• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
I used to volunteer at a cat cafe. Though I used to make mistakes and such, I got scolded once. But I loved being there. However my mental health and college would get int he way. However since imm not doing anything and school doesnt open up till February, maybe I could occupy myself with volunteering next month. But I feel like my bad rep might make them not choose me (though they remember me and seem to like me). I feel I am nothing but a burden

NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Experienced
Dec 28, 2020
I'll stay anon for now, but yeah its cool. I just feel like I will be full on rejected
Idk...places like this could always use more volunteers. If you apologized to them and explained how busy school got and tell them how much you like the place/ cats (idk how they'd react to mental/emotional stuff) they'd understand for sure. If not, be friendly, smile and give them a way to contact you 9start with phone number if not give them your email). Then come in 1-2 times a week and really love on the cats as a customer still being friendly. After a few weeks they'll be contacting you to come in and work with them.

Idk what country you live in but this is how I've gotten 2 jobs in the US. They're questioning your reliability and whether or not you want to be there. Show them you do by showing up, being friendly and being there. It's suuuuper awkward at first considering the initial rejection but worth it in the end and they respect you more because you stuck with it. However they may just say yes your first time and you could avoid all the hassle...

The kitties are definitley worth it to me though

Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
Idk...places like this could always use more volunteers. If you apologized to them and explained how busy school got and tell them how much you like the place/ cats (idk how they'd react to mental/emotional stuff) they'd understand for sure. If not, be friendly, smile and give them a way to contact you 9start with phone number if not give them your email). Then come in 1-2 times a week and really love on the cats as a customer still being friendly. After a few weeks they'll be contacting you to come in and work with them.

Idk what country you live in but this is how I've gotten 2 jobs in the US. They're questioning your reliability and whether or not you want to be there. Show them you do by showing up, being friendly and being there. It's suuuuper awkward at first considering the initial rejection but worth it in the end and they respect you more because you stuck with it. However they may just say yes your first time and you could avoid all the hassle...

The kitties are definitley worth it to me though
I live in the US. I should also probably ask my school about job offers too. But anyways, this is gonna sound babyish but part of why I never committed to anything was due to a lack of responsibility on my end, and struggles with mental health

I already go to the cat cafe frequently, so I'll still ask I guess. I'm afraid of having a real job.

NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Experienced
Dec 28, 2020
I live in the US. I should also probably ask my school about job offers too. But anyways, this is gonna sound babyish but part of why I never committed to anything was due to a lack of responsibility on my end, and struggles with mental health

I already go to the cat cafe frequently, so I'll still ask I guess. I'm afraid of having a real job.
I would definitely ask your school about job offers that will pay you. I understand the mental health exhaustion though, would it be too much to apply for those while you volunteer at the cat café? If so I totally understand and maybe it would be best to focus on one or the other, or do one at a time. A cat café is definitely unique for a resume though, especially in the States.

Do you know if there's a way you could work later in the day? I don't know your class schedules or when the cafe is open but it really helped me going through school to set everything after 11am/12pm even if that meant being in classes/work/meetings until 9pm. Just a suggestion, idk how your college schedules things.

Also, if you're not sure you're ready for a real job volunteering is great! (Sorry, I'm only pushing this so much because I'm excited to see someone wanting to volunteer. I remember hosting events or setting up drives it seemed like no one cared about unless there were consequences for them. So you wanting to volunteer from your heart is amazing)

Lotus

Lotus

Experienced
Dec 17, 2019
It sounds really lovely. I wish I had the opportunity to volunteer at a cat cafe. I encourage you to volunteer if it's helping you to cope with your everyday life. It's a place you can go to, get some responsibility but not as much as a regular job, and you're around lots of cats. I hope you get the opportunity to volunteer there again.

Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
I would definitely ask your school about job offers that will pay you. I understand the mental health exhaustion though, would it be too much to apply for those while you volunteer at the cat café? If so I totally understand and maybe it would be best to focus on one or the other, or do one at a time. A cat café is definitely unique for a resume though, especially in the States.

Do you know if there's a way you could work later in the day? I don't know your class schedules or when the cafe is open but it really helped me going through school to set everything after 11am/12pm even if that meant being in classes/work/meetings until 9pm. Just a suggestion, idk how your college schedules things.

Also, if you're not sure you're ready for a real job volunteering is great! (Sorry, I'm only pushing this so much because I'm excited to see someone wanting to volunteer. I remember hosting events or setting up drives it seemed like no one cared about unless there were consequences for them. So you wanting to volunteer from your heart is amazing)
thanks. I reached out to my school counselor about jobs. But ill still go ask about volunteering too

anyways I feel bad since my dad is 57 works hard for me and my brother, and I feel like a 23 year old leech
It sounds really lovely. I wish I had the opportunity to volunteer at a cat cafe. I encourage you to volunteer if it's helping you to cope with your everyday life. It's a place you can go to, get some responsibility but not as much as a regular job, and you're around lots of cats. I hope you get the opportunity to volunteer there again.
I hope so too

• Hugs
Reactions: NeverSatisfied
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Experienced
Dec 28, 2020
anyways I feel bad since my dad is 57 works hard for me and my brother, and I feel like a 23 year old leech
Hey, no need to feel like a leech. You want to volunteer and/or get a job which is so much more than a lot of other people your age who just party. Parents knew what they were signing up for when they became parents so *shrugs*

Water-Lily

Water-Lily

Enlightened
Dec 26, 2020
Hey, no need to feel like a leech. You want to volunteer and/or get a job which is so much more than a lot of other people your age who just party. Parents knew what they were signing up for when they became parents so *shrugs*
I have some friends who are already working so I feel behind the game

• Hugs
Reactions: NeverSatisfied
Pookie

Pookie

Somebody you used to know.
Oct 18, 2020
Do it! I used to volunteer for two charities and it was very rewarding. It got me out of my narrow mind space and distracted me from my self-hatred because I felt I was doing something of worth, something that had purpose that was making other people's lives a little easier.

I wish I could volunteer at a cat café but I'm allergic to certain cats (not all cats, strangly.) Interaction with animals has a very positive effect on mental health.

• Hugs
Reactions: LONE WOLF.
LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020
I've been volunteering at a local community farm since 2017,and since a l grew up on a 250 acre dairy/arable farm l really enjoyed it it and can't wait to get back there in 2021 when I can depending on the covid-19 situation! I love farming and it's the only time l feel like myself and best of all l van take my furry best m8 there with me!

Reactions: Pookie