Sylveon

Sylveon

...Anomaly
Oct 10, 2023
Like... the suicide cutting, not the self-harm one.

Reactions: worthIess
dinosavr

dinosavr

and if i’m turning blue please don’t save me 🌛
Dec 14, 2023
Well, there is:
Preamble

I see a lot of posts on this forum mentioning drug poisoning and/or cutting/stabbing as a method of choice.

I want to caution these methods for a few reasons. I respect the right to choose any method but I'm concerned that those using these methods may not be fully informed on the serious risks or incredibly low effectiveness of these methods.

Re: Ineffectiveness and Risks

Indeed, research by Harvard has placed drug poisonings at about 2% effective, and cutting/stabbing at 1% effective. Other studies have placed both drug poisonings and cutting the arms/legs at only 6% effective. Note that these are aggregate statistics including all drug poisonings, meaning that drugs in the PPH (e.g., SN, N, etc.) are still reliable as they aren't represented accurately by these statistics (they are outliers). However, most drugs outside the PPH that I see people mentioning a lot – such as antidepressants, antipsychotics, anti-inflammatory drugs, and the vast majority of OTC or prescription medications – are well-represented by this statistic.

Meanwhile, the number of potential adverse and painful experiences from drug poisonings or cutting – which often involve long-term complications or injury – are considerable. Cutting bears the risk of infectious disease, traumatic organ damage, hospitalization, and more.

Drug poisonings bear the risk of traumatic brain injury, serotonin syndrome, non-fatal seizures (e.g., antidepressants), liver failure which is incredibly drawn out and painful (e.g., medications containing acetaminophen, ibuprofen or paracetamol; many prescription opioids that are combined with anti-inflammatory drugs come to mind), and various psychosomatic effects ranging from nausea, chills, sweats, headaches, hallucinations, tremors, convulsions, muscle pains, abdominal pain, the list goes on...

Part of the reason that these methods are ineffective is because with drug poisonings the potential to vomit up the drugs and fail ctb is incredibly high. Likewise, with cutting one is very likely to pass out before they can make deep enough and a high enough number of cuts to reliably die.

For these reasons, drug poisonings and cutting can not be considered reliable or peaceful. The only benefit is accessibility but accessibility isn't very meaningful if it just means waking up traumatized in hospital with serious long-term injuries.

I recommend against these methods due to the considerably low efficacy and very high risk of these methods. If one chooses to attempt them regardless, consider an anti-emetic to reduce vomiting and be sure you are informed on the high-risk low-benefit nature of these methods. Even with anti-emetics or methods to reduce/prevent vomiting, drug-poisonings should still be considered unreliable.

There are far lower risk, more effective, and accessible alternatives such as gas (AKA exit bag), charcoal, SN, etc.

Re: Spontaneous and Poorly Planned CTB

The majority of people I see attempting these methods tend to be the ones making spontaneous attempts at ctb. Unless someone is hunting you down to do egregious things to you and time is of the essence (or whatever similar corollary), then please plan your suicide thoroughly with adequate deliberation, materials, etc.

I know it sucks because our fundamental existential dread just wants us to fucking die already; I can relate. But there can be serious consequences to under planned or spontaneous suicide attempts that just make the dread and suffering worse. Take the time to plan and be mindful rather than hastefully ctb.

The benefits of psychospiritual preparation for dying are enormous. While we prepare, I urge people to take the time to meditate on how to ease oneself into dying gracefully. Savour the small joys, even if they are rare or only come during moments of simultaneous pain. Go slow and be easy on yourself. I say this with utmost care to reduce suffering.

May you find peace in living or dying ❤️
-Rhizo
https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/a-caution-about-drug-poisonings-ods-and-cutting.144879/

• Love
Reactions: Rhizomorph1, Crono, Praestat_Mori and 1 other person
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Thank you, but I already checked that out. 😅

What I meant was if there's any thread that provides instructions on how to do it, like the type of blade, where and how deep I should go, etc.

(Am I missing something?)
Am not 100% sure but I haven't seen any thread on it except the caution thread. Due to it's very low success rate it is repeatedly discouraged.

Reactions: Sylveon
dinosavr

dinosavr

and if i’m turning blue please don’t save me 🌛
Dec 14, 2023

What I meant was if there's any thread that provides instructions on how to do it, like the type of blade, where and how deep I should go, etc.

