• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

U

unfortunatelyme

Sep 13, 2020
But I'm scared. My mental illness(undiagnosed) has become my personality, its who I am. I really cant remember a time when I didn't feel like shit. I don't know who I am without and shit does that sound depressing. What if I go there and they tell me there is nothing wrong with me? what if it's all in my head(pun intended)? But I'm so tired I'm exhausted of feeling like this all the time. I want to feel ok with existing.
Can yall tell me your experience with it?
Are there things I shouldtn say so I dont get involuntary admitted?
Is there anything I should ask my doc?
Thank you in advance.

xLosthopex

xLosthopex

Tell my dogs I love them
May 29, 2020
You're not going to get involuntarily admitted unless you say you're about to kill yourself or someone else
I've been in the mental health service for nearly 10 years, it's really nothing to be afraid of, but I guess the concern you have about being invalidated or that there's nothing actually wrong with you is understandable as unfortunately that's a problem I've heard of many people facing in MH services
Can I ask you what disorder/s you think you have and what your symptoms are?

Reactions: Sensei and sadworld
D

Deleted member 23374

deministrator
Nov 1, 2020
some thoughts<--from experiences.

If i was in the place you are right now as per OP:

i think it's good to brace yourself for the possibility of being told there's nothing wrong with you
to help keep your temper, if you have one, under control.

Be clear about wanting to address/arrest this slide before it gets worse.

You might end up with a diagnosis.

You might be put on a medication that may require initial observation.

If you're leaning towards life be clear about that.

that's all the points that came to me.

U

unfortunatelyme

Sep 13, 2020
I really dont know, but I'm anxious maybe depressed among other things
I feel nothing
My soul is dead I'm waiting for my body to catch up

Deleted member 23586

Deleted member 23586

Hope ur final midnight feels like the hug you need
Nov 8, 2020
I felt this exact same way that you did. I heard and repeated every negative thing that was ever said about me. I need to know if they were all right and I was just a selfish narcissist. But you know what happened? When they told me all the issues I had (that I previously researched for years in thinking I had them), They confirmed everything I thought I actually had. When they told me it wasnt all in my head, it was the most validating thing ever. It was like a big fuck you to every person who didn't listen, didn't believe me, put me down, was ableist, and abusive to me. It told me that I should've been handled with care. It told me that all the abuse I got was not warranted and that it made everything much worse. It made me see that, "maybe it wasn't my fault. Maybe I didnt deserve this". It quieted the noise slightly. I still hear them, I still feel the negativity and pain, but I know had something to quiet the noise a lil bit. It gave me a weapon to use to attack them back. And I hope the same happens for you.

U

unfortunatelyme

Sep 13, 2020
Thank you so much, I think that would actually be helpful. Did they give you anything?

nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
Since most mental health diagnoses (especially in the depression/anxiety realm) rely on the patient self-reporting symptoms, an ethical psychiatrist has no reason to doubt someone who comes in and says "I feel terrible" if they aren't then like "and also write me a prescription for a benzo please" or something.

As far as safely disclosing information, opening with stuff like "I wish I wasn't here" or "I'd rather not wake up tomorrow" if they ask about suicidal thoughts (and they should if you're presenting with depressive symptoms) and seeing how they react hasn't let me down yet. The amount of "slack" a MH professional gives suicidal clients/patients comes down to the person, but you can't get locked up for sometimes wishing you didn't have to be alive anymore.

The main job of a psychiatrist is to dispense and monitor medication, so while you might get a referral to a therapist too, they'll probably want to start you on a low dosage of one of the more common SSRIs. If you choose to take it, this would be a good time to check webMD or the Mayo Clinic website to make sure your doctor is actually starting you on an appropriate dose. In my experience, they'll ask to meet every ~4 weeks at first to monitor symptoms and side-effects and tweak dosages.

You've been feeling terrible for so long, so I'd say it's at least worth a shot to consult a professional for their opinion :heart: :hug:

Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
It can be incredibly beneficial for some people so it's worth a shot. For me I try to avoid making it all about being suicidal to keep myself in the clear and instead focus on things that actually make my life stressful so I can address the problem indirectly.

MindFrog

MindFrog

:Professional Hypocrite:
Nov 19, 2020
What if I go there and they tell me there is nothing wrong with me? what if it's all in my head(pun intended)?

Think of it like a normal check up. The doctor wouldn't think any of it even if it did turn out that way. I think its a good idea to get diagnosed.

Although i advice doing some research before all of this. Maybe try to pick a psychiatrist you're comfortable with. Read some reviews. Check if you think you'll feel comfortable talking to him/her. Think of the topics that might come up to the check up and align it with the doctor you prefer. For example, some gayfolks will seek out psychiatrist who is often lgbt friendly and so on.

Making a list of your symptoms helps too. Especially if you have anxiety when talking to people (like me).

It would be nice if you have someone you trust accompany you. It'll be preferable if its a person that can help you tell the psychiatrist your situation, but even just having someone wait for you outside can be good moral support already.

Lastly, always remember that psychiatrists are people too. They can make mistakes or can just not be compatible with you. Dont feel bad if you think its time to change your doctor. It happens to the best of us.

I wish you luck man. I hope this helps a bit.

Reactions: unfortunatelyme
U

unfortunatelyme

Sep 13, 2020
Think of it like a normal check up. The doctor wouldn't think any of it even if it did turn out that way. I think its a good idea to get diagnosed.

Although i advice doing some research before all of this. Maybe try to pick a psychiatrist you're comfortable with. Read some reviews. Check if you think you'll feel comfortable talking to him/her. Think of the topics that might come up to the check up and align it with the doctor you prefer. For example, some gayfolks will seek out psychiatrist who is often lgbt friendly and so on.

Making a list of your symptoms helps too. Especially if you have anxiety when talking to people (like me).

It would be nice if you have someone you trust accompany you. It'll be preferable if its a person that can help you tell the psychiatrist your situation, but even just having someone wait for you outside can be good moral support already.

Lastly, always remember that psychiatrists are people too. They can make mistakes or can just not be compatible with you. Dont feel bad if you think its time to change your doctor. It happens to the best of us.

I wish you luck man. I hope this helps a bit.
It does thank you.

• Hugs
Reactions: MindFrog
_Kaira_

_Kaira_

This Isn't Fine
Oct 2, 2020
I see my therapist and psychiatrist frequently.
If I do talk about the topic of suicide in any form, I always make sure to say "but I am not a current danger to myself..."
every time, just to make sure I don't get called on. If I don't they always end up asking if I am anyway.

Personally. I like my doctors. They don't REALLY help me. But they're more tolerable to talk to than most I've met with. It's tiring, but I am practically forced to see people. Otherwise I'd probably quit seeing anyone at this point. I really do hope things work out for you and you get the help you want though.