paredler

paredler

Student
Jul 31, 2022
Honestly, he has no breakthrough when it comes to advising how to live a healthier life.
He just repeats the same futile bullshit everyone says. "You want to eat less? Then don't buy fat products at the grocery store" Wow! What a discovery! What would I have done without you, Dr. K. In the end, it's not helpful at all.

I think mental health professionals and motivational speakers like Dr. K should just admit they have no idea how to solve laziness and addiction problems. Our crave for high dopamine and resting is way stronger than us, we can't control it. We are passive actors that have no agency on our lives and even our own bodies and souls. We're stuck our bodily prisons constrained by instincts, biological drives and brain function We have zero mental, intellectual and physical resources to tackle these problems.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, DunnoWhyButYeah, Lost in a Dream and 6 others
Lightkeeper

Lightkeeper

Goats are like mushrooms - I'm scared of toasters
Jul 28, 2024
He just repeats the same futile bullshit everyone says.
That's basically Youtube in a nutshell. I don't follow Dr K anymore, but he's a professional youtuber, so his primary goal is to make content that people will click. It doesn't really matter if the content he makes is relevant or not, only as long as people consume it. However regarding your second point:
Our crave for high dopamine and resting is way stronger than us, we can't control it. We are passive actors that have no agency on our lives and even our own bodies and souls.
Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but tons of people have lost weight and tons of people ended up feeling better. I myself have often fought with this, lost some weight, exercised and I absolutely did feel somewhat better. Wasn't able to stick to it as it couldn't fill the void in my soul but still, even if I am likely to kill myself, I want to be able to say in the end that I at least tried. Of course it is harder for some people than to others, but I don't think it's ever impossible really.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Lost in a Dream, Hvergelmir and 1 other person
Q

qw3rty259

Experienced
Jun 19, 2023
He just repeats the same futile bullshit everyone says. "You want to eat less? Then don't buy fat products at the grocery store" Wow! What a discovery! What would I have done without you, Dr. K. In the end, it's not helpful at all.
Lol, what breakthrough are you waiting for in this type of question? It's really simple as that.
Our crave for high dopamine and resting is way stronger than us, we can't control it. We are passive actors that have no agency on our lives and even our own bodies and souls. We're stuck our bodily prisons constrained by instincts, biological drives and brain function We have zero mental, intellectual and physical resources to tackle these problems.
Nah, you chose to think so to justify your laziness

Reactions: Aimiya and orias.rlz
paredler

paredler

Student
Jul 31, 2022
That's basically Youtube in a nutshell. I don't follow Dr K anymore, but he's a professional youtuber, so his primary goal is to make content that people will click. It doesn't really matter if the content he makes is relevant or not, only as long as people consume it. However regarding your second point:

Maybe I misunderstood what you meant, but tons of people have lost weight and tons of people ended up feeling better. I myself have often fought with this, lost some weight, exercised and I absolutely did feel somewhat better. Wasn't able to stick to it as it couldn't fill the void in my soul but still, even if I am likely to kill myself, I want to be able to say in the end that I at least tried. Of course it is harder for some people than to others, but I don't think it's ever impossible really.
Losing weight does make you feel better, Many heath prolems, like back pain, acid reflux and sleep apnea can be cured by weightloss, and you feel better mentally and socially, but how do you make the first step and how do you not break? The chase of dopamine is extremely challenging and I always succomb to dopamine. A year ago, I lost 16 pounds but I felt really bad because I starved myself and suffered from psychosis. Now, I've gained all the weight and even more, but I'm more relaxed. I stress eat a lot, but it's way better than it was when I was on a diet.

Sticking to it for the rest of your life when you can't fill the void in your soul adds more suffering to people who alreaady suffer much more than they deserve.

Last edited:
Downdraft

Downdraft

I've felt better ngl
Feb 6, 2024
Our crave for high dopamine and resting is way stronger than us, we can't control it. We are passive actors that have no agency on our lives and even our own bodies and souls. We're stuck our bodily prisons constrained by instincts, biological drives and brain function We have zero mental, intellectual and physical resources to tackle these problems.
You are a bit off mate. Maybe his advice isn't the best, but that doesn't make all of it incurable.

Reactions: Aimiya
paredler

paredler

Student
Jul 31, 2022
You are a bit off mate. Maybe his advice isn't the best, but that doesn't make all of it incurable.
It's theoretically curable, but in practice, most people are fat or obese.
Lol, what breakthrough are you waiting for in this type of question? It's really simple as that.

Nah, you chose to think so to justify your laziness
What do you do when you feel a void in your soul you can't fill and the only coping mechanism you got is emotional eating and resting?

