theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
I took the time to research this case. I would like to present this case with great respect to Mitchell and his family.

History
On September 18, 2010, a young man named Mitchell Heisman, a thirty-five-year-old psychology graduate, walked into Harvard's Memorial Church on Yom Kippur, the Jewish holy holiday, and shot himself in the head.
The breaking point was the death of Mitchell's father.

Note
He left a suicide note of 1,905 pages, with 1,433 footnotes and 20 pages of bibliography. The book consists of a prologue and two parts in which Heisman equates God with technology and analyzes how liberal democracy leads to the self-destruction of the human race. includes more than 1,700 references to God and up to 200 references to the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche". There are also references to Schoenberg, Darwin, futurist Ray Kurzweil and biologist E. O. Wilson.
After five years of working on the lengthy letter, Heisman's family and close associates received the document in the mail.

What is note about according to Mitchell
"Every word, every thought and every emotion comes back to the same central problem: life is meaningless. I want to emphasize that the central issue of this text is not biology, race, or technology, but nihilism. This experiment in nihilism consists in seeking out and exposing every illusion and every myth, wherever it leads us, no matter what the consequences, even if it means our own death"

His mother's words after the death of Mitchell
"He was a most healthy young man, never having shown any depressive inclinations. He was just a rather reserved boy, absorbed in recent times, mind you, by what he cited as academic work "on the history of the Norman Conquest of England" "He was very cordial, charming, I would never have thought anything was wrong. He often told me he loved me and had recently visited me to help me prepare for a move. [...] I'm still in shock and can't understand how he could have hidden this. He had everything going for him. He was in perfect health. He was handsome, intelligent, a good person. I will never understand."

Mitchell's last will
According to Heisman's own mother, the student's last wish was that everyone should read this text.

PDF

• Wow
  • Informative
Reactions: WhatPowerIs, Mlee75, brighteyes and 8 others
Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Longing to return to stardust
Aug 8, 2022
Holy shit. What a story, and what a text. This is totally up my alley and I'm saving it...but almost 2000 pages? We shall see how far I get...

Reactions: theboy and Euthanza
L

Lefty

Mage
Dec 7, 2018
Sounds interesting, though almost 2,000 pages is a lot to read. But it really does sound interesting.

Reactions: theboy
N

nothingchanges

Student
Sep 11, 2020
I just finished reading all the quotes of 'the conspiracy against the human race' that I could find and I'm absolutely obsessed. I've never read a more clear, accurate, and digestible critique on life and natalism. Buying the book tomorrow!

Reactions: MelancholyMagic, theboy and bluem00n
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
Perhaps people will research his nice long suicide note and then understand what makes so many people need to ctb. Sometimes I think is our genetics, we feel things very strongly, or perhaps we possess the give of ultimate logic. If data suggests that nothing can improve in our existence, no matter how long we stay... then we ctb.

Reactions: theboy
MelancholyMagic

MelancholyMagic

For my next trick, I will disappear
Dec 12, 2021
I just finished reading all the quotes of 'the conspiracy against the human race' that I could find and I'm absolutely obsessed. I've never read a more clear, accurate, and digestible critique on life and natalism. Buying the book tomorrow!
'Conspiracy' is a great read. If you haven't already read it, you should first read Zapffe's short essay "The Last Messiah" (English translation can be found here: https://philosophynow.org/issues/45/The_Last_Messiah).
This essay is perhaps the single greatest influence on 'Conspiracy' and because it is so short you can read it all in under an hour.

Reactions: Ringo and theboy
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
When I ctb I damn well will NOT leave a book to document everything that went wrong.
If they are curious about what went wrong, I'd tell them I was born! It truly is amazing how many people crawl out of the woodwork to tell others how they miss you and wish you were gone after you ctb. So where was all of that love and concern when we were with them?