Reddit is the worst.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo and Painless_end
Painless_end

Painless_end

Life is too difficult for me
Oct 11, 2019
Reddit is so degenerate and weird.
It's an absolute circlejerk.

There's no real value beyond learning maybe some obscure stuff and some anecdotes by some person that could be interesting at times.

Other than that, it's a completely pathetic place populated by narcissistic morons or pseudo intellectuals who think that having thousands of upvotes on their comments makes them unique and special.

CTB Dream

CTB Dream

Injury damage disabl hard talk no argu make fun et
Sep 17, 2022
Human all toxic say all web online ofline, reddit same terrible very danger many attack make fun ,reddit only read now never post interact real terrible human toxic unsafe place full fight bulky misunderstanding

Painless_end

Painless_end

Oct 11, 2019
I deleted Reddit like I said I would.

Populated by outdated misogynistic viewpoints and depression laden angsty idiots who have no common sense.

IntoTheLight

IntoTheLight

Oct 11, 2022
Highly depends on the subreddit. Small subreddits can be great. Big subreddits do tend to go to shit though.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees and jandek
E

earshurt

Oct 11, 2022
The biggest subs (think AskReddit) are all full of inane discussion and fake/exaggerated anecdotes. Sophisticated bots are partially responsible for how copypaste every discussion feels (you can read about it a little here.)

However the smaller subs can have some decent discussions and are a decent place to ask around for obscure information. I've found valuable information about my rare medical condition on Reddit, that I couldn't have found anywhere else.

Reactions: jandek and lofticries
Painless_end

Painless_end

Oct 11, 2019
I think my overall mistake was going there hoping for some different viewpoints that were meaningful.

I got nothing useful in over one month of daily usage.

I made some joke comments which were well received. I accumulated around 1800 karma but that was a meaningless social media clout carrot dangling in front of me.

It was like "Hey, check this out, more karma means you get a higher number displayed on your profile, ohhhh shiny badge"

The other side was, "Don't you dare make comments that might be sensible but not appealing to the majority or we will downvote you and you will lose precious karma"

The whole thing is just silos and echo chambers.

I have nothing to gain from Reddit that I cannot gain from Google. Even if I google something tomorrow and that information is available through Reddit, I can just view it in my browser without having to install or use the Reddit app.

Reactions: earshurt
WhatPowerIs

WhatPowerIs

Paragon
Jun 19, 2022
I think my overall mistake was going there hoping for some different viewpoints that were meaningful.

I got nothing useful in over one month of daily usage.

I made some joke comments which were well received. I accumulated around 1800 karma but that was a meaningless social media clout carrot dangling in front of me.

It was like "Hey, check this out, more karma means you get a higher number displayed on your profile, ohhhh shiny badge"

The other side was, "Don't you dare make comments that might be sensible but not appealing to the majority or we will downvote you and you will lose precious karma"

The whole thing is just silos and echo chambers.

I have nothing to gain from Reddit that I cannot gain from Google. Even if I google something tomorrow and that information is available through Reddit, I can just view it in my browser without having to install or use the Reddit app.
What kind of subreddits were you posting in?

Painless_end

Painless_end

Oct 11, 2019
What kind of subreddits were you posting in?
What does it matter

I know there are lots of good comments too but overall the site didn't work for me and that's fine.

Reactions: GrumpyFrog
ColorlessTrees

ColorlessTrees

Stuck
Jan 4, 2022
All your points are correct; reddit is trash. Theoretically a decent concept, a central platform for branching off to whatever niche you're into, but it's infested with the most insufferable people on the planet. I use it for fandom stuff and as a time killer, but only the quieter ones because once it hits a certain number the quality declines drastically.

Reactions: earshurt and Painless_end
nootthenoot

nootthenoot

Your local cat lover
Oct 11, 2022
Honestly yeah, outside of the more accepting subreddits and the subreddits I'm in for my intrests, it's a hell pit. But may I put a social media site worst than reddit out there: Quora. Fucking shithole of a place.

J

Journeytoletgo

Broken and hated 7-14 years long overdue
May 14, 2018
It's very toxic along with quora I'm deleting it as none of it is good for my mental health

NoLightRemains

NoLightRemains

I found my light again. Namu Amida Butsu
Sep 26, 2021
I admit Reddit has a lot of downsides and 100% devolves into echo chambers, but I do like some smaller subreddits that are relevant to my interests. Main reddit subs are such a hive mind.