Last edited:
H

HeadTikker

Oct 20, 2024
He is just another grifter in the sense that he really has no profound insights to contribute. He just repackages things he was taught in college because I'm pretty sure there is no legal risk when you are able to cite "authoritative" medical textbooks. I can't think of a single clip of his where he specifically lays out something he has learned from his work that wasn't already written down before he started.

But to your point about Laziness and Addiction- we all have choices to make and even if in the end it all seems predetermined, that isn't a valid reason to "choose" to be weak. I would say one of the few values of things like suffering is that it can enhance introspection and reflection, but even then you have to be strong to not just end up with spiraling thoughts. Dopamine is a chemical that can be altered with certain choices and the use of different substances- it is not as hopeless as you make it sound.

Reactions: Lightkeeper, orias.rlz and Innereye
Innereye

Innereye

Know thy self
Jan 18, 2020
Guys insanely delusional and grandiose. literally believes that perception creates reality through "manifestation"

However, often contradicts himself also. Just another grifter.
He is just another grifter in the sense that he really has no profound insights to contribute. He just repackages things he was taught in college because I'm pretty sure there is no legal risk when you are able to cite "authoritative" medical textbooks. I can't think of a single clip of his where he specifically lays out something he has learned from his work that wasn't already written down before he started.

But to your point about Laziness and Addiction- we all have choices to make and even if in the end it all seems predetermined, that isn't a valid reason to "choose" to be weak. I would say one of the few values of things like suffering is that it can enhance introspection and reflection, but even then you have to be strong to not just end up with spiraling thoughts. Dopamine is a chemical that can be altered with certain choices and the use of different substances- it is not as hopeless as you make it sound.
Yeah, describing learned helplessness. Hellish condition.

paredler

paredler

Student
Jul 31, 2022

No one chooses to be weak or strong. They are weakend or strengthened by external forces.

H

HeadTikker

Oct 20, 2024
No one chooses to be weak or strong. They are weakend or strengthened by external forces.
This just becomes a circular argument. Free will might be an illusion but still we must act as though it isn't or else this just becomes a source of nihilism. There is pleasure in overcoming the difficult thing, but it takes varying degrees of strength to even try. Better off worshipping strength then giving in to nihilism.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I completely agree. Once in a while he makes a good point but his videos always just boil down to "you need to believe in yourself" and he also is the type who'd never see suicide as an acceptable option.

paredler

paredler

Student
Jul 31, 2022
This just becomes a circular argument. Free will might be an illusion but still we must act as though it isn't or else this just becomes a source of nihilism. There is pleasure in overcoming the difficult thing, but it takes varying degrees of strength to even try. Better off worshipping strength then giving in to nihilism.
What's wrong with nihilism?
I think nihilism is better because it makes us focus on things that are more achievable instead of continuing wasting our energy on things that don't succeed. Some of us don't even have the resources to try in the first place. Nihilism helps you recalculate yourself and the society around you.

Edit: You can't get to the scenario where everyone gets what they want, simply because different people have conflicting goals, for one to achieve something means someone else doesn't achieve it or loses it.

Last edited:
Q

qw3rty259

Experienced
Jun 19, 2023
most people are fat or obese.
Well... It depends what country you live in
What do you do when you feel a void in your soul you can't fill and the only coping mechanism you got is emotional eating and resting?
The answer: consume less calories than you burn. And that's a matter of fact that you can stop eating too much and do at least some exercises, (if you still can get through the door hole) but you choose not to. Sport is a coping mechanism available to most of people. I understand your situation, but it's better to be honest with yourself. If you think that you're hopeless and a slave of your body why do you even search for those answers and recommendations if you'll deem them as BS anyway. Weird

Last edited:
paredler

paredler

Student
Jul 31, 2022
If you think that you're hopeless and is a slave of your body why do you even search for those answers and recommendations if you'll deem them as BS anyway. Weird
Because I'm looking for like minded people to have an echo chamber where we can explore our situation and our ideology and try to understand the arguments and counter arguments and shape our thinking.

Q

qw3rty259

Experienced
Jun 19, 2023
Because I'm looking for like minded people to have an echo chamber where we can explore our situation and our ideology and try to understand the arguments and counter arguments and shape our thinking.
Wtf lmao you are a passive actor that have no agency on you life and even your own body and soul, have zero mental, intellectual and physical resources to tackle these problems

You contradict yourself

paredler

paredler

Student
Jul 31, 2022
Wtf lmao you are a passive actor that have no agency on you life and even your own body and soul, have zero mental, intellectual and physical resources to tackle these problems

You contradict yourself
Interesting point, but you could have said it with a lot less toxic.

penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me 💙
Nov 1, 2023
Our crave for high dopamine and resting is way stronger than us, we can't control it. We are passive actors that have no agency on our lives and even our own bodies and souls. We're stuck our bodily prisons constrained by instincts, biological drives and brain function.
No that's just YOU lol, this is evidently not true by the millions of people that keep jobs, go to the gym, eat healthy, and all those things that are good for your body.

