• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Mud.

Mud.

Arcanist
Oct 27, 2018

Originally written for the Supremes, who took it all the way to number one on the charts.
This is just an outtake. A warm-up. Aretha never put it out on record.
I think it's a great performance and it also hits home the difference between someone who can really sing, a force of nature, and a girl group singer (Diana Ross.)

Nothing wrong with girl groups. I like them a lot.
But I love Aretha :)

wiIIow

wiIIow

Arcanist
Sep 22, 2018
I've been enjoying Thievery Corporation lately. They have a unique mix of eastern, south and afro American sounds with anti-establishment lyrics.

Hell yeah, I love Thievery Corporation! I remember when I discovered them - I heard Lebanese Blonde on a local radio station, and I was like. What, the fuck, is this, I love it

They make some top notch jams

L

lookin4areason

Jan 16, 2019
i'm not sure if i'm doing it right, but if it shows up it'll be Linkin Park's One More Light. this song is beautiful but haunting. and even more sad after Chester passed. one thing I later wished was having been able to see them once. Even though they were around many years, I never did see them.

wiIIow

wiIIow

Arcanist
Sep 22, 2018
So I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread or not, but it is music related and something I find fascinating. Electronic music... before it was electronic music. You thought Kraftwerk were innovative? Well, you're correct, cause they were. BUT! There was cool stuff being done even before them, before the almighty Moog.

I'll start with Tom Dissevelt (referenced by David Bowie when listing his favorite albums!). This is from 1962 (production started in 1958) and had to have taken an insane amount of tedious work, tape splicing, producing the right sounds and waves... it's goddamn ridiculous and he was wayyy ahead of his time.

Meet Delia Derbyshire, alcoholic genius and hater of the Moog (and also the creator of the original Doctor Who theme). Known for being a perfectionist, spending ridiculous amounts of time on her work, filling entire hallways with tape that she would painstakingly cut up and tape together. Unable to cope with the emergence of synthesizers after all this work she had done, she eventually drank herself to death.

Here's some early Moog play with Doug McKechnie, which is just really fuckin neat

And finally... this is produced with a variophone, from the damn 1930's. Also another tedious and long process, I can only imagine.

So idk. I hope someone else finds this stuff as interesting as I do, lol. I also like to know my roots when it comes to music, it's fascinating to go back and see where it all began.

Last edited:
W

wxtyubidi7y

Student
Jun 30, 2018
So I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread or not, but it is music related and something I find fascinating. Electronic music... before it was electronic music. You thought Kraftwerk were innovative? Well, you're correct, cause they were. BUT! There was cool stuff being done even before them, before the almighty Moog.
Great post! They were all cool. The '30s stuff was very impressive. I like early electronic music too, heres a couple that stand out for me :

Proto-synth/drummer duo Silver Apples (1968)

Morton Subotnick (1967)

wiIIow

wiIIow

Arcanist
Sep 22, 2018
Great post! They were all cool. The '30s stuff was very impressive. I like early electronic music too, heres a couple that stand out for me :

Proto-synth/drummer duo Silver Apples (1968)

Morton Subotnick (1967)

Wow, awesome!! Thanks, those are cool. I really dig the first one, and the sounds achieved in the secons video are pretty nuts for the time. I'm glad someone else shares my enthusiasm with this stuff haha

W

wxtyubidi7y

Student
Jun 30, 2018
Wow, awesome!! Thanks, those are cool. I really dig the first one, and the sounds achieved in the secons video are pretty nuts for the time. I'm glad someone else shares my enthusiasm with this stuff haha

Haha yeah I doubt there are too many of us fans here. It's nice to talk about music or something on this site to mix it up.

Bonus electronic music curio: George Harrison of the Beatles released a very obscure avant garde instrumental electronic album in 1969:

ctrl_alt_delete

ctrl_alt_delete

r e p l i c a n t
Nov 14, 2018

I'll start with Tom Dissevelt (referenced by David Bowie when listing his favorite albums!). This is from 1962 (production started in 1958) and had to have taken an insane amount of tedious work, tape splicing, producing the right sounds and waves... it's goddamn ridiculous and he was wayyy ahead of his time.

Meet Delia Derbyshire, alcoholic genius and hater of the Moog (and also the creator of the original Doctor Who theme). Known for being a perfectionist, spending ridiculous amounts of time on her work, filling entire hallways with tape that she would painstakingly cut up and tape together. Unable to cope with the emergence of synthesizers after all this work she had done, she eventually drank herself to death.

Here's some early Moog play with Doug McKechnie, which is just really fuckin neat

And finally... this is produced with a variophone, from the damn 1930's. Also another tedious and long process, I can only imagine.

So idk. I hope someone else finds this stuff as interesting as I do, lol. I also like to know my roots when it comes to music, it's fascinating to go back and see where it all began.

Thank you for these, and especially for reminding us of Delia Derbyshire.

wiIIow

wiIIow

Arcanist
Sep 22, 2018
Brothertiger makes some of the warmest, chillest stuff I've ever heard. "Fitting with the chillwave trend, Brothertiger's music has neon '80s keyboard tones and the woozy fidelity of an old VHS tape."

I used to listen to Brothertiger a lot when I discovered them a few years ago. It fits in with some of the music that makes me miss being high; I had a pretty carefree couple of years before my mental health took a nosedive, and hearing music that I loved during that time makes me sad. I know I'll never feel that way again

HelensNepenthe

HelensNepenthe

Thoughtful poster
Jan 17, 2019

Favorite love song by Beach House. Beautiful song about breakups too. A lot of memory of this song was an older teachers playing this song before class started and reflecting on it. He used to always have an intense emotion towards this particular track by Beach House.