mrwonderful

mrwonderful

May 21, 2019
I have very severe social anxiety and I've been suffering from it for about 2 years and up until now it has peaked. I was supposed to go to a doctors appointment last week to ask about the med but I had too much anxiety, stayed up all night, and did not end up going. Today I forced myself to go and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I got 20 40mg pills and took one today. After a few hours I felt more relaxed than I had felt in a while, I went out in public and I could actually walk with confidence. I still get a minor slight nervous tick but I hope that goes away in the future. I am also taking 300mg seroquel (1 100mg in morning 2 100mg at night)
1g Mylan-Divalproex ( 1 500mg morning 1 500mg at night)
And 600mg Lithium at night in case anybody was wondering.
Does anybody have any good/bad experiences with propranolol? I'd love to hear.

Reactions: Circles
M

Mysterymeat

May 24, 2019
I take propranolol for the same reason. Well, I'm on klonopin too but I'm trying desperately to get off it because it has worsened my depression. The propranolol eliminates the shakes I get from anxiety. And my body feels more at ease. So, it's definitely helpful and not harmful in the long term like benzos.
Some doctors will even prescribe another med meant for blood pressure to treat anxiety. Clonidine Is the name. Makes you a bit drowsy though.

Reactions: Circles
not_a_robot

not_a_robot

"i hope the leaving is joyful, & never to return"
May 30, 2019
I have very severe social anxiety and I've been suffering from it for about 2 years and up until now it has peaked. I was supposed to go to a doctors appointment last week to ask about the med but I had too much anxiety, stayed up all night, and did not end up going. Today I forced myself to go and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I got 20 40mg pills and took one today. After a few hours I felt more relaxed than I had felt in a while, I went out in public and I could actually walk with confidence. I still get a minor slight nervous tick but I hope that goes away in the future. I am also taking 300mg seroquel (1 100mg in morning 2 100mg at night)
I do the same thing before appointments. Can't sleep for a week. I hope the meds help you. They all made me feel like dirt, even low-lithium. I'm in the 1% who are most sensitive to side effects. I can only smoke weed.

Reactions: PatKat and mrwonderful
mrwonderful

mrwonderful

May 21, 2019
I don't like being on lithoum because of the tremors but I am scared to go off of it because of the withdrawal symptoms, and the fear of having a psychotic episode.

Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
How come your doc, didn't prescribe you some Xanax?

mrwonderful

mrwonderful

May 21, 2019
How come your doc, didn't prescribe you some Xanax?
My doctor is afraid that I will abuse it. He also recommends that I go to a psychiatrist. I live in a small town and the nearest psychiatrist is 2 hours away, he is also an ignorant c*nt.

Reactions: Severen
Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
propranolol is a beta-blocker, which will help reduce your physiological response stress/anxiety (bp, heart rate, sweating, etc).
The theory is that by stopping the stress response, it will stop a stress/anxiety feedback cycle, and if your body is less stressed, you'll feel less stressed/anxious.

Nevertheless, your doctor could write time release Xanax, maybe 30 for 6 months. If he controls the pill count, how will you abuse?

Severen

Severen

Enlightened
Jun 30, 2018
My doctor is afraid that I will abuse it. He also recommends that I go to a psychiatrist. I live in a small town and the nearest psychiatrist is 2 hours away, he is also an ignorant c*nt.

What a fucking dickhead and a coward. It shouldn't be his place to assume you will abuse it or not, without any evidence of you abusing it in the past... If a doctor is soooo afraid of the CDC or DEA coming after his ass, then maybe he shouldn't be a doctor in the first place. Who the fuck told him, being a doctor is going to be 100% risk free?

Last edited:
mrwonderful

mrwonderful

May 21, 2019
propranolol is a beta-blocker, which will help reduce your physiological response stress/anxiety (bp, heart rate, sweating, etc).
The theory is that by stopping the stress response, it will stop a stress/anxiety feedback cycle, and if your body is less stressed, you'll feel less stressed/anxious.

Nevertheless, your doctor could write time release Xanax, maybe 30 for 6 months. If he controls the pill count, how will you abuse?
I could ask him on my next appointment but xanax is pretty strong I dont think he would go for it. The doctors here are leery to prescribe benzos. Especially 30 pills for 6 months
What a fucking dickhead and a coward. It shouldn't be his place to assume you will abuse it or not, without any evidence of you abusing it in the past... If a doctor is soooo afraid of the CDC or DEA coming after his ass, then maybe he shouldn't be a doctor in the first place.
I have an overdose on record that happened about a year and a half ago, I downed all the prescriptions of mine I could find, had to drink charcoal and ended up in the hospital for a day.
What a fucking dickhead and a coward. It shouldn't be his place to assume you will abuse it or not, without any evidence of you abusing it in the past... If a doctor is soooo afraid of the CDC or DEA coming after his ass, then maybe he shouldn't be a doctor in the first place. Who the fuck told him, being a doctor is going to be 100% risk free?
My psych doctor in the city handed me 2 prescriptions within 10 minutes lol

Last edited:
Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
30 pills for 6 months is nothing. If you have history of overdose, 10 won't kill you. Ask for 10.

Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
I'll give it a go and see what he has to say
Explain that if you're going to move forward emotionally, you need the security of having some Xanax if needed.

Reactions: sufferingalways
mrwonderful

mrwonderful

May 21, 2019
I currently have a prescription for oxazepam 10mg, 10 pills and have 3 months left on it, he might get suspicious prescribed for sleep as needed

Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
I currently have a prescription for oxazepam 10mg, 10 pills and have 3 months left on it, he might get suspicious prescribed for sleep as needed
Well, maybe you need klonopin then. But time release vs regular Xanax sounds reasonable too.

mrwonderful

mrwonderful

May 21, 2019
Well, maybe you need klonopin then. But time release vs regular Xanax sounds reasonable too.
Time release would work better, my oxazepam only last a few hours and then it wears out and I become tired and antisocial. Bleh

Jen Erik

Jen Erik

-
Oct 12, 2018
After a few hours I felt more relaxed than I had felt in a while, I went out in public and I could actually walk with confidence.
I've had precisely the same experience with it.

It helped tremendously with physical symptoms of anxiety, racing heartbeat in particular.

I was taking 20mg, 4x a day (every 6 hours). Eventually I needed it less and less, so now I only take it as needed during the day, which isn't very often, and then 30mg at bedtime to sleep, along with gabapentin and baclofen.

Reactions: sufferingalways and mrwonderful
C

CelestialSky

May 25, 2019
I was prescribed Inderal for anxiety, and I found it really helpful. You still have the internal worries & thoughts but it helps get rid of the debilitating adrenaline pumping through your veins (well it lowers the intensity anyway), and the other physical symptoms one gets when in anxious situations. It's not a sedative so it's not as calming as a benzo, but it definitely helps take the edge off without making you drowsy.

Reactions: mrwonderful
mrwonderful

mrwonderful

May 21, 2019
I've had precisely the same experience with it.

It helped tremendously with physical symptoms of anxiety, racing heartbeat in particular.

I was taking 20mg, 4x a day (every 6 hours). Eventually I needed it less and less, so now I only take it as needed during the day, which isn't very often, and then 30mg at bedtime to sleep, along with gabapentin and baclofen.
I'm glad you had a good experience with it :) Is there a reason you took it 4 times a day ? I was only prescribed once daily.
I was prescribed Inderal for anxiety, and I found it really helpful. You still have the internal worries & thoughts but it helps get rid of the debilitating adrenaline pumping through your veins (well it lowers the intensity anyway), and the other physical symptoms one gets when in anxious situations. It's not a sedative so it's not as calming as a benzo, but it definitely helps take the edge off without making you drowsy.
I completely agree I didn't feel drowsy just more fluid

Reactions: Jen Erik
Jen Erik

Jen Erik

-
Oct 12, 2018
I'm glad you had a good experience with it :) Is there a reason you took it 4 times a day ? I was only prescribed once daily.
I started out at once a day as well, 10mg.

The half-life of propranolol is just a bit under 6 hours, so that was the rational for dosing 4x a day, to keep a constant level in my system; it would have been better to be on the time-release formula in that situation, but it's not covered by my insurance.

I hope it continues to bring you relief.

Reactions: mrwonderful
mrwonderful

mrwonderful

May 21, 2019
I started out at once a day as well, 10mg.

The half-life of propranolol is just a bit under 6 hours, so that was the rational for dosing 4x a day, to keep a constant level in my system; it would have been better to be on the time-release formula in that situation, but it's not covered by my insurance.

I hope it continues to bring you relief.
Thank you for sharing, I hope that I dont have to adjust my dosing schedule

Reactions: Jen Erik
FrankieMay

FrankieMay

May 21, 2019
What did you guys find to work for ticks? Propranolol didn't help me much. I tried to ctb on it so my doctor doesn't want to prescribe again, so annoying

• Wow
Reactions: jake3d
J

jake3d

Enlightened
May 29, 2019
I tried to ctb on it so my doctor doesn't want to prescribe again, so annoying

Well, no small wonder there. What happened, you didn't take enough of it, did you? Also, did it feel painful at all, or did you just wake up in hospital with no memory of what happened?

FrankieMay

FrankieMay

May 21, 2019
Well, no small wonder there. What happened, you didn't take enough of it, did you? Also, did it feel painful at all, or did you just wake up in hospital with no memory of what happened?
Took enough, just got caught. I underestimated how much alone time I needed. Woke up in hospital with no memory. Check the propranolol mega thread for a full rundown, I'm fine now though

sufferingalways

sufferingalways

Avoiding flashing images, epilepsy.
Apr 26, 2020

Hi i was prescribed propanolol for migraines. They gave me relief if the noise wasn't still going on when i tske them.
Plus was prescribed another .. zomig, this ones a preventative medicine, that they only give in a pack of 6 or something. Nowadays i take cocodamol for the headaches, or aspirin. Somehow the aspirin works faster.