nutcase contingent"

Yeah I'm curious too, to see whether they'll actually portray this site for what it is or spin it into some psycho death cult for clickbait.

That is beyond insane. Holy shit that is so fucked up.

This article is a great example of why a lot of suicidal people don't want to reach out for help. We don't want to feel like we're a burden on our families, the hospital system and especially don't want to be viewed as a "crying-out-for-attention nutcase contingent". Are you fucking kidding me?

Alienation is just one more reason a community like this has naturally developed. A reason that YOU have contributed to, albeit a small contribution in the grand scheme of things. Your 'article' only reinforces a stigma that further isolates people like us. And now you want to shame this community, all the while patting yourselves on the back for exposing an 'evil', as you have labeled us with such nuance and understanding.

Take a good look in the mirror and see what you have contributed.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, demuic, sadworld and 4 others
_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
This article is a great example of why a lot of suicidal people don't want to reach out for help. We don't want to feel like we're a burden on our families, the hospital system and especially don't want to be viewed as a "crying-out-for-attention nutcase contingent". Are you fucking kidding me?

Alienation is just one more reason a community like this has naturally developed. A reason that YOU have contributed to, albeit a small contribution in the grand scheme of things. Your 'article' only reinforces a stigma that further isolates people like us. And now you want to shame this community, all the while patting yourselves on the back for exposing an 'evil', as you have labeled us with such nuance and understanding.

Take a good look in the mirror and see what you have contributed.

And who's genius idea was it to publish this article during a pandemic where suicide rates are higher than ever? You may find that you won't get as much outrage at this time of the year, which you would be hoping for so you can get that sweet ad revenue. And you will drive traffic here even if you don't name the forum.

I read that article several times. The way they worded most of it, came off as very condescending. I'm not sure exactly what they were going for, but it sure as hell seemed to be aiming at making the suicidal feel irrelavent and silly.

"Next time you feel down, perhaps just go to the movies. Everyone likes that"

This downright infuriated me. Not that the whole article made me feel good anyway...

Last edited:
  • Aww..
  • Wow
Reactions: demuic, NodusTollens, sadworld and 3 others
franklynlb

franklynlb

Oct 13, 2020
After a short time here i've seen people die and people who were previously talking about dying actually come out of that place and slowly talk about recovery. Place offers and opens a space for discussion and support, real support! Were a choice is not frowned upon or looked down. Everything can be discussed and in this people find openess and a real source for conversation, and that on itself is a great way to start recovery for those who might seek it.
I don't get why they didn't talk to people from the forum and actually get both sides of the coin in their story... this is actually my go to place when i'm feeling sad, cause i know people will listen to me and not judge me, and that alone, has helped me through a lot, i came searching for a method, and stayed cause of the company, talking to people made me feel good enough to actually seek out help outside of here. I'm in recovery and trying damn hard to keep up. And this site is a major part of it.

• Hugs
Reactions: sadworld, epic, Frew and 4 others
flower

flower

on the moon
Feb 23, 2020
After a short time here i've seen people die and people who were previously talking about dying actually come out of that place and slowly talk about recovery. Place offers and opens a space for discussion and support, real support! Were a choice is not frowned upon or looked down. Everything can be discussed and in this people find openess and a real source for conversation, and that on itself is a great way to start recovery for those who might seek it.
I don't get why they didn't talk to people from the forum and actually get both sides of the coin in their story... this is actually my go to place when i'm feeling sad, cause i know people will listen to me and not judge me, and that alone, has helped me through a lot, i came searching for a method, and stayed cause of the company, talking to people made me feel good enough to actually seek out help outside of here. I'm in recovery and trying damn hard to keep up. And this site is a major part of it.
this is so good to hear! i think that's an important part of this site that is always overlooked - there's literally a whole recovery section of the forum. it's not like once you're here you're doomed to ctb.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, NodusTollens, sadworld and 3 others
It'sMyLife

It'sMyLife

Little bundles of futile hope we are
Apr 18, 2020
Got to love how all these family members jump out of the woodwork. Obviously, they weren't around when the suicidal person was suicidal. They are probably feeling guilty. Families often cause suicides. The only reason I am on this website is because my family have made me suicidal.

