meltdown

meltdown

Throw up in your plate
Dec 15, 2023
I know God is real but I have never believed in reincarnation or any afterlife whatsoever. Never been able to square those.
I think the moment the lights go out, that's it. For sensory perception of any kind, or thinking, which I don't think one's soul can necessarily do. It might be that your soul exists eternally in whatever plane, but I doubt that's something we experience. Having anecdotal evidence of loss-of-consciousness, at least partly, in certain stages of sleep, seems like pretty good evidence of what it's like when it's over.

CheekyPhobia

CheekyPhobia

Reasonless, well it stands to reason...
Aug 1, 2022
This does really interest me, if you could post any studies or documentaries please do! I was reading the findings of one research project a while ago and it was quite extensive: something like 1000 participants who they were practically certain had reincarnated. They discovered that all of them reincarnated as the race in their previous life, which is an interesting finding. But beyond that, their bodies came out similar looking to their previous incarnation. Not identical, but similar phenotypes. What are our souls? Are they racially bound? How old have we been circulating through this game of life and death? It seems reincarnation is the most likely outcome anyhow.

Burden_Bailey

Burden_Bailey

A lonely lesbian
Dec 9, 2023
I love this post! I'm a Christian/former agnostic and I did lots of research to come to the conclusion that god is real. Although, NDE's aren't really the best evidence. But I am so excited to go to Heaven after I ctb.

Also, even though I'm a Christian, the church can really suck. Also, the church can be very toxic to me because I'm lesbian. So… love god, hate the church i guess.

sanction

sanction

sanctioned
Mar 15, 2019
i don't believe in afterlife. Imagine from the beginning of mankind, until now in 2023. The amount of humans that have died previously, can you imagine every single one of them having an afterlife?

Also, I don't think we are any special type of species. So if we have afterlife, that means animals also have afterlife. So imagine every single ant, every fly, every worm, every pig.... and the list goes on, that have died from beginning of time until 2023

Also don't forget every dinosaur, every caveman......... including the current population of 8 billion humans that are alive (including current billions of alive animals / other species) that will also have afterlife, including any future new lives from this moment on

So wherever that afterlife place is.... much be EXTREMELY crazily crowded lol. What would be the purpose of that place? Are we all just there floating around naked with no end in sight, for endless eternity??

But of course thats just my opinion lol, I could be wrong. And despite millions of people believing in god, with all these churches and religions, I still also don't believe in any of them. So thats my honest opinion

Reactions: Tears in Rain and pthnrdnojvsc
Relic

Relic

Astral Corpse
Mar 6, 2021
So wherever that afterlife place is.... much be EXTREMELY crazily crowded lol.
It would be still considerably less than there are objects in the universe(s), just a tiny fraction. Besides, it is supposed to be a cycle, like everything in our solar system and in the entire universe seems to be. And that would only exist as energy, a collection of data. Every living organism is just electrical impulses in a medium. Theoretical neuroscience estimates that human brain holds approximately 2.5 petabytes of data. That is 300 years worth of uninterrupted continuous audiovisual recording. As far as theories go, place in the brain where mammals store information, is also one. It can't be verified, so it is still a theory. There is also a theory that the brain is just an antenna, and that all the information is stored somewhere outside, and is constantly sent and retrieved. Most likely there are several memory types, just like your average computer has. Genetic memory is the most obvious one. From basic instincts to migration routes and destinations for birds, for example.

So the "afterlife" as it is imagined in religions seems to be an interpretation, everything is, after all. But if everything just abruptly ends and this is it, it would have ended right there, after the first cycle. Earth was apparently a lifeless rock like Mars is, then ice meteorites brought water, the atmosphere formed, and then the first living organisms and seeds must have also arrived with meteorites. Or let's assume they didn't, the information needed to build them from sulfur and water and whatever was available is complex. We understand DNA in our own way, but that is not how it is understood in our own nature or anywhere else in the universe. So for us, there was "before" and there is "after", in some form. Or actually, in many forms. Biomass will become fertilizer, but energy just relocates and maybe changes shape. If the information obtained through the cycle was just lost, there would have been no evolution. We, the humans as a collective, know very little about anything in general.

Last edited:
sanction

sanction

sanctioned
Mar 15, 2019
It would be still considerably less than there are objects in the universe(s), just a tiny fraction. Besides, it is supposed to be a cycle, like everything in our solar system and in the entire universe seems to be. And that would only exist as energy, a collection of data. Every living organism is just electrical impulses in a medium. Theoretical neuroscience estimates that human brain holds approximately 2.5 petabytes of data. That is 300 years worth of uninterrupted continuous audiovisual recording. As far as theories go, place in the brain where mammals store information, is also one. It can't be verified, so it is still a theory. There is also a theory that the brain is just an antenna, and that all the information is stored somewhere outside, and is constantly sent and retrieved. Most likely there are several memory types, just like your average computer has. Genetic memory is the most obvious one. From basic instincts to migration routes and destinations for birds, for example.