I guess there are instructions somewhere but please reconsider dumping this method. It's highly unreliable and painful:(

Reactions: beelzebul and Sylveon
Sylveon

Sylveon

...Anomaly
Oct 10, 2023
I guess there are instructions somewhere but please reconsider dumping this method. It's highly unreliable and painful:(
I don't/didn't wanna resort to this method either, but it seems as though I've no other choice. :/

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I don't/didn't wanna resort to this method either, but it seems as though I've no other choice. :/
Well, cutting/slitting/bleeding out has a low success rate, it needs a lot of SI to be defeated, it includes a lot of pain, mess and all that. I don't know of any megathread bc of that. If you really wanna succeed with that method you either have to consider Seppuku or cut your throat like a butcher does when they slaughter animals, but I doubt you can do that to yourself with your own hands to have a real "quick" death.

Why can't you consider any other method?

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
No, because it's not a reliable or recommended suicide method, in fact it's always advised against because from what I'm aware it has a less than 2% success rate.

Sylveon

Sylveon

...Anomaly
Oct 10, 2023
Why can't you consider any other method?
Most (if not all) of the methods that I know of are inaccessible to me for one reason or another (sometimes for really silly ones). Cutting and the train method are the only two methods I can reliably access, but I've already chickened out of the train one once, and even if I went back, I would throw myself in front of not exactly the fastest of trains (prolly because there are 4 different stations in my city), so that leaves cutting as the only method, but even then, I'm not very hopeful because... you know, that 1.9% stat. 😐

• Hugs
Reactions: worthIess and Praestat_Mori
Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

May you find peace in living or dying
Oct 24, 2023
Most (if not all) of the methods that I know of are inaccessible to me for one reason or another (sometimes for really silly ones). Cutting and the train method are the only two methods I can reliably access, but I've already chickened out of the train one once, and even if I went back, I would throw myself in front of not exactly the fastest of trains (prolly because there are 4 different stations in my city), so that leaves cutting as the only method, but even then, I'm not very hopeful because... you know, that 1.9% stat. 😐
Is hanging inaccessible? All it needs is a strong rope and ankor point to tie yourself to, along with some privacy for a certain period of time.

Hanging is approximately 69-89% effective according to different studies.

Hanging is rated as 25 out of 100 versus cutting/stabbing the arms/legs as 71 out of 100. Although this is somewhat of a subjective rating, hanging is almost certainly more peaceful comparatively.

You can also combine hanging with drugs like alcohol or benzodiazepines to reduce SI without it considerably reducing the reliability of the method, unlike with cutting where it will influence blood pressure and result in loss of consciousness quicker preventing necessary bleeding, deep enough, and number of cuts.

I would seriously advise formulating a well thought out and deliberated plan – preferably over the course of a few months or more – to aquire a rope and read up on the hanging guides if all else is truly inaccessible.

I sure hope you are above the age of 18. I suspect there are minors here who cannot access certain methods or are not thinking this all the way through because of family situations/the lack of autonomy that accompanies being a minor. In case you are, please reconsider. The brain is still developing. If you happen to be a minor, reach out and I can send you resources on person-centered youth services for suicide in your country.

Otherwise, I invite you to play it smart so you don't cause yourself needless suffering. Just about any other method is advised.

You won't – or at l sst shouldn't – find any guides on how to perform this method because any guide is essentially encouraging people to suffer needlessly and fail suicide which is not in alignment with the harm reductive, person-centered values that this site is trying to put forth.

-Rhizo

Last edited:
Reactions: Sylveon and Praestat_Mori
Sylveon

Sylveon

...Anomaly
Oct 10, 2023
Is hanging inaccessible? All it needs is a strong rope and ankor point to tie yourself to, along with some privacy for a certain period of time.

Hanging is approximately 69-89% effective according to different studies.

Hanging is rated as 25 out of 100 versus cutting/stabbing the arms/legs as 71 out of 100. Although this is somewhat of a subjective rating, hanging is almost certainly more peaceful comparatively.

You can also combine hanging with drugs like alcohol or benzodiazepines to reduce SI without it considerably reducing the reliability of the method, unlike with cutting where it will influence blood pressure and result in loss of consciousness quicker preventing necessary bleeding, deep enough, and number of cuts.

I would seriously advise formulating a well thought out and deliberated plan – preferably over the course of a few months or more – to aquire a rope and read up on the hanging guides if all else is truly inaccessible.

