• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think this is quite a personal question. The answer to the question depends highly on the individual.
I think I have different approaches how to find a way to go on living.

I think about the problems I am scared the most of and how I could solve them. Or at least postpone them or make them less likely. Every step even a tiny one in the right direction can have positive impact on one's mind. When trying to find solutions I try to be rational and strategical. Small steps over a certain period of time can accumulate and might make the negative impact less hurtful.

Trying not to be too harsh on oneself. I struggle with that. But I try to accept help and support when I need it. The boyfriend of my mom insulted me some months ago that my mom helped me so much and I was unthankful. I have blocked him since. I just think what an asshole his opinion does not matter. I need help in order to try to avoid the worst case. These people don't understand what I am going through on a daily basis.

There are material, social and philosphical approaches that I try to take in order to improve. The first one is to avoid poverty and find a way to get a stable income. This is for me the hardest. I try to live with my mind in the present time. I am not good at that. I ruminate a lot about the past and future and I get really anxious because of that. But there has to be a balance between working to solve problems and relaxing in order to give your mind a break. I struggle with that. And personally in order to relax I do the following. To write in this forum, to read books (less stimulating than other activites), listening to calm music. I cannot promise this helps you it is probably very individual and depends on the person.

A social life can help. My social skills got worse and worse as long as I was isolated. And this was the case for a long time. I trained them with my therapist and this helped. One of the best things that happened in my life was I have found very good friends. I am not sure how to find good friends. I try to search for people who are trustworthy. They must not be considered cool, stylish, good-looking etc. The question how they treat other humans is important for me.

Philosophical and metaphyscial considerations can comfort me. I am no expert and other people have more knowledge but some values can comfort me. Things I want to live for. Trying to find things which can give life meaning. Higher values one wants to achieve. Things for which one is ready to suffer for. Honestly this sounds way easier than it is. And when I had extreme psychosomatic pain I felt like nothing was worth that. Maybe the search for such values can be done when one is more stable. I value education, friendship, knowledge, justice and finding a right balance in life. Finding a healthy way to live with my demons.

I like to read about people who had similar problems like me. Literature can comfort me. It makes me feel like I am not the only one who goes through hell. I like listening to biographies of people who also were in a predicament. I try to learn from their experiences and find my own personal approach. How to live despite the fact one is a broken individual. I am often more concerned to extend my knowledge but I think having something that can comfort one's soul is important too. Not only cognitive stimulation can have an healing effect. Also things that can give positive feelings.

Personally I rely a lot on my medication. My current life quality was not possible without them. I struggled to accept them but I don't regret having changed my mind on them. I had several therapists. Some were neither empathetic nor helpful. I had to search a long time for good professionals. And I am glad I did not give up searching for people who care. Admitteldly they are far away from being perfect but way better than past ones.

Not sure whether this post is really helpful. I don't have as much good ideas for recovery threads as for the off-topic forum. I hope I don't sound redundant. I am not sure whether all the things which I mentioned are self-evident or not.

A stable life is built on several different bricks. So that it does not get shacky when one problem emerges. Many bricks shall give protection of getting unstable. In my native language these terms are used. Not sure how common this is on English.

What is your personal approach to find meaning in suffering? Or at least to cope with the pain that comes along with the fact of being a sentient being?

Last edited:
Reactions: katagiri83
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I think this is quite a personal question. The answer to the question depends highly on the individual.
I think I have different approaches how to find a way to go on living.

I think about the problems I am scared the most of and how I could solve them. Or at least postpone them or make them less likely. Every step even a tiny one in the right direction can have positive impact on one's mind. When trying to find solutions I try to be rational and strategical. Small steps over a certain period of time can accumulate and might make the negative impact less hurtful.

Trying not to be too harsh on oneself. I struggle with that. But I try to accept help and support when I need it. The boyfriend of my mom insulted me some months ago that my mom helped me so much and I was unthankful. I have blocked him since. I just think what an asshole his opinion does not matter. I need help in order to try to avoid the worst case. These people don't understand what I am going through on a daily basis.

There are material, social and philosphical approaches that I try to take in order to improve. The first one is to avoid poverty and find a way to get a stable income. This is for me the hardest. I try to live with my mind in the present time. I am not good at that. I ruminate a lot about the past and future and I get really anxious because of that. But there has to be a balance between working to solve problems and relaxing in order to give your mind a break. I struggle with that. And personally in order to relax I do the following. To write in this forum, to read books (less stimulating than other activites), listening to calm music. I cannot promise this helps you it is probably very individual and depends on the person.

A social life can help. My social skills got worse and worse as long as I was isolated. And this was the case for a long time. I trained them with my therapist and this helped. One of the best things that happened in my life was I have found very good friends. I am not sure how to find good friends. I try to search for people who are trustworthy. They must not be considered cool, stylish, good-looking etc. The question how they treat other humans is important for me.

Philosophical and metaphyscial considerations can comfort me. I am no expert and other people have more knowledge but some values can comfort me. Things I want to live for. Trying to find things which can give life meaning. Higher values one wants to achieve. Things for which one is ready to suffer for. Honestly this sounds way easier than it is. And when I had extreme psychosomatic pain I felt like nothing was worth that. Maybe the search for such values can be done when one is more stable. I value education, friendship, knowledge, justice and finding a right balance in life. Finding a healthy way to live with my demons.

I like to read about people who had similar problems like me. Literature can comfort me. It makes me feel like I am not the only one who goes through hell. I like listening to biographies of people who also were in a predicament. I try to learn from their experiences and find my own personal approach. How to live despite the fact one is a broken individual. I am often more concerned to extend my knowledge but I think having something that can comfort one's soul is important too. Not only cognitive stimulation can have an healing effect. Also things that can give positive feelings.

Personally I rely a lot on my medication. My current life quality was not possible without them. I struggled to accept them but I don't regret having changed my mind on them. I had several therapists. Some were neither empathetic nor helpful. I had to search a long time for good professionals. And I am glad I did not give up searching for people who care. Admitteldly they are far away from being perfect but way better than past ones.

Not sure whether this post is really helpful. I don't have as much good ideas for recovery threads as for the off-topic forum. I hope I don't sound redundant. I am not sure whether all the things which I mentioned are self-evident or not.

What is your personal approach to find meaning in suffering? Or at least to cope with the pain that comes along with the fact of being a sentient being?

If you find the answer, I hope that you will receive the Nobel Peace Prize :wink:

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I don't have a reason for living, and I'm not sure I ever will. My family provides a reason for me to remain, but I wouldn't say my life has an overarching purpose.

When I was younger, I really needed my life to mean something and was devastated when I failed to reach my goals, but now I don't care nearly as much. It doesn't matter to me that I am just one face among a sea of many or that I am not reaching my potential. My priorities have morphed into making life as simple, pain-free, and easy as possible. Some might call me a coward or lazy for giving up on my "dreams", and I wouldn't necessarily refute them, but it's enough for me at the moment.

Whenever I do get something I want now, I try not to hold onto it too tightly. Everything fades. Nothing lasts forever. It's especially hard to keep this in mind with people. I was surprised to find out that I am a romantic. When I fell for someone who truly did not deserve my loyalty, my heart was broken like all the sad songs and cliches when they abandoned me abruptly. Not putting much stock in people is a cowardly way to live, I will admit, but it's so much safer. I try to enjoy the times I have with people, but I don't expect much anymore.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: whatevs