They should stop bashing websites like this and examine their own guilty consciences. They never will, of course. They will fester in their false moral superiority, a cloak, a mantle they have adopted. Unfortunately for them, however, I see right through it.
You touched on something I've taken issue with for some time. I understand many of the family members and friends are in pain. SS ends up being a handy scapegoat but the person they lost was suicidal long before they found SS. It's totally annoying and infuriating as well. People don't want to believe that either they were a factor somehow or that they might have noticed sooner and attempted to help. If you were having a face to face conversation how would you even ask them how did your (son, daughter, wife , husband, friend...) get to this point? They will not understand or accept why you would dare to even pose the question. Righteous indignation would naturally follow. The communication gap is massive here.

Reactions: demuic, Secrets1, walktothewater and 3 others
Niftypoint124

Niftypoint124

Student
Nov 7, 2020
You touched on something I've taken issue with for some time. I understand many of the family members and friends are in pain. SS ends up being a handy scapegoat but the person they lost was suicidal long before they found SS. It's totally annoying and infuriating as well. People don't want to believe that either they were a factor somehow or that they might have noticed sooner and attempted to help. If you were having a face to face conversation how would you even ask them how did your (son, daughter, wife , husband, friend...) get to this point? They will not understand or accept why you would dare to even pose the question. Righteous indignation would naturally follow. The communication gap is massive here.

How can this site be a scapegoat when it provides clear(er) instructions on what methods to use, likelihood of it working, and so forth? The site isn't responsible for their death, but there is something to be said for the accessibility of information, and the quickness with which many members will, um. 'correct' folks about methods,etc? It's one thing to be suicidal, quite another to find a place with enough information for anyone with the ability to perform minor Google-Fu to fill in the blanks.

Reactions: sadworld and nerve
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
Final Exit by Derek Humphry reached #1 on the New York Times bestseller list in August 1991, 29 years ago. I bought it later that year for 50 cents from a used bookstore within walking distance of where I lived after a prominent psychologist in town used the information in it to kill herself. (I know because her name was inscribed inside the front cover in her handwriting.)

No internet was necessary for the sales of Humphry's now classic book to take off in popularity.

The clichéd saying "Be careful what you wish for, lest it come true" can be fully applied to the most fervent fantasies of Sanctioned Suicide's most vehement opponents. They obviously have no potential intelligence to learn anything from history (and probably are too stupid and ignorant to know a book like Final Exit or organization like The Hemlock Society ever even existed, and probably have no idea who Jack Kevorkian was), so they're certainly going to be far too dumb to comprehend what would happen next to their misguided cause if this website ever ceases to exist. (As it is, maybe these morons need to watch several uninterrupted hours of suicide footage which has been online for years and years through sites like BestGore, LiveLeak, FindaDeath and DeathHag. Katie Nicole Davis hung herself four years ago, and that complete footage has been online ever since. Are the idiotic opponents of SS going to try blaming her death on a site which didn't even exist then?)

Reactions: Deleted member 23586, pthnrdnojvsc, sadworld and 3 others
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
How can this site be a scapegoat when it provides clear(er) instructions on what methods to use, likelihood of it working, and so forth? The site isn't responsible for their death, but there is something to be said for the accessibility of information, and the quickness with which many members will, um. 'correct' folks about methods,etc? It's one thing to be suicidal, quite another to find a place with enough information for anyone with the ability to perform minor Google-Fu to fill in the blanks.

I agree with you in a sense, but something has brought people to this site, seeking out methods to die. The site alone doesn't turn people suicidal- they were already suicidal and sought out SanctionedSuicide (or information on suicide methods in general). That's why I disagree with people scapegoating the site. Happy, peaceful, hopeful people aren't researching suicide and seeking out communities like this. Something has to have happened to push people in that direction first. That aspect seems to be largely missed or ignored by grieving families who seek to shut the site down

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: demuic, Deleted member 23586, Niftypoint124 and 9 others
HelloHell

HelloHell

Arcanist
Dec 26, 2019
Nice and wise response!
SS is the only place where I feel understood

• Love
Reactions: grungeCat, sadworld, Gnip and 3 others
K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
It's not like people come here feeling good in the first place.

