• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
Any movies you know of which depict mental illness, depression and/or suicide?

Here are a few I can think of:

Der Todesking - scene portraying a man preparing for suicide while alone in his apartment. One of many suicides shown.

Jacob's Ladder - Vietnam vet experiences mental damage from experimental drugs after returning from war (or is it something else?). It really captures the feeling of paranoia, being trapped in hellish life. Atmosphere of despair, hopelessness and loss.

Angst - mentally ill man released from mental hospital is far from cured, commits home invasion and kills several people. Very depressing intimate kills. Depicts his mental anguish and desperation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Norest4thewicked, AlePizarnik, Terminally drunk and 5 others
nzdarkshark

nzdarkshark

The Loved Mistake
Sep 4, 2018
Stay - man kills himself to stop a time loop (I think?)
Suicide Room (Polish - subtitles) - revolves around suicidal people and feeling like an outcast.

Those are the only two I can think of off the top of my head :')

Reactions: naia_ and Deafsn0w
worldexploder

worldexploder

Visionary
Sep 19, 2018
I watched the entire 24 hour collection of videos made by Ricardo López (the Bjork Stalker) on liveleaks. It wasn't technically a "movie" but it peered deep into the thoughts of a deranged and lonely man from the time he started filming until he shot himself.

I always had an interest in studying people like him.

Reactions: JustHeckinKillMe, F_ckthisplace, naia_ and 3 others
Deafsn0w

Deafsn0w

I will buy you a dog if you like my posts
Sep 4, 2018
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/suicide-self-harm-in-media.11/

Reactions: Даун, NemoZeno, Circles and 2 others
Aesthler

Aesthler

Death is the only God who comes when you call
Sep 25, 2018
I'm watching The Sea of Trees on Netflix, so far good and is centered around suicide.

Reactions: stellabelle, UnknownOutlaw and Deafsn0w
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
I urge anyone who hasn't seen it to watch Melancholia. It's astonishing

Reactions: Redt2go, AlePizarnik, LivedTooLong and 4 others
Help_Me

Help_Me

Gene pool mistake
Oct 21, 2018
Probably "Prozac nation" (2001), but I think it's more about writer's block.

Yea, I saw "Der Todesking" twice, it's pretty good, but I always feel slowly covering despair after it...

Reactions: Deafsn0w
Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
Probably "Prozac nation" (2001), but I think it's more about writer's block.

Yea, I saw "Der Todesking" twice, it's pretty good, but I always feel slowly covering despair after it...
It did make me feel horrible but it's excellent. When I first watched it I was surprised that someone made a movie so depressing like that.

Reactions: Deafsn0w and Help_Me
Help_Me

Help_Me

Gene pool mistake
Oct 21, 2018
It did make me feel horrible but it's excellent. When I first watched it I was surprised that someone made a movie so depressing like that.
I wonder what was inside all those envelopes that man sent to random people) I mean what was written in the letters. Also, I'd like to add that I liked some other movies directed by Jorg Buttgereit. Did you check anything else as well ?

Reactions: Deafsn0w
Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
Yes. I've seen Nekromantik 1 & 2, and Schramm.

I love those movies - as grim as they are they're still kind of "fun". Der Todesking is different because it's overwhelmingly bleak.

Reactions: Norest4thewicked, AlePizarnik and Deafsn0w
Help_Me

Help_Me

Gene pool mistake
Oct 21, 2018
Yes ! I love Nekromanrik as well. As for me, they all provoked depression inside of me, maybe this is because I'm way too sensitive. Poor Robert, his was just mentally ill and didn't know how to cope with that...

Reactions: Norest4thewicked, Lra888 and Deafsn0w
S

sólstafir

Experienced
Nov 1, 2018
The Fire Within (1963), I haven't watched it myself yet, but I know the protagonist lost all interest in life and the movie depicts suicide.

Reactions: Lra888
Dani Paradox

Dani Paradox

Permanently Banned
Aug 17, 2018
Girl, Interrupted.

and Fight Club!

Reactions: Norest4thewicked
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Me Before You, it is a film starring a quadriplegic person named Will who had everything in life, but due to some stupid accident, everything that he had and knew was taken away from him. He ultimately ended up dying via euthanasia (assisted suicide).

Sep 7, 2018
2:37 film ~ Australia (2006)
Til human voices wake us ~ Australia (2001)
I liked the second film more. I don't know if she actually commits suicide but when I snuck out to watch it when I was 5 years old. I thought it was suicide. And I allways kept that memory of her dying in my mind. Its burned into my mind.

Kirakishou

Kirakishou

where is the truth?
Nov 1, 2018
colourful is a good one if you like to watch anime

AlePizarnik

AlePizarnik

Nov 8, 2018
Mar adentro. It's more about euthanasia but yeah it was a good movie

TheNorthernSilence

TheNorthernSilence

Arcanist
Nov 13, 2018
Manchester by the Sea (2016), could be more depressive though..

Reactions: AlePizarnik
Your Own Ghost

Your Own Ghost

Human
Mar 12, 2019
Ha. I was going to post all the movies about invisible people who sleep most of the day, neglect their hygiene, and do next to nothing while they're awake besides try to hold on, but you know I just couldn't find anything…

Instead, here are these I enjoy:

Touched With Fire – (2015) – "Two bipolar patients meet in a psychiatric hospital and begin a romance that brings out all of the beauty and horror of their condition."

Before I Disappear – (2014) – "At the lowest point of his life, Richie gets a call from his estranged sister, asking him to look after his eleven-year old niece, Sophia, for a few hours."

Silver Linings Playbook – (2013) – "After a stint in a mental institution, former teacher Pat Solitano moves back in with his parents and tries to reconcile with his ex-wife. Things get more challenging when Pat meets Tiffany, a mysterious girl with problems of her own."

Sylvia -- (2003) – "Story of the relationship between the poets Ted Hughes and Sylvia Plath."

(Can't find a trailer but the did find the whole movie on YouTube.)

*Oh, and then I realized this thread wasn't made recently and the OP hasn't been seen since New Year's Eve. I hope others can enjoy these.

Reactions: whatever1111