HermitLonerGuy

HermitLonerGuy

Warlock
Sep 28, 2022
as you know im a loner hermit type, i been learning Javascript and doing well in it for a few weeks now.
Now after reading, testing, watching and telling chatgpt to teach me some code i can confidentially say it can write code faster and more efficiently than me and that i see it replacing junior developers and also lowering the market demand. So 2 or 3 senior devs can just use this AI instead of getting 10 junior devs to do these tasks.

i decided its not worth learning programming anymore, it would take me about a year or more to get a proficient level and by then i see this AI becoming even more advanced ( with every millions of users prompts its learning and improving itself live).

What other jobs could i do from home?

ty.

• Informative
  • Wow
Reactions: lionetta12, Disappointered, whatevs and 5 others
Venus13

Venus13

Experienced
Oct 2, 2022
I think you should hold on to this if possible. I'm not a programmer, but I know how defeating pursuing a career can be when you're struggling.

My siblings and I all have agoraphobic tendencies. My brother can barely speak, he has mutism and possibly autism. He's barely functional in social settings, but he has been working from home for years in programming after receiving an associate's degree and is actually very rich now.

These fields will always need humans. Don't think humans will be wiped out of the equation. I think if it's possible instead of studying independently a structured and connecting course, certificate, or degree would really help.

Reactions: Sister of the Moon, demuic, Un- and 1 other person
HermitLonerGuy

HermitLonerGuy

Warlock
Sep 28, 2022
I think you should hold on to this if possible. I'm not a programmer, but I know how defeating pursuing a career can be when you're struggling.

My siblings and I all have agoraphobic tendencies. My brother can barely speak, he has mutism and possibly autism. He's barely functional in social settings, but he has been working from home for years in programming after receiving an associates and is actually very rich now.

These fields will always need humans. Don't think humans will be wiped out of the equation. I think if it's possible instead of studying independently a structured and connecting course, certificate, or degree would really help.
i really hope youre right.
and im inspired hearing about your brother, please tell me more about him if you dont mind, wow hes great.

• Love
Reactions: Venus13
Venus13

Venus13

Experienced
Oct 2, 2022
i really hope youre right.
and im inspired hearing about your brother, please tell me more about him if you dont mind, wow hes great.
Our childhood home life was an abusive hellhole and my brother was also bullied badly in school. He has all the traits of a socially awkward nerd. He can't make eye contact and has a lot of trouble speaking. He found his voice over the years though. It's always scary and uncomfortable to put yourself out there but growth happens in time.

I remember he used to say he could never work a normal job. He's clumsy and has 0 social skills. He was very scared to go to college. He went to community college. He did study hard, he really dove into programming. I think it was an escape for him too on top of a career prospect. I'm very proud of him. He lived at home with my mom until his 30s locked in his room, but now he owns his own home, has been traveling a lot lately and is actually very wealthy having worked in the field for years.

• Love
Reactions: Sister of the Moon, demuic, Cathy Ames and 1 other person
HermitLonerGuy

HermitLonerGuy

Warlock
Sep 28, 2022
Our childhood home life was an abusive hellhole and my brother was also bullied badly in school. He has all the traits of a socially awkward nerd. He can't make eye contact and has a lot of trouble speaking. He found his voice over the years though. It's always scary and uncomfortable to put yourself out there but growth happens in time.

I remember he used to say he could never work a normal job. He's clumsy and has 0 social skills. He was very scared to go to college. He went to community college. He did study hard, he really dove into programming. I think it was an escape for him too on top of a career prospect. I'm very proud of him. He lived at home with my mom until his 30s locked in his room, but now he owns his own home, has been traveling a lot lately and is actually very wealthy having worked in the field for years.
Thats so awesome, what an inspiration!
lets hope advancements in AI dont ruin our job field.

Reactions: Sister of the Moon, Regen and Venus13
MentalStefan

MentalStefan

Loser
Jul 3, 2022
There still are many fields in programming/IT that will not be automated for a very long time. AI may be good for simpler tasks but the more complex project is, the worse is AI at doing it. There are some areas where AI overtakes humans but don't discourage yourself, programming is a very cool and rewarding activity! It is proved that learning how to program can even increase your IQ! Javascript is a very useful scripting language generally in IT and I think you should hold on to this.

Reactions: whatevs, demuic, Cathy Ames and 2 others
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
Depending on how old you are it will still be useful. At the least there is support work because lots of defects are out there that need fixes. Depending on the field you can't just leave stuff to automation and