• Uncertain

Votes: 27 30.3%

• Total voters
BlackDragonof1989

BlackDragonof1989

Mage
Jul 12, 2018
M

Midwestern American religion is the weirdest flavor of Christianity. They seem very caught up in their fire and brimstone and miserable interpretations. IF there is a god I would bet everything I have and am he is nothing like those weirdos think.

Thank you for your reassurance, I too feel the same way. I sort of think people find the type of religion of philosophy that fits them, and no one is really changed by Christ as many around her claim something to the effect of, "We don't change the message, the message changes us." A lot of of times people are looking for community before their theology even, I am sure, but it bothers me deeply when any religious person is just fine with the never ending torment of the so-called wicked in Hell. How could I love a creator like that, no matter the religion?

At worst I could just accept a temporary and rehabilitative Hell or whatever place of punishment there may be, but not to punish just to punish, it doesn't make any sense to me to do this forever and ever. Some have also emphasized how Christ and some angels will be there in Hell watching the suffering souls, I mean for fucks sake lol. Christ did a lot of kind healing things it seemed, but other times he could be very cold and sociopathic it would seem as per the Bible (depart from me ye wicked into the fire that is prepared for the Devil and his angels sort of vibe). Unless we evolve more, perhaps we'll never see an agreement on any of this. The Islamic Hell sounds even worse lol.

Reactions: Tiburcio
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I just can't picture any afterlife lol! Especially how it's often depicted. Rainbows and unicorns forever :)

Reactions: Tiburcio and BlackDragonof1989
I

itsallover

Arcanist
Jun 29, 2018
Read the criticism section here : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/21_grams_experiment#Criticism

The 21g experiment was sketchy and has been blown up into a pop culture thing. I am all for the hope we are more than a bag of meat, but stuff like this just makes people with hope look silly.
Thank you for showing me this. That's was honestly the closest thing I could imagine as proof of an afterlife. Everything else I've heard is even sketchier than that. My religion is the oldest Christian one that exists and everything service is full of chanting and smoke to accompany all the gold plated icons and murals. Sometimes they dim the lights and it feels like straight up devil worship. I respect it because that's what I was born into and my family respects it, but I can't fully buy into it.

Reactions: BlackDragonof1989

6477244ts5

Student
Jun 13, 2018
Thank you for showing me this. That's was honestly the closest thing I could imagine as proof of an afterlife. Everything else I've heard is even sketchier than that. My religion is the oldest Christian one that exists and everything service is full of chanting and smoke to accompany all the gold plated icons and murals. Sometimes they dim the lights and it feels like straight up devil worship. I respect it because that's what I was born into and my family respects it, but I can't fully buy into it.

I didn't link that to discredit the idea of a god or afterlife. I don't think anyone can really answer that one. I just didn't want you hanging your decision on a bunk study.

Reactions: tearsinrain and BlackDragonof1989

6477244ts5

Student
Jun 13, 2018
Also remember religion is man made...for man by man. It is irrelevant to whether or not a god or afterlife exists because those can exist without them being anything at all like people have decided they are. I don't think anyone with any sense believes the Bible was dictated by God for example. It's obviously a book of stories that suit the times they were written in. People so often seem hung up on proving "religion" wrong without recognizing the above difference.

Reactions: tearsinrain, BlackDragonof1989 and Comatose11

Aug 6, 2018
I want eternal nothingness. My worst nightmare would be reincarnation. I don't want another life. I don't want to last for an eternity because that sounds like hell. I just want it to be like I never existed. I've experienced nothingness before during unconsciousness and I desire for it to be like that permanently.
This is EXACTLY how I feel. I want to erase my entire existence. I don't want my death to affect anyone in any way.

Reactions: Gevatsu, skitliv, Jane8334 and 3 others
A

Asthenia

Aug 6, 2018
Nobody can truly understand what non-existence is.