Reactions: grungeCat, Lone_Gray_Wolf, Deleted member 23586 and 7 others
Emily_Numb

Emily_Numb

Wizard
Jan 14, 2020
To all these pro-life folk who are desperate to shut this place down please show me an ACTUAL EXAMPLE of someone on this forum saying 'Yes. You should kill yourself'. I'm really keen to see some proof of this.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, _Minsk, Deleted member 23586 and 3 others
Silvermorning

Silvermorning

The polar bears made me do it
Oct 10, 2020
Just so we're all clear, the likelihood it was written by a doctor is VERY small -- VICE has published articles "by an anonymous professional" that were written by staff for years.

Or that they would put their money where their mouth is, easy to judge others when they sleep in a warm room, with a supportive entourage.

Makes sense

Reactions: Fedrea, Gnip, _Kaira_ and 1 other person
Niftypoint124

Niftypoint124

Student
Nov 7, 2020
I agree with you in a sense, but something has brought people to this site, seeking out methods to die. The site alone doesn't turn people suicidal- they were already suicidal and sought out SanctionedSuicide (or information on suicide methods in general). That's why I disagree with people scapegoating the site. Happy, peaceful, hopeful people aren't researching suicide and seeking out communities like this. Something has to have happened to push people in that direction first. That aspect seems to be largely missed or ignored by grieving families who seek to shut the site down

I see the points you're making here, but I'll raise you that there are many young people who are deeply unhappy perusing the internet. Young people who do not have the best decision skills, based solely on the fact that they are young and everything feels very pressing in the very moment they are experiencing it. People who, for instance, probably aren't fully capable of considering the repercussions. This isn't me saying "young people are dumb" - I was a deeply depressed young person. Who knows how my first attempt would've turned out had information like this been more readily available? The ~15+ years that have passed since have likely been worth having.

While I love this site and deeply appreciate it, I think some of y'all are a little overeager to say it has nothing to do with this website when... it does. Not because anyone's saying "go kill yourself" (though there's some bad actors in the forums - let's not pretend otherwise) but because the accuracy of information contained herein was meant for people who were old or suffering due to illness/significant quality of life issues, not because they're teenagers and depressed* and being both of those things simultaneously sucks.

*substitute diagnosis of choice

ETA: If you were a parent, and your 16yo died with this site up, are you saying you wouldn't do the same thing? That's insanity to me - of course you would. These are grieving family members; they're gonna do whatever they can to keep other families from feeling like they do. Their upset is not misplaced.

Last edited:
Reactions: shadowchaser, Miss_Takes and Deleted member 1465
F

Fedrea

Specialist
May 14, 2020
I read that article several times. The way they worded most of it, came off as very condescending. I'm not sure exactly what they were going for, but it sure as hell seemed to be aiming at making the suicidal feel irrelavent and silly.

"Next time you feel down, perhaps just go to the movies. Everyone likes that"

This downright infuriated me. Not that the whole article made me feel good anyway...
A lot of medical doctors are outright pricks. The fairest thing you can say about it is they have to become very hardened to do their job, I think, and sometimes they end up getting attitudes like that to the suicidal as a result. The only vague point she has is the vast majority of suicides fail, and maybe if people knew that they would attempt less often, is ostensibly her argument.

But she seems to interpret that as most people who attempt really don't want to die. That will be true of some of them, but they still deserve compassion if they are crying out for help. For others, they will intend to die, but killing yourself without suffering too much physically is not easy.

Of course the whole article shows a misunderstanding of the reality of mental health, from someone full of arrogance and probably youthful ignorance despite the medical degree.

The wider point is that it not the person who wrote it, that but that VICE choose to publish it at all. I don't care that it was a few years ago. It's still up and they have forfeited their right to write about the suicide topic in a sensitive way

Reactions: demuic, Gnip, Skathon and 1 other person
Niftypoint124

Niftypoint124

Student
Nov 7, 2020
The wider point is that it not the person who wrote it, that but that VICE choose to publish it at all. I don't care that it was a few years ago. It's still up and they have forfeited their right to write about the suicide topic in a sensitive way

... I feel like a lot of y'all are unfamiliar with the history of VICE ....

Reactions: Gnip, nerve, Disappointered and 1 other person
Status
Not open for further replies.