Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I don't follow him or know much of his content but I actually have a somewhat positive memory of him when people on social media got angry with him saying that suicide often isn't necessarily linked with depression. While he might be pro-life and YouTube-Mainstream-friendly he at least made a statement that set him apart a bit

Edit: found the clip:

This is one of the rare W's he has but it's not really enough.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha
WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
This is one of the rare W's he has but it's not really enough.
There's a video someone linked on the forum awhile ago about how he handled the situation with this WoW Twitch streamer named Reckful. I don't agree with the video entirely but it colors my judgment on him completely, I don't think he will ever take any victories after that.

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
There's a video someone linked on the forum awhile ago about how he handled the situation with this WoW Twitch streamer named Reckful. I don't agree with the video entirely but it colors my judgment on him completely, I don't think he will ever take any victories after that.
I saw that too. I didn't watch the whole video but from what I gather that streamer killed himself. I don't blame that guy. Watching Dr. K makes me want to kill myself more sometimes too.

• Yay!
Reactions: WhatPowerIs
mrpeter

mrpeter

Experienced
Jun 11, 2024
losing weight is easy if you can tolerate feeling horrible
No that's just YOU lol, this is evidently not true by the millions of people that keep jobs, go to the gym, eat healthy, and all those things that are good for your body.

It IS harder if you have a mental pathway that makes you tend towards addiction, but it's not innate.

The biological drives and instincts point sounds like messaging from an incel psuedo-psychologist. Humans are a high order species that are capable of more complex thought and organization than the average animal. We cannot be reduced to our biological urges.

Where are you supposed to get counterarguments in an echo chamber?

This is only true in hierarchical societies, which are relatively new in history. Hierarchy is not innate, it's a byproduct of modern economy. What is it that you want? Is it material? Is it status? If what you want is status and material then yes, you will have to adhere to hierarchy. But it seems like a pretty sad way to live life, I think greater fulfillment comes from more psychological things.
discipline is hard when you're depressed because you need something to make you feel better

Last edited:
paredler

paredler

Student
Jul 31, 2022
lot of weirdly reactionary, misanthropic, and ignorant posts in here lol. in regards to cravings and losing weight specifically, it's not a moral failing to have a hard time with it. there are numerous systemic factors playing into it, especially in the us. countless lower income people live in food deserts where they only have access to cheep foodstuffs that are engineered to be addictive, car culture is pervasive so it's frankly unsafe for many to even exercise in their area, stress factors in life can lead to people eating out of comfort, etc. obesity is a systemic issue, and it's rightly seen as such with medical professionals. it can't be broken by just 'not being lazy' or having the 'willpower.'
I find it insane that your comment is the only one that gets me.
I also find the problem rooted in our biology. We have a nervous system that sends our brain pain signals when we work out, and our brain releases high amounts of dopamine when we eat fat food. What makes a person motivated to inflict pain to himself and starve himself? There's only sso much that a person can endure. At some point, it becomes unsustainable. I guess we can't really point our finger on why some people are able to become bodybuilders and everyone else can't, the causes may exist but are invisible to us and are beyond are capability to grasp.

Aimiya

Aimiya

Autism
Nov 24, 2023
I find it insane that your comment is the only one that gets
Going "yup, he gets me" for the first and only comment that fully agrees with you is strange, he didn't even talk about the "topic" that is hating Dr K.
So everyone that disagrees just "doesn't get you"?

paredler

paredler

Student
Jul 31, 2022
So everyone that disagrees just "doesn't get you"?
Yes, becase everyone here is a judgmental asshole. People judge me becauseof my weight and my struggle to lose it and call me lazy, no one understands my struggle or what makes it so hard.

Last edited:
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
I don't follow him or know much of his content but I actually have a somewhat positive memory of him when people on social media got angry with him saying that suicide often isn't necessarily linked with depression. While he might be pro-life and YouTube-Mainstream-friendly he at least made a statement that set him apart a bit

Edit: found the clip:

This video made me respect him a bit more as well, even though I don't vibe with a lot of his other content (particularly those pushing meditation and alternative medicine ideas) I can admire his stance towards separating suicidal ideation from a solely depressive state, as few prominent figures are willing to acknowledge such an idea.

I also think it was pretty unfair to him that he was immediately blamed for the death of his guest that conversed with on livestream, although he handled it poorly, when the man had clearly been suicidal for a long time. The general public saw having an open conversation about his issues (albeit potentially profiting off of it by televising it to the world) as "offering unlisenced therapy" which begs the question, is giving advice/support to a friend about mental health issues something that is going to become inherently monetised and strictly regulated to "professionals"? It feels like we're living in such a grim reality.

Other than that, I don't really like his content that much either. Obesity and addiction are very complex issues, that often aren't as simple as making lifestyle changes especially if there's some underlying issues. A lot of people who are on psychiatric medications will go through metabolic changes as a result of that. Our eating habits are fundamentally governed by a complex interplay of hormones and sensory cues, and one's environment as well as medications or lack thereof can impact that, as well as overall metabolism. I can bet a great deal of Dr. K's audience are probably taking such medications and might not have been fully informed of the potential side effects.

I think most people like to believe in the idea of having full control over your health and your life, and watching content like this can be motivational and reinforce the idea that if you are in the right mindset you can achieve many things of your own free will without assistance. See the disgust that many have towards others taking appetite suppressants like ozempic, as they see it as cheating and not "doing the work" of going to the gym etc. When ozempic can be a truly life changing medication for weight loss, and get certain people back to a healthy weight quickly. Yet, taking a drug is seen as taking the easy way out/pathetic, even if it could drastically improve someone's life.

The type of content Dr. K produces can certainly resonate with a lot of people, especially those who are geared towards self-improvement messages, but if you're the sort of person who has been let down by such content before and lifestyle changes alone haven't helped us, we don't really connect with it as much.

I also have a friend who highly praises Dr. K and gets angry and defensive with me when I say meditation makes me feel worse instead of relaxed, and acts like my own feelings regarding such methods are invalid, "because Dr K knows better than you" so I can understand your frustration with youtube gurus quite well.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc and Sunü (素女)