Non-existence is what we used to be in the year 1000 a.D., for example.
Aka, nothing. No perception, no thoughts. It's not a difficult concept to grasp

Reactions: Tiburcio, Mecha Man, bag.of.cats and 4 others
M

Mecha Man

Experienced
Jul 16, 2018
If you read the afterlife thread you will realize that the existence of an afterlife makes no sense in the same way something popping into existence from nothing or something always existing makes no sense. Yet we can conclude that something did in fact either pop into existence from nothing or has always existed.

The existence of an afterlife wouldn't make sense to us and all evidence points toward the contrary which doesn't help. That doesn't mean there isn't one.

Wow... I literally said the same exact thing (in different words) in another thread.

Edit: Oh wait... maybe it was me you were referring to LOL.

I have an irrational fear of not existing, so I kind of have to believe in an afterlife to maintain my sanity. Edit 2: You know... The more I keep saying that, the less strange and wrong it sounds to me...

Last edited:
Reactions: BlackDragonof1989
M

Mecha Man

Experienced
Jul 16, 2018
Yes. I'd go into more detail but I know from experience that the internet is too full of dogmatists on this topic for any productive discussion to take place.

This is kind of how I feel about the whole world

Reactions: Mari, BlackDragonof1989 and WanderingEremite
M

Mecha Man

Experienced
Jul 16, 2018

In my opinion, of all the concepts one could possibly think of, non existence is just about the ONLY thing that makes sense in this mad world

Edit: Although, understanding the perspective of a being that doesn't exist (I know that makes no sense) is a bit different. Trying to think about what it's like to go from your current state to not existing.... That, to me, is scary because it's an unknowable experience. We can't experience not existing. As I've said before, it's an irrational fear...

Last edited:
Reactions: skitliv, BlackDragonof1989, lv-gras and 1 other person
Jerryman

Jerryman

Jul 19, 2018
In my opinion, of all the concepts one could possibly think of, non existence is just about the ONLY thing that makes sense in this mad world

Edit: Although, understanding the perspective of a being that doesn't exist (I know that makes no sense) is a bit different. Trying to think about what it's like to go from your current state to not existing.... That, to me, is scary because it's an unknowable experience. We can't experience not existing. As I've said before, it's an irrational fear...

Experience itself is gone therefore you experience nothing and there is no you to experience anything. This is welcomed by many on here since experience equals suffering to those.

Reactions: Deleted_9cKnXB34QG, Comatose11 and lv-gras
M

Mecha Man

Experienced
Jul 16, 2018
Experience itself is gone therefore you experience nothing and there is no you to experience anything. This is welcomed by many on here since experience equals suffering to those.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense. I always emphasize that my fear is irrational, because logically there's nothing to fear from experiencing nothing at all, but, well.... the fear is still there *shrugs*. Ironically, in the past I've wanted to ctb just so my fear of death would go away.

Reactions: lv-gras
okaoki

okaoki

last
Aug 4, 2018
I my self don't believe in god and after life,but i believe in ghost , i do hope there is afterlife
where im born into a happy person.

Xmac000

Xmac000

Somewhere...
May 23, 2018
Wow... I literally said the same exact thing (in different words) in another thread.

Edit: Oh wait... maybe it was me you were referring to LOL.

I have an irrational fear of not existing, so I kind of have to believe in an afterlife to maintain my sanity. Edit 2: You know... The more I keep saying that, the less strange and wrong it sounds to me...
I was referencing you yes.

Reactions: lv-gras and Mecha Man
Richard

Richard

Dragon Wolf (Prisoner of Slave Planet Earth)
Aug 8, 2018
I want eternal nothingness. My worst nightmare would be reincarnation. I don't want another life. I don't want to last for an eternity because that sounds like hell. I just want it to be like I never existed. I've experienced nothingness before during unconsciousness and I desire for it to be like that permanently.

Yeah, I agree... I'm hoping it will be like that for me, once I do the deed... :( In case there is an after life, I would say it's more like the Buddhist after life... Check out the "Tibetan Book of the Dead', just in case the after life is real and you do reincarnate... Better to prepare, then to go un-prepared... Your transition to rebirth may take longer... Life to me is like an acid trip, I would guess the after life is a bad one, but as with all bad trips... They eventually come to an end.

