• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
First of all many people with depression don't recognize they are depressive. Depression is a dangerous and treacherous condition. It can make you feel like the situation was hopeless despite the fact it isn't. The best thing is probably to talk with a professional. If you cannot pay for it I think there are self-tests on the internet (however there is no guaranty for their validity). For me personally literature about mental illness helped me to recognize whether I am deceived or not. Though if you have the possibilty to talk to a professional this would be the way better option.
But it would be good if you had a support team in real life. As I mentioned in my thread how to get the best help in real life it can be really helpful having someone in real life who supports you.
On the internet we often cannot really judge whether your perception is deluded. Or at least it is way more difficult because we are no professionals and only know information about you that you are giving to use. This is why it is difficult to say whether the situation is really that hopeless as many describe it.

For me personally I was deluded by depression in the past. And we should not underestimate how insidious depression/mental illness can be. It sounds like I was a fool to be tricked by mental state. Also my psychosis deceived me. Recognizing whether a psychosis/paranoia deceives you is even more difficult than a depressed mental state. I think it is no shame being tricked by a mental illness. I expressly want to emphasize I don't think everyone in this forum was deluded. In this forum there are many members who suffer for decades and tried a lot of different therapies.
However if someone never has met a professional or has not much experience with mental illness being deluded by it is a real danger.

There is the problem of intersubjectivity. Everything we experience is shaped by our current mental state and mind. This is why a bias can happen. People with depression often tend to too pessimistic views on themselves or the future. This is why a exchange with people you know in real life is important. They can give you a feedback how they are perceiving you. I personally hate myself quite often. I am really obsessed what other people think of me. When something slightly embarrasing happens I am really triggered. My friends can calm me down in such situation. But also people on SS helped me to cope with such situations.

Here is a good link which describes depression symptoms and helps to detect whether you are depressive.

Here is a good quote of the article: "Recognizing the symptoms is key. Unfortunately, about half the people who have depression never get it diagnosed or treated." As I said this phenomenon is quite common.

Another remark from me. There are various treatments for mental illnesses/depression. There are different types of psychotherapy and a lot of medication which can help. There are even therapies like ECT (Electroconvulsive therapy), TMS (Transcranial magnetic stimulation) and others if the medication does not not work. Many people who hit rock bottom believe that this condition will last forever. This is often not true. For me personally when I hit rock bottom for the first time I thought this would last forever. Today I am still suicidal but it is better than the mental state in which I was when I had my darkest hours.

It probably needs a lot of energy trying therapy. It often takes time before it gets better but trying it can be worth of doing so. Antidepressants often don't work immediately. For me it took like 3-4 weeks before they helped. (For me antidepressants did not have huge benefit. Only a mood stabilizer helped which I found 5 years after my first diagnosis.) It is very indiviual how someone reacts to different kinds of therapy. I hope people don't lose their hope too early.

I think if you never tried therapy you don't know whether it helps or not. A therapist of mine said to me noone can predict the future and that this is in some sense comforting. For me it is also a little bit frightening because I need control of my life and I worry a lot about the future. I am ambivalent on that. I also can acknowldege it is in some sense comforting. What are your thoughts about it?

And how can we help people to recognize whether they are depressed? Have you ever been deluded by your mental state in the past?

Last edited:
I

InezSerrano

Experienced
Dec 3, 2021
Your post is very complicated and I'm tired so this might not have anything to do with your post, but for me I just talk to people I know and trust to get outside perspectives. If your friends, family, therapist, whatever, say something is true, there's a good chance it's true, but it also could not be true, you really can't know anything for sure, but in the end you have to pick some reality to live in or it all spirals into nothing/chaos/nonsense.

callme

callme

I'm a loose cannon - I bang all the time.
Aug 15, 2021
Nice summary. I am at my wit's end, flipping out by delusions. Maybe even driven by them.

Not getting therapy isn't a phenomenon, sorry, it's called generational poverty and minimum wage until death.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
That's so trhe, been seeing the best shrink I ever had. After 2 years he doesn't tell me what's wrong with me, I have to guess!!!!

WhiteDespair

WhiteDespair

The Temporary Problem is Life
Oct 24, 2019
this was me with adhd. reading those adhd alien comics about rejection sensitive dysphoria produced an "oh so that's what it is" moment and a whole bunch of stuff clicked. I was depressed because I didn't understand adhd symptoms and how they manifested in my life. with that new understanding, I was able to recontextualize my life. a lot of what I thought was wrong with me stemmed from a lack of understanding and acceptance of adhd.

recontextualizing helps so much. when you can think back on an event and say "yes that is a perfect example of <whatever>", it relieves so much pain. it stops being "what the fuck is wrong with me?" and becomes "oh, that's an example of <whatever>."

I

InezSerrano

Experienced
Dec 3, 2021
That's so trhe, been seeing the best shrink I ever had. After 2 years he doesn't tell me what's wrong with me, I have to guess!!!!
I found a great guy, but he wouldn't tell me what was wrong. Sorry, but what's the point? I mean I get there are reasons not to say, but I'm just spending so much time thinking about, why can't he say? Even worse, what he he hasn't figured me out? ... IDK, life is complicated.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I found a great guy, but he wouldn't tell me what was wrong. Sorry, but what's the point? I mean I get there are reasons not to say, but I'm just spending so much time thinking about, why can't he say? Even worse, what he he hasn't figured me out? ... IDK, life is complicated.
I am going to ask him on my next visit, if he wants me to keep on taking his pills, he will have to say what's wrong with me, cause honestly, I feel like I'm getting better, I could have cut back some of the meds already.

callme

callme

I'm a loose cannon - I bang all the time.
Aug 15, 2021
I am going to ask him on my next visit, if he wants me to keep on taking his pills, he will have to say what's wrong with me, cause honestly, I feel like I'm getting better, I could have cut back some of the meds already.

Can I ask how are you doing these days?

I hope your doctor actively listens to you and hopefully allows you take less. Is it the number of meds or the quantity of a specific one you want to reduce? Either way, hope you do well without them for the longest possible time.

Reactions: whatevs