I sure hope you are above the age of 18. I suspect there are minors here who cannot access certain methods or are not thinking this all the way through because of family situations/the lack of autonomy that accompanies being a minor. In case you are, please reconsider. The brain is still developing. If you happen to be a minor, reach out and I can send you resources on person-centered youth services for suicide in your country.

Otherwise, I invite you to play it smart so you don't cause yourself needless suffering. Just about any other method is advised.

You won't find any guides on how to perform this method because any guide is essentially encouraging people to suffer needlessly and fail suicide which is not in alignment with the harm reductive, person-centered values that this site is trying to put forth.

-Rhizo
Hiya, thanks for replying; I really appreciate it.

As for hanging, it was one of the first methods I considered, and I do have an anchor point but no rope or privacy. My parents caught me self-harming last year, and since then they've made it so that I can't lock my door.

But even if I do manage to convince them, make it so that I can lock my door (it won't work though; I've been trying to convince them for the last 8 months). I doubt that bringing the rope inside the home would go unnoticed. Now, this may sound really silly, but our house is not very big (it's like... everything that's in the house is in front of your eyes all the time), so it means that I can't hide the rope anywhere, and that is, if I even manage to sneak it in to begin with.

And lastly, I'm not a minor (😅); I'm 18 RN and will be 19 next month. I guess my best bet would be to wait another year and do it when I move out (just hope they don't start installing those anti-suicide fans, lol).

Rhizomorph1

Rhizomorph1

May you find peace in living or dying
Oct 24, 2023

Hiya, thanks for replying; I really appreciate it.

As for hanging, it was one of the first methods I considered, and I do have an anchor point but no rope or privacy. My parents caught me self-harming last year, and since then they've made it so that I can't lock my door.

But even if I do manage to convince them, make it so that I can lock my door (it won't work though; I've been trying to convince them for the last 8 months). I doubt that bringing the rope inside the home would go unnoticed. Now, this may sound really silly, but our house is not very big (it's like... everything that's in the house is in front of your eyes all the time), so it means that I can't hide the rope anywhere, and that is, if I even manage to sneak it in to begin with.

And lastly, I'm not a minor (😅); I'm 18 RN and will be 19 next month. I guess my best bet would be to wait another year and do it when I move out (just hope they don't start installing those anti-suicide fans, lol).
Are you able to get a hotel? You could purchase the rope on the same day you plan to ctb and head straight to the hotel.

There are also trees in nearby forests depending on where you live.

The various workarounds for your personal barriers to hanging, as much as they require some planning, are worth it compared to cutting.

It might require getting a bit creative around location/etc. but will pay off in the long run.

18 is quite young. It's not too young but I am suggesting that there may likely be hope for recovery, if you wanted to chat about it. I don't know your situation, but feel free to PM me anytime. I have a lot of experience in mental health, person-centered, and compassionate communication and will only focus on exploring your options from whatever choice you wish to make.

Food for thought ❤️

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: divinemistress36 and Sylveon
Sylveon

Sylveon

...Anomaly
Oct 10, 2023
I can try getting a hotel, but I need a specific ID for it; that is... well, with my parents, and there are actually a lot of trees where I live, but most of them are eucalyptus, and the covering isn't very deep or dense, so I'll defo be noticed (and it's not even far from my home; I actually live within this what you can call a small tree cover), and unfortunately, the next best tree cover comes on the outskirts of my city, which is really far, and I've barely ever gone there to even be certain about it being a safe space for the act. :/

But yeah, I won't be proceeding with cutting until I'm absolutely certain about the steps involved and that it won't leave me permanently damaged if I fail.

Last edited:
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023

This is a fine line for me. I agree with proper teaching of effective ctb because I know that the consequences of failure or lack of knowledge can be incredibly disastrous, but I'm against teaching self harm because I stand by better means of coping and am against giving people new bad addictions. I can see such a thread be used as more than just a means to ctb, so I can't say I'd be comfortable with one existing.

Reactions: Sylveon and Circles
C

Circles

Visionary
Sep 3, 2018
Like... the suicide cutting, not the self-harm one.
Well technically there isn't a main one from what I've seen especially since it doesn't have a high success rate. But if you're still interested here's what I found on the subject:

And if you want and I implore you to do is to research this yourself more carefully before deciding on this method.