FreddieQuell

FreddieQuell

:):
Apr 14, 2020
I'm sorry I just don't understand. This question resurfaces every so often but I truly have no idea of what importance the answer is.

Suicide is a real thing. Every year, more than 40.000 Americans take their own life. Some of them will have visited this website, most will have not.

Whatever he number of members (or lurkers) catching the bus happens to be, 10, a 100 or a 1000, it doesn't make the struggle of the people on here any less real.

Reactions: red_pen, Pryras, color_me_gone and 3 others
EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Part Time NEET - Full Time Suicidal
Mar 29, 2020
How are you feeling??

I'm okay for now, my brains protecting me from the enormity of it all. This morning I was feeling guilty about the notes I'm sending out to my therapists but frankly I shouldn't be considering they'd throw me into a prison where I'd be tortured in a moments notice.

Leaving my dog behind is what's bothering me the most, it's extremely upsetting every time I think about it :(

Thank you for asking.

B

Brokenwithbpd

Mage
Jun 15, 2020
I'm okay for now, my brains protecting me from the enormity of it all. This morning I was feeling guilty about the notes I'm sending out to my therapists but frankly I shouldn't be considering they'd throw me into a prison where I'd be tortured in a moments notice.

Leaving my dog behind is what's bothering me the most, it's extremely upsetting every time I think about it :(

Thank you for asking.
I'm still here for my mom and 2 dogs. I know the feeling. :(

• Hugs
Reactions: EmbraceOfTheVoid
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Tons of people have. Some were proven. I think many of the goodbyes are legit mostly. Some might back out but the intent and planning seemed real. I don't think I'll say anything when I finally ctb. I'll just be not present anymore for an extended period.

Last edited:
Reactions: the_final_countdown, Deleted member 4993 and color_me_gone
TowerUpright

TowerUpright

Disillusioned
May 26, 2019
I'd like to believe that most of them are genuine. But maybe I'm just naively trusting because I've also worried that people think I'm a troll, and I don't wish anyone else to be in the same position. Also I figure it's not worth it to bring more negativity into my life by trying to catch people lying.

I'm of the trusting type as well. I'd prefer to believe that people are not liars unless they show otherwise. I know of at least one person who changes slight details about them in conversation so it is harder to find them IRL.

It might mean I'm gullable, but, oh well.

• Wow
Reactions: Lorntroubles
Lastsauce

Lastsauce

Experienced
Dec 22, 2019
Whatever he number of members (or lurkers) catching the bus happens to be, 10, a 100 or a 1000, it doesn't make the struggle of the people on here any less real.
Hear hear!

Reactions: color_me_gone and Helpneedtips
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
What exactly do they have to gain from that though? Like they get a few people wishing them the best... That's it. No monetary gain. Nor is their really any trolling satisfaction.

Just because one doesn't know why a person does something negative doesn't mean it can't therefore be negative or that there is no reason. Some manipulators specifically target certain vulnerabilities to serve their own advantage, such as overintellectualizing, naïvete, willingness to override/explain away red flags, and being super ethical. They're not going to suddenly admit, like the villain in the climactic scene of a movie, the motivations for and structure of their plan.

I don't judge what someone does based on the logic of it or whether or not I can explain it; if I experience a red flag, or if their consistent behavior indicates fishiness, then that's all the information I need to make a judgment for myself about whether the person has ill intentions toward my well-being and best interests. I know from a lifetime of experience that if I don't make this judgment based solely on the evidence (behaviors, red flags, physical responses that tell me a boundary is being tested or violated such as a gut response, hairs raised, etc.), then I am set up to be harmed in some way -- taken advantage of, played, victimized, etc.

Yes trolls exist everywhere but let's not suggest a goodbye thread is a troll attempt just because it doesn't seem "right" ...not sure what a genuine thread is supposed to look like? But anyways, let's give people the benefit of the doubt and take everything at face value. I'd rather believe a possible liar than ignore or question someone who is suffering.