It IS harder if you have a mental pathway that makes you tend towards addiction, but it's not innate.

The biological drives and instincts point sounds like messaging from an incel psuedo-psychologist. Humans are a high order species that are capable of more complex thought and organization than the average animal. We cannot be reduced to our biological urges.
Where are you supposed to get counterarguments in an echo chamber?
You can't get to the scenario where everyone gets what they want, simply because different people have conflicting goals, for one to achieve something means someone else doesn't achieve it or loses it.
This is only true in hierarchical societies, which are relatively new in history. Hierarchy is not innate, it's a byproduct of modern economy. What is it that you want? Is it material? Is it status? If what you want is status and material then yes, you will have to adhere to hierarchy. But it seems like a pretty sad way to live life, I think greater fulfillment comes from more psychological things.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aimiya, nattys5thtoenail, vile samsara and 1 other person
WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
I am distrustful of YouTubers, they're all money-first but unlike other celebrities there is a parasocial element to their content.

Q

qw3rty259

Experienced
Jun 19, 2023
You called me weird and LOL'd on everything I had said.
Well, you're weird to me tbh, and I pointed out in that message why... It's not like I said it out of nowhere. And I think "weird" isn't that offensive. But if it's so, k i'm toxic i take it
You called me weird and LOL'd on everything I had said.
I have more believe in you than you yourself and you're calling me toxic smh

Last edited:
MelancholyMagic

MelancholyMagic

For my next trick, I will disappear
Dec 12, 2021
I agree he is annoying, but he is a nice example of the uselessness of "mental health professionals". He serves as a reminder to avoid shrinks like the plague. They are both ineffectual and dangerous.

Downdraft

Downdraft

I've felt better ngl
Feb 6, 2024
What's wrong with nihilism?
Lack of purpose is linked to depression. Nihilism isn't very healthy.

I get you feel very low and tbh if life wants to wreck you it totally can, but there are things one can do to palliate our suffering. We don't need to make our life worse.

nattys5thtoenail

nattys5thtoenail

goofball
Oct 6, 2024
Me personally I actually like his videos, his video on discipline gave me a whole new perspective than the other videos I've seen on it. However it's def not a one size fits all approach and I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience with him :(

That being said, it's all about what works best for you

Reactions: FujoshiNeet and Aimiya
bluefeather177

bluefeather177

drowsy in a dark room
Mar 2, 2023
Me personally I actually like his videos, his video on discipline gave me a whole new perspective than the other videos I've seen on it. However it's def not a one size fits all approach and I'm sorry you didn't have a good experience with him :(

That being said, it's all about what works best for you
Same here. I'm surprised to see people say that his videos regurgitate the stuff he learned in college because I've never seen another mental health professional discussing video game addiction or meditation the way he does. I don't take his word as gospel because he's a proponent of some wack shit like ayurveda, but in lieu of access to mental healthcare he has helped me through a lot of my issues and understand myself a lot better than any therapists or psychiatrists have in the past.

Reactions: Aimiya, nattys5thtoenail and vile samsara
cait_sith

cait_sith

Brain rotted, often missing word
Apr 8, 2024
I don't follow him or know much of his content but I actually have a somewhat positive memory of him when people on social media got angry with him saying that suicide often isn't necessarily linked with depression. While he might be pro-life and YouTube-Mainstream-friendly he at least made a statement that set him apart a bit

Edit: found the clip:

Last edited:
Reactions: jar-baby, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Aimiya and 2 others
soledad.virgen

soledad.virgen

call me sol
Dec 1, 2020
lot of weirdly reactionary, misanthropic, and ignorant posts in here lol. in regards to cravings and losing weight specifically, it's not a moral failing to have a hard time with it. there are numerous systemic factors playing into it, especially in the us. countless lower income people live in food deserts where they only have access to cheep foodstuffs that are engineered to be addictive, car culture is pervasive so it's frankly unsafe for many to even exercise in their area, stress factors in life can lead to people eating out of comfort, etc. obesity is a systemic issue, and it's rightly seen as such with medical professionals. it can't be broken by just 'not being lazy' or having the 'willpower.'

• Love
Reactions: paredler and Adûnâi