6477244ts5

Student
Jun 13, 2018

You don't know what that was like if anything. Not remembering or having perspective is not the same thing as "knowing". Everything humans are is existence...even sleep/surgery etc we only know as missing time since we wake and remember that space. That isn't the same thing and the "it's not difficult to grasp" is arrogant and insulting. It's the most difficult thing there IS for a human to grasp and your simplification of it is not at all an explanation.

D

Deleted member 847

I think consciousness is fundamental because without it the universe can't exist. The universe can't exist without it because logically speaking the universe can only exist if its existence is perceived by a mind. If it's not perceived it has no form, is just an ocean of infinite possibilities that can't emerge because there's nothing through which they can emerge and be measured. So when we die I think we either get absorbed by the "super mind" that renders the universe and we lose our egos, or we continue to exist as spirits.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idealism

Reactions: Comatose11

6477244ts5

Student
Jun 13, 2018
I think consciousness is fundamental because without it the universe can't exist. The universe can't exist without it because logically speaking the universe can only exist if its existence is perceived by a mind. If it's not perceived it has no form, is just an ocean of infinite possibilities that can't emerge because there's nothing through which they can emerge and be measured. So when we die I think we either get absorbed by the "super mind" that renders the universe and we lose our egos, or we continue to exist as spirits.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idealism

As possible as any theory. My mind is open (no pun) to all the possibilities even if I don't find them likely. I get aggravated by people who declare they KNOW the answer to this when it's not possible. I do hope it's something more than just energy transfer or oblivion. I would like the opportunity to understand why this life was so full of suffering and have the chance to experience some peaceful awareness, exploration, pleasure, education etc. I always thought it would be cool to wake up in some far future where this was just a super intense VR game to inhabit the life of a real or imagined historical human...and then go to lunch and talk to friends about how "lifelike" it was.

Reactions: tearsinrain and Comatose11
Xmac000

Xmac000

Somewhere...
May 23, 2018
I always thought it would be cool to wake up in some far future where this was just a super intense VR game to inhabit the life of a real or imagined historical human...and then go to lunch and talk to friends about how "lifelike" it was.

Doubt it. We wouldn't have this many people volunteering to play it.

Reactions: Comatose11

6477244ts5

Student
Jun 13, 2018
Doubt it. We wouldn't have this many people volunteering to play it.

Maybe everyone else here is an NPC. Maybe future me is a masochist. People today pay to go do difficult and sometimes painful things just for the experience and authenticity. I don't see it as far fetched.

D

Deleted member 847

As possible as any theory. My mind is open (no pun) to all the possibilities even if I don't find them likely. I get aggravated by people who declare they KNOW the answer to this when it's not possible. I do hope it's something more than just energy transfer or oblivion. I would like the opportunity to understand why this life was so full of suffering and have the chance to experience some peaceful awareness, exploration, pleasure, education etc. I always thought it would be cool to wake up in some far future where this was just a super intense VR game to inhabit the life of a real or imagined historical human...and then go to lunch and talk to friends about how "lifelike" it was.
I'm not claiming to know anything, this is just my speculation. If I had to make an educated guess, both materialism and idealism could be wrong just for the simple fact that they're conceived by limited human brains. It's just my opinion, biased like everyone's else opinion.

6477244ts5

Student
Jun 13, 2018
I'm not claiming to know anything, this is just my speculation. If I had to make an educated guess, both materialism and idealism could be wrong just for the simple fact that they're conceived by limited human brains. It's just my opinion, biased like everyone's else opinion.
Wasn't accusing you of claiming to know. I was referring to others who make sweeping declarations on both ends of the "god-science" debate.

Reactions: tearsinrain
Xmac000

Xmac000

Somewhere...
May 23, 2018
Maybe everyone else here is an NPC. Maybe future me is a masochist. People today pay to go do difficult and sometimes painful things just for the experience and authenticity. I don't see it as far fetched.
I don't care how much of a masochist you are. Nobody wants to get eaten alive by a lion, burned alive by an angry mob, suffer painfully for years of cancer, etc. I just can't see 7 billion people signing up for an experience like this one.