You know I like you, @Pryras! So please don't take this as hurtful, I'm just being my sensible, boundaried self, okay?

I need to step out of this "let's." Whatever you would rather believe and do is up to you, though as someone who has demonstrated I care about you, I'd caution you to reconsider. For me personally, I'm going to maintain healthy skepticism. I'm going to protect myself. I'm going to pay attention to behaviors. I've learned to hold back so that I'm not accused of attacking (and because I am also fallible and may on occasion misinterpret), but I'm not going to own others' burdens of suffering, either, whether real or fake. I don't exist to soothe them or ease their burdens, that only comes from the heart when I feel motivated and safe to do so. I will ignore if that's the best option, especially if I sense they're trying to take something I'm not offering, or if I just don't have the inner resources to give that day. If I ignore them, it seems there are always plenty of others who are willing to give attention, so me not showing up isn't going to make a difference unless we've developed some level of closeness/mutual like/reciprocity, etc., whether through a lot of positive interactions on the forum or PMs.

Sometimes goodbye threads just don't feel right, and then people get shamed for not believing, for being self-protective, etc. A goodbye thread that doesn't feel right has LOLs, inconsistent behaviors that don't match with the method or the event, or those little red flag moments that set off something in the gut that says, "That feels yucky/wrong/off/bad/misaligned/etc." It's that unexpected little sting from something that appears cuddly. It's that grab for something that's not on offer, even if it's not definable at the moment what is being grabbed for -- and I think the latter belongs as well in my response to @WhatIsMyLife.

I just can't say enough how many times people get screwed because they don't listen to their guts, or override red flags, or let themselves get talked out of knowing what they know.

This is why I stand firm and don't cave under the pressure of guilt trips ("own my/someone else's feelings and burdens"), shaming ("you didn't act good/nice/kind/accepting/docile enough," "who do you think you are?"), or bandwagons ("let's all act/not act this way," "we're all here for the same reasons," "we should all stand together and not be divided"). It may feel good to cave at the moment, and I may get more acceptance and approval (remember FAST self-respect skills?), but it's not worth the ass-kicking I'll give myself later when I realize I've been played and I say to myself, "I knew it! Why didn't I listen??" I'd rather be wrong about someone and gladly fess up, but I gotta tell you, their responses to being questioned or doubted reveal so much (the list on the OP of manipulation tactics thread is one of the best and most accurate tools I have in my life).

• Hugs
Reactions: Pryras
Pryras

Pryras

Last hope
Feb 11, 2020
Just because one doesn't know why a person does something negative doesn't mean it can't therefore be negative or that there is no reason. Some manipulators specifically target certain vulnerabilities to serve their own advantage, such as overintellectualizing, naïvete, willingness to override/explain away red flags, and being super ethical. They're not going to suddenly admit, like the villain in the climactic scene of a movie, the motivations for and structure of their plan.

I don't judge what someone does based on the logic of it or whether or not I can explain it; if I experience a red flag, or if their consistent behavior indicates fishiness, then that's all the information I need to make a judgment for myself about whether the person has ill intentions toward my well-being and best interests. I know from a lifetime of experience that if I don't make this judgment based solely on the evidence (behaviors, red flags, physical responses that tell me a boundary is being tested or violated such as a gut response, hairs raised, etc.), then I am set up to be harmed in some way -- taken advantage of, played, victimized, etc.

You know I like you, @Pryras! So please don't take this as hurtful, I'm just being my sensible, boundaried self, okay?

