WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

Hold your head high, and your middle finger higher
Dec 25, 2020
Yesterday I had a consultation with the nephrologist and they found yet increased protein levels in my urine. On top of that, I had been running a low-grade fever over the past week and was constantly breathless. Despite my protests, he insisted I be warded for further tests and observations, such as a kidney biopsy scheduled next week. This means I'll be spending the Chinese New Year holiday in hospital. To add insult to injury, following the surge in Omicron cases and subsequent tightening of Covid restrictions, my family can't come to visit so I'll be alone until I'm ready to be discharged.

Needless to say, they ramped up my prednisolone dosage. Earlier, I had been instructed to do so by my rheumatologist, but being cautious of a one-shot increase, I opted to slowly step-up the dose instead. Even a relatively low dose of 10mg/day was enough to cause abdominal pain which rendered me unable to sleep, so I was forced to cut back to an even lower dose. The only redeeming part is that here, gastric tablets are provided and I can opt for prednisolone to be administered intravenously. In preparation for the biopsy, they also pumped me full of antibiotics, but thankfully unlike my previous (somewhat traumatic) experience with Levaquin, I have not experienced any adverse side effects apart from fatigue and lethargy. Last but not least, the food and snacks are rather decent, so can't complain too much I guess.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Wrennie, narval, littlelungs and 16 others
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope your condition gets better soon and you are able to get out.

It must be awful staying there alone. I hope you can still find something to do. Video calls, for example, or watching videos/photos, or reading online books/comics. Audio books can also help with loneliness/boredom. Also, if you can, remember to walk around the room and stretch a bit, even for ten seconds.

I hope you will feel better soon!

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Life sucks, WrongPlaceWrongTime and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I'm sorry you have to go through this. I can imagine it must be very awful having to deal with that condition. I find it horrible that conditions like that even exist. I wish you the best.

• Hugs
Reactions: Life sucks, WrongPlaceWrongTime and WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

Dec 25, 2020
Thank you for your kind words, @Manaaja. The free WiFi has made my stay so much so much more bearable. I thought of, but decided against asking my family to bring me my ASUS gaming laptop. (It weighs three kilos and is cumbersome to use :ahhha:)

I'm definitely planning to take a walk downstairs. Apart from the breathlessness, fatigue and lethargy and needless to say, lab test results, I don't feel discomfort or pain, even before being admitted, and it's honestly a miracle that my joints are working fine. Just from appearance alone nobody would be able to tell that I'm sick. It's a pity my mom took my wallet for reasons of safety so I can't purchase anything downstairs—I'm so craving for hot meals and confectionery right now...-_-

I wholeheartedly agree, @LeavingForever. Those who say that the human body is an amazing machine often neglect the 1,001 things that can, and will, go wrong with it. The only redeeming part of lupus is that, like many autoimmune conditions, it tends to ebb and flow with periods of flares and remissions.

Before I was diagnosed I never imagined that one day I would be sick—I regret previously squandering my health and taking it for granted.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Life sucks, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Manaaja and 1 other person
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
Sorry to hear you're stuck spending your holidays in a gross, sterile environment with no decent meals, and have been stripped of any source of celebration, like friends, family, and other various sources of comfort. Hopefully you can be free soon, and enjoy great in the absence of the prison slop- do you like char sui, mapo tofu, dim sum, ube cakes, etc. Sending you lotsa love!

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, WrongPlaceWrongTime and Life sucks
WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

Dec 25, 2020
@KuriGohan&Kamehameha Thank you, that's very kind of you. Yeah, it's a shame that the abrupt policy changes (suspension of inpatient visitations came into effect just this week) had caused such an inconvenience. And yes, even though I can't say it's bad, the food served to us (patients) is starting to taste kind of bland 😓 The Dr(s) warned me that as they're going to put me on at least one more immunosuppressant, I should stay away from this and that. But I say screw that. After my discharge I'm going to eat to my heart's content, risks be damned.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Dead Meat, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and LastLoveLetter
WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

WhatDoesTheFoxSay?

Dec 25, 2020
UPDATE: I got discharged last Tuesday. Not long after however, the nephrologist informed me that from the results of the biopsy that my kidneys were severely inflamed, and required immediate follow-up treatment (two doses of methylprednisolone infusion) to suppress the immune response. Since then I have been recuperating at home, and have been getting better.

Once again, I would like to show my gratitude to fellow members who have supported me during this difficult time. Thank you for being here for me, and for letting me know I'm not alone.

• Hugs
Reactions: Pluto, motel rooms, Manaaja and 6 others
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Rest well. Of course you're not alone; see for yourself! :smiling:
Crocodile family to eat lake murky waters crocodile family to eat 139533202

• Love
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?