• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

AngelGirl

AngelGirl

Cat
May 18, 2019
"Emotional violence in childhood, adolescence associated with suicidal thoughts"

Early exposure to emotional violence "significantly" increases the chances that youths will contemplate suicide, according to new research from three countries conducted by Washington University in St. Louis' Brown School

"We find there exists a significant relationship between exposure to emotional violence and suicide ideation for both males and females in all countries in the sample," the authors wrote in the paper. "No other form of child maltreatment was found to be associated with suicide ideation in more than one country, suggesting that emotional violence may actually be more powerful than physical and sexual abuse in its impact on adolescent suicide behaviors in low- and middle-income countries."

Source:https://source.wustl.edu/2019/06/em...dolescence-associated-with-suicidal-thoughts/

Found this on reddit.
What do you guys think? I personally agree but I also want to hear your opinion.

Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
Well sexual abuse is basically mental abuse. But yeah, mental abuse can destroy someone's brain. A lot more damaging than someone just punching you. If someone is an expert, he or she can mentally abuse someone's brain to program their brain to have certain personality traits and defects that will make the victim's life a living hell etc. My ex tried that shit on me. It's not even that difficult. And most victim's wont even realize what is going on...

Last edited:
J

Jean Améry

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2019
This does not surprise me at all. It makes sense that being emotionally abused as a defenceless child would leave its mark. It's good that studies like this are done: they at least show suicide is very much a social problem and the game of blaming the victim must end.

Most of all anyone who abuses a child (in whatever way) deserves the worst possible punishment. It's scarring people for life: the very least that should be done is ensure they have a miserable life too, with no chance whatsoever to escape. Except maybe through some gruesome form of suicide.

Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
"In low- and middle-income countries"?!
In high-income countries emotional abuse leads to music careers?? Wtf

Sorry. That bit just seemed totally off-kilter but maybe if I read the article it'll make more sense.

Kids who are physically abused are also emotionally abused, so I still think that's a worse situation. But sure, most of the time the emotional scars are worse than the physical ones.

@Severen, I'm not sure what you mean by saying sexual abuse is mental abuse; I reckon it's physical abuse as well.

Last edited:
Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
This does not surprise me at all. It makes sense that being emotionally abused as a defenceless child would leave its mark. It's good that studies like this are done: they at least show suicide is very much a social problem and the game of blaming the victim must end.

Most of all anyone who abuses a child (in whatever way) deserves the worst possible punishment. It's scarring people for life: the very least that should be done is ensure they have a miserable life too, with no chance whatsoever to escape. Except maybe through some gruesome form of suicide.
If you look at the glass half full though. Humanity is so idiotic, they are just figuring this shit out, now.
"In low- and middle-income countries"?!
In high-income countries emotional abuse leads to music careers?? Wtf
Haven't you heard? In high income countries, whenever mental abuse is about to happen, a protective bubble forms around the person about to be victimized, that absorbs all the damage.

Last edited:
Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

NOISE:signal
Apr 27, 2018
I think it's where I learnt to destroy myself as a method of soothing.

Sounds ridiculous right ?

"You're such a wilful awful ungrateful child , sometimes I wish I'd never had you "

( A fairly standard vent from religiously crazed alcoholic mother with herself no support network .)

My interpretation : Oh , If I negative self talk about myself then I stop doing 'bad ' things and
don't get into the slipper / wet tea towel zone. So , ruminating negative self talk is a safer
behavior than positive self talk .

Add an extra layer of " God fucking hates your sinful disgusting arse '' , and a negative 'no escape'
spiral is set up for 'life' .

Who knows ... I'm just saying I vote for the emotional damage thing.

I'm personally in the 'crazy making ' camp where opposites are paradoxically promoted eg. God is Love , when the religious version presented clearly is evil , as well as 'we care for you' as the parent message
when they are clearly emotionally closed down . at best .

Scribble Fan

Scribble Fan

I'm out!
May 30, 2019
Of course! Mental abuse can ruin somebody up for life, especially if they were raised in it. An inescapable internal prison is very hard not to ctb out of...

Reactions: AngelGirl
lululoo

lululoo

Mage
Dec 15, 2018
Emotional abuse is the real root reason for my suicide. All my problems stem from that.

I don't want to compare types of abuse and diminish one in order to convey the danger of another. But I will say, one problem with emotional abuse is that you don't have as much concrete proof that you are abused. If you are hit or raped, to some extent you know that's abuse and it's wrong. If you are just insulted or neglected or mind-fucked every day, you may not realize it. Even if you are aware, the abuse teaches you to doubt your own perceptions so it's a constant battle over whether your complaint is legitimate. Moreover, there's not much of a cultural narrative about the harms of emotional abuse. Many people still act like those who speak up about it are just whiners. It is often presented in movies and tv as if it's just regular parenting (example: the bitch terrible mom in the movie Lady Bird. her insults and silent treatment and abandonment of her daughter were gross, but the message of that movie seemed to be "what a bratty teenage daughter who learns her lesson and grows up!"). So in all, I think emotional abuse can really fuck you over and tie you in knots in an awful way.

inconsequential

inconsequential

Enlightened
Jun 1, 2019
In short, yeah. My mother had ASPD, and both manipulated me & caused me a lot of grief... until I developed her personality traits.

She was not happy to discover that she had created a version of herself.

Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
Emotional abuse is the real root reason for my suicide. All my problems stem from that.

I don't want to compare types of abuse and diminish one in order to convey the danger of another. But I will say, one problem with emotional abuse is that you don't have as much concrete proof that you are abused. If you are hit or raped, to some extent you know that's abuse and it's wrong. If you are just insulted or neglected or mind-fucked every day, you may not realize it. Even if you are aware, the abuse teaches you to doubt your own perceptions so it's a constant battle over whether your complaint is legitimate. Moreover, there's not much of a cultural narrative about the harms of emotional abuse. Many people still act like those who speak up about it are just whiners. It is often presented in movies and tv as if it's just regular parenting (example: the bitch terrible mom in the movie Lady Bird. her insults and silent treatment and abandonment of her daughter were gross, but the message of that movie seemed to be "what a bratty teenage daughter who learns her lesson and grows up!"). So in all, I think emotional abuse can really fuck you over and tie you in knots in an awful way.

I understand what you mean. But a young child doesn't realise physical abuse isn't normal if it's what s/he grows up with. When a neighbour once phoned to say she was going to call the police "if that child doesn't stop screaming" I thought *I* was the perp that the neighbour was warning. (I was the screaming child.)

But indeed it is the mental abuse that causes the worse damage.

• Hugs
Reactions: Scribble Fan
lululoo

lululoo

Mage
Dec 15, 2018
I understand what you mean. But a young child doesn't realise physical abuse isn't normal if it's what s/he grows up with. When a neighbour once phoned to say she was going to call the police "if that child doesn't stop screaming" I thought *I* was the perp that the neighbour was warning. (I was the screaming child.)

But indeed it is the mental abuse that causes the worse damage.
You're right, I should have worded this better. I mean my dad was also occasionally physically abusive and I found ways to tell myself it wasn't a big deal or he was "provoked" or whatever, so I totally agree with what you're saying. But with physical abuse, I think it is generally easier to identify it as wrong, if not immediately as a child, at least at some point down the line as an adult. And it is generally more straightforward--you were hit or you weren't. Whereas with emotional abuse, even as an adult it is very easy to look back and brush it under the rug and just hate yourself.