I need to step out of this "let's." Whatever you would rather believe and do is up to you, though as someone who has demonstrated I care about you, I'd caution you to reconsider. For me personally, I'm going to maintain healthy skepticism. I'm going to protect myself. I'm going to pay attention to behaviors. I've learned to hold back so that I'm not accused of attacking (and because I am also fallible and may on occasion misinterpret), but I'm not going to own others' burdens of suffering, either, whether real or fake. I don't exist to soothe them or ease their burdens, that only comes from the heart when I feel motivated and safe to do so. I will ignore if that's the best option, especially if I sense they're trying to take something I'm not offering, or if I just don't have the inner resources to give that day. If I ignore them, it seems there are always plenty of others who are willing to give attention, so me not showing up isn't going to make a difference unless we've developed some level of closeness/mutual like/reciprocity, etc., whether through a lot of positive interactions on the forum or PMs.

Sometimes goodbye threads just don't feel right, and then people get shamed for not believing, for being self-protective, etc. A goodbye thread that doesn't feel right has LOLs, inconsistent behaviors that don't match with the method or the event, or those little red flag moments that set off something in the gut that says, "That feels yucky/wrong/off/bad/misaligned/etc." It's that unexpected little sting from something that appears cuddly. It's that grab for something that's not on offer, even if it's not definable at the moment what is being grabbed for -- and I think the latter belongs as well in my response to @WhatIsMyLife.

I just can't say enough how many times people get screwed because they don't listen to their guts, or override red flags, or let themselves get talked out of knowing what they know.

This is why I stand firm and don't cave under the pressure of guilt trips ("own my/someone else's feelings and burdens"), shaming ("you didn't act good/nice/kind/accepting/docile enough," "who do you think you are?"), or bandwagons ("let's all act/not act this way," "we're all here for the same reasons," "we should all stand together and not be divided"). It may feel good to cave at the moment, and I may get more acceptance and approval (remember FAST self-respect skills?), but it's not worth the ass-kicking I'll give myself later when I realize I've been played and I say to myself, "I knew it! Why didn't I listen??" I'd rather be wrong about someone and gladly fess up, but I gotta tell you, their responses to being questioned or doubted reveal so much (the list on the OP of manipulation tactics thread is one of the best and most accurate tools I have in my life).

I think my use of "ignore" was the wrong choice. I would actually suggest ignoring a thread if there's doubt, but otherwise taking a goodbye as serious. Although admittedly, trusting others hasn't really benefited me in the past. If anything, it has hurt me over the years. Goodbye threads just feel different to me than regular threads.

Questions like these remind me of when we hear "They don't really want to kill themselves" or "He would've already died if he was serious" or even feeling cowardly for not going through with it. I've been there recently and it sucked.

Off tangent but I was in a bad situation a few weeks ago. I walked out to a trail at midnight after an intense fight with my ex bf. I always carried my SN in my bag but forgot to bring water. I rolled it and downed it straight. I was surprised and shocked at how easy it was to keep down? It was salty but not unbearable. I felt no stomach pain so I clearly didn't take enough. It was impulsive and I called the ambulance a few seconds later. I didn't pass out unfortunately and i was degraded by police and medical staff. That was a very desperate and impulsive act of self harm and curiosity

Someone might see that as attention seeking or that I wasn't serious but I agree It's not my place to always trust others. That it's healthy to carry doubt in order to protect our own selves. I think it's hardwired into me after years of living with blurry boundaries.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bct, ARW3N and FreddieQuell
ARW3N

ARW3N

Melancholia
Dec 25, 2019
I don't really pay any attention to the goodbye threads unless the people claiming to exit the world receive media attention afterwards. That's the only certain way I have of knowing they've literally left the world behind. It's important to remember that people who choose to kill themselves can change their minds or fail in their attempts.

Incorrigible77777

Incorrigible77777

I was born human and I'm sorry for that. ——太宰 治
Jul 9, 2020
I know one. Nice sweet @Blu_1 . At first I left message on IG to ask her some questions about SS before I really join the forum. But then I saw from the comments under her latest IG post that she had already gone in May. So sad to see she going because she was really nice and kind, writing positive words to encourage people around. I wish you'll become a beautiful angel in the sky. Take care...;-;

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: Brink and Saed