Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021

Starts out just fine. Yep, humans are hardwired for connection. Yep, loneliness causes unhealthy physiological changes. Yep, loneliness is self-perpetuating. Yep, it's rampant in the modern world.

It's the end that kills me: when you're feeling lonely, guys, the PSA is just to go out and make connections!

Just do it! It's so easy! Everyone will love you for who you are!

How the fuck did I not think of this? Well, depression now freshly cured, I'mma head out and be a veritable social fucking butterfly! BOOO YA, MOTHAFUCKAS!

Face Palm GIF

• Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: Journeytoletgo, WillSterben, Élégie and 10 others
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
Theodore Talks are absolutely terrible -- it's always just some narcissistic jackass with a headset babbling about nothing and we're supposed to be amazed by it. Needless to say, I won't be watching this, but I appreciate your rant about it.

Reactions: Élégie, clown_17, ncmxm and 8 others
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Theodore Talks are absolutely terrible -- it's always just some narcissistic jackass with a headset babbling about nothing and we're supposed to be amazed by it. Needless to say, I won't be watching this, but I appreciate your rant about it.
Yeah, the vast majority of them really are. The pop psychology ones are the worst of the worst. A lot of that "groundbreaking" research is debunked by better psychologists too.

• Love
Reactions: Élégie, clown_17, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 2 others
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
Yeah, the vast majority of them really are. The pop psychology ones are the worst of the worst. A lot of that "groundbreaking" research is debunked by better psychologists too.

Yep. It's a big problem in general. Look up the replication crisis. A lot of what people think they know especially in "soft" sciences like psychology probably isn't even true.

Reactions: Élégie, chocolatebar, ithappens and 2 others
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Yep. It's a big problem in general. Look up the replication crisis. A lot of what people think they know especially in "soft" sciences like psychology probably isn't even true.

It's why I left the field. Psychiatry is mostly bunk too. The folks who thinks it helps have benefited from the placebo effect and bonding with someone who pretends to listen to your problems.

Reactions: Élégie, chocolatebar, ncmxm and 3 others
ithappens

ithappens

Live free or die
Aug 9, 2018
It's why I left the field. Psychiatry is mostly bunk too. The folks who thinks it helps have benefited from the placebo effect and bonding with someone who pretends to listen to your problems.
Every time I see someone say this it really helps me mentally heal from the absolute mindfucking I have gotten dealing with psychiatrists and therapists.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Élégie, demuic and 1 other person
Celerity

Celerity

Jan 24, 2021
Every time I see someone say this it really helps me mentally heal from the absolute mindfucking I have gotten dealing with psychiatrists and therapists.
Glad to help. Behind closed doors, a lot of the honest ones admit that they don't really know what they're doing and basically act as a support. Studies have actually shown very little difference in the type of therapy (i.e. Freudian psychoanalytic vs CBT vs Rogerian vs Gestalt) for most problems for most people. You are far from alone. Even people who get an initial benefit often wash out within 3 months with no lasting benefit.

Reactions: Élégie, ithappens, demuic and 1 other person
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
It's the end that kills me: when you're feeling lonely, guys, the PSA is just to go out and make connections!
If you are poor then just go to the bank and get some money!

Reactions: Journeytoletgo, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Élégie and 4 others