So the "afterlife" as it is imagined in religions seems to be an interpretation, everything is, after all. But if everything just abruptly ends and this is it, it would have ended right there, after the first cycle. Earth was apparently a lifeless rock like Mars is, then ice meteorites brought water, the atmosphere formed, and then the first living organisms and seeds must have also arrived with meteorites. Or let's assume they didn't, the information needed to build them from sulfur and water and whatever was available is complex. We understand DNA in our own way, but that is not how it is understood in our own nature or anywhere else in the universe. So for us, there was "before" and there is "after", in some form. Or actually, in many forms. Biomass will become fertilizer, but energy just relocates and maybe changes shape. If the information obtained through the cycle was just lost, there would have been no evolution. We, the humans as a collective, know very little about anything in general.
That is interesting point. That makes sense too

For the "crowded" statement, its more of a jokingly way. Of course I'm not basing it on actually fitting the normal size of humans / animals, into a certain specific size of space.

Because if in that case, just a few JUPITERS can already handle that easily, and even after that theres still many planets left, along with endless room left in all those different galaxies in space and universe, which would take forever to actually fill up to its maximum capacity..... as an example

In my opinion, our human mind is a gift and curse. We are more intelligent than animals, and able to use our brain. At the same time, us poor humans just have too much time to kill on this earth (like a 100 years), we end up having too much time to wander in our minds, imagining all sorts of fantasy, and constantly want to find some "meaning", to justify the point of our existence

Lets say if you forgot to clear out the garbage bin for a week, it will naturally start to breed new life in there as well (bacteria, bugs, etc.). Those bugs in there will live and die inside that super random piece of garbage like nothing ever happened. So us humans aren't that special. We just randomly spawned from sperm as well.

So if we die, it doesn't always have to have so much special meaning or outcomes. Sometimes it could really be as simple as "lights out", just like how the endless ants and insects we keep accidentally stepping on each day since birth, that also constantly live and die randomly just like that

But once again, I could be totally wrong, but thats just my casual opinion

Last edited:
edu0z

edu0z

carried away by a moonlight shadow
Aug 25, 2021
I've been researching this for quite a while and i can assure you that there is an afterlife, many people say it's more real than this life. Now, i don't know what determines where we'll go after this life but just wanted to tell you there is life after death. Look up some of the NDEs if you need further proof. I'm just hoping that we all find our peace and the reality we will face would be more exciting.
very kind... but person's experiences, stories and opinions prove nothing.

Relic

Relic

Astral Corpse
Mar 6, 2021
In my opinion, our human mind is a gift and curse. We are more intelligent than animals, and able to use our brain. At the same time, us poor humans just have too much time to kill on this earth (like a 100 years), we end up having too much time to wander in our minds, imagining all sorts of fantasy, and constantly want to find some "meaning", to justify the point of our existence
Just without meaning, would the ability to think have evolved at all? Let's say, drug induced hallucinations, made up from what? There has to be a source. Those I haven't experienced personally, but I do have nightmares. From when I was seven, and those were something that could not have been derived from anything I had experienced in any form at that time. Human brain still needs a source material to transform. Those were actually worse than the nightmares I've had later, with recognizable elements and derived from the waking life.
Actually, children have told fantastic stories about being someone, with names and events and in great detail. Which have later been confirmed to have occurred. Fantasy is one thing, but there are limits.

Everything has its own frequency, every grain of sand, every object in the universe. That is a lot of waves. What frequency can anyone tune in to depends on the individual. Instant connections with people, indifference or hostility depend on that. In some ways existence is a simulation, to specifically obtain information from different situations and their outcomes. This is an endless process, as far as universe and its data goes, the only greedier entity might be Google.

Alltheywanted

Alltheywanted

I'll just lay here and die
Mar 6, 2023
How can you be so sure of that. Please don't force your beliefs on us, it's annoying.

Reactions: Skathon
R_N

R_N

-Memento Mori-
Dec 3, 2019
How can you be so sure of that. Please don't force your beliefs on us, it's annoying.
While I disagree with op you are not forced to believe in what they do. Some people have different opinions and no one is held at gunpoint and forced to believe in them.

Reactions: Relic
M

Mocon33

Dec 15, 2021
I know God is real but I have never believed in reincarnation or any afterlife whatsoever. Never been able to square those.
I think the moment the lights go out, that's it. For sensory perception of any kind, or thinking, which I don't think one's soul can necessarily do. It might be that your soul exists eternally in whatever plane, but I doubt that's something we experience. Having anecdotal evidence of loss-of-consciousness, at least partly, in certain stages of sleep, seems like pretty good evidence of what it's like when it's over.
God is a nice fantasy, I appreciate that it makes some people feel better, especially as they are approaching death. I never try to disabuse people if the concept is helping them cope with mortality. Personally I am more interested in actual reality, and god is not part of that.

• Wow
Reactions: Skathon and meltdown
meltdown

meltdown

Throw up in your plate
Dec 15, 2023
God is a nice fantasy, I appreciate that it makes some people feel better, especially as they are approaching death. I never try to disabuse people if the concept is helping them cope with mortality. Personally I am more interested in actual reality, and god is not part of that.
Glad to see another proud atheist shattering the stereotype of them all being condescending pseuds!

Reactions: Mocon33
TheSpookyNameGuy

TheSpookyNameGuy

There's nothing here..
Apr 30, 2023
Remember kids:

Near death aint death.

So take these with a pinch of salt, or not.. if you want a comforting thought.