NPC's? Maybe but when people die this place continues to operate. Unless the world is persistent and continues when you check out i cant see that being the case. I'm personally a huge matrix fan but unfortunately after this experience i couldn't see myself or many others for that matter touching anything VR related ever again (If we really are in the matrix). The game would have died thousands of years ago rather than growing in numbers.

Which is another issue. Assuming we are in a video game, why are the number of players increasing rather than decreasing over time? Every online game that i have played has decreased in numbers over time rather than increase. Anyway..

The main argument from non-believers of the simulation theory is that it would take a massive amount of computing power to simulate the entire universe. Making it nearly impossible. Which is true. I came up with the idea that only a partition of the universe would be needed to simulate this experience but was met with the universe is expanding. Which it is. Therefore i am inclined to believe that the simulation theory is unlikely.

Reactions: Richard
A

Asthenia

Aug 6, 2018
You don't know what that was like if anything

Sorry, but there's no way I could remember the voyage of the Nina, Pinta and Santa Maria or the launch of the first Commodore computer

Reactions: Fylobatica

6477244ts5

Student
Jun 13, 2018
Snarky quips don't change the fact that the whole "its like it was before I was born" is nothing but an oft repeated 14yo level "deep" thought, and it's full of holes for anyone who thinks beyond the surface of it.

A

Asthenia

Aug 6, 2018
Snarky quips don't change the fact that the whole "its like it was before I was born" is nothing but an oft repeated 14yo level "deep" thought, and it's full of holes for anyone who thinks beyond the surface of it.

14yo are people who indulge in relentless wishful thinking just because they cannot cope with the harshness of life and start making up every kind of narrative to comfort themselves.

let's pick up the "slippery slope" road and tomorrow we won't be even human beings. We'll be dodecahedrons because it suits better the imagination of most people.

Reactions: skitliv and Fylobatica

Aug 6, 2018
I share the opinion that the answer is unknowable. Religious people even call what they feel "faith," as in there is no way to know, and ones opinion must be based on faith, not evidence or knowledge. You don't need faith to think that the sun exists, it's observably true.

It's not that I don't agree that there's an afterlife, I just don't KNOW, and I don't have faith in it. I HOPE there isn't tbh, dying wouldn't solve anything for me if there is.

D

Deleted member 847

14yo are people who indulge in relentless wishful thinking just because they cannot cope with the harshness of life and start making up every kind of narrative to comfort themselves.

let's pick up the "slippery slope" road and tomorrow we won't be even human beings. We'll be dodecahedrons because it suits better the imagination of most people.
The thing is, there are many children who remember past lives and the information is later verified. I'm not saying this is evidence for reincarnation, because their brains could be accessing the "super mind internet/universal consciousness".

A

Asthenia

Aug 6, 2018
The thing is, there are many children who remember past lives and the information is later verified. I'm not saying this is evidence for reincarnation, because their brains could be accessing the "super mind internet/universal consciousness".

Verified like what, lol. Ask them to remember word by word long-ass poems from their previous lives. Nobody would be able to be up to such a task

if "reincarnation" was remotely true we'd all be super knowledgeable beings by now, having gone through at least thousands of rebirth cycles (remember that the first hominids appeared about 20 million years ago) and piled up an astounding knowledge of the outside world

Nevertheless, the majority of us are dumber than ever. We even need to figure out how a lighter works. I'd also suggest to study how memories in the human brain are formed, and most importantly how human reproduction happens

Reactions: Fylobatica
PatKat

PatKat

Meh
Aug 9, 2018
I firmly disbelieve in any kind of afterlife and I'm very glad of it.

Could you imagine repeating a life like this forever where even the suicide could save you?
That sounds like the worst possible thing to happen... It better not...

Reactions: Comatose11, lv-gras and Tiburcio