dogemn

dogemn

All the nights I don't die
May 30, 2023
You'd just do it. Do you think that's true?
Is telling people about it just attention seeking behavior?

Reactions: outrider567 and cscott
Solution
briarrose
i think attention seeking behavior is oftentimes a cry for help, and even if someone may truly want to ctb, they may also be hoping that by telling someone things may get better. we're all desperate to escape our pain one way or another, and no matter how badly someone wants to ctb they may also be hoping that the pain can go away without having to resort to risky, drastic measures. after all, after a failed attempt, things only get worse. more than death, they may fear a failed attempt.

though, no matter the reason they tell someone they're going to/want to ctb, be it survival instinct or a cry for help or something else entirely, i don't think it inherently means they don't actually want to ctb.
Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
I was having an argument with my mom though and I said that I hated having to exist and be a human. Then she said something like "well just go die already then".
😠

What a gross retaliation. Perhaps she's not deserving of a uterus. Regardless of her anger or apprehension, it's just a stupid, careless, cold statement.

🫂

Last edited:
Reactions: sserafim
Upvote 0
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Wow that's shitty that your mom said that. I bet she doesn't take you seriously.
Yeah I think she thought that I wasn't serious. She also was like "well what do you want me to do about it?" Ugh I'm so tired of existing…

• Aww..
Reactions: Foreverix
Upvote 0
Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
Well, Shia certainly agrees.

just do it GIF

Thanks, Shia.

Upvote 0
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think it depends really. Imagine if assisted suicide was legalised for a wider spectrum of people. Would people who told others of their plans be attention seeking then? No- probably not. They would most likely be trying to give them fair warning to come to terms with the decision and say their goodbyes.

I think people who care about what affect their suicide may have on those left behind may believe that giving them forewarning might prepare them better.

That said- it could well be attention seeking. It may even be emotional blackmail- I'll kill myself if you do or don't do this type of thing. Depends on the person and their motive.

Still- it's actually kind of sad I think when people criticise others for doing it for attention. Are they not worthy of attention or concern or love then? It's got to have got to quite a desperate point if they actually believe that person is willing to risk killing themselves- just to get a few crumbs of affection. Yet- they blame the person for being too needy. Kind of sad really.

Reactions: whateverr, dogemn and Homo erectus
Upvote 0
Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
It is based on the assumption that ctb is bad or shameful that it should be done secretly. But it doesn't have to be that way. If one thinks it is a good (or just neutral) thing, it will be fine to share the joy, relief, or inform, discuss, with other people.

Reactions: whateverr
Upvote 0
BeautifulDoll

BeautifulDoll

Oct 4, 2023
When people do reach out it's often a cry for help. They want someone to stop them, to love them.

Upvote 0
dumbgirlonline

dumbgirlonline

Nighty Night Princess
Sep 30, 2023
people cope in different ways. Just because you don't want to talk about it, doesn't mean that others wouldn't want to. Some people genuinely don't want to feel like they want to CTB and try to reach out . As if suicide needs to be stigmatized any more.

Upvote 0
W

whateverr

Oct 19, 2021
You'd just do it. Do you think that's true?
Is telling people about it just attention seeking behavior?
Not necessarily, because the methods for ctb are so fucked up. If it were legal to have a guaranteed, relatively peaceful death, that would be a different story. With the legality of suicide being what it is, a lot of people who want to ctb talk about it on their way toward committing suicide or genuinely wanting to commit suicide.

Upvote 0
BlockHammer

BlockHammer

Confused loser
Oct 25, 2023
There're 2 risk if u tell them about this, first someone gonna go to ur home and prevent you to do ctb. At worst, they police gonna send you to psych ward. Second, they just gonna call you an attention seeking, edgelord or having some sort of victim mentality, so overall i dont think it's a good idea to tell someone about ctb

Upvote 0
tinyghost

tinyghost

go home at dawn sleep in the sun
Sep 13, 2023
when im planning an attempt, i desperately want to talk about it but cant because it would put a stop to it. thats largely why i value this site and community. not everyone has found it, and i dont blame them for it eating away at them enough to say something. especially when you know you are living your final days and no one else does. a ton of people who go on to kill themselves say theyre going to do it, so i dont think it necessarily means theyre just looking for attention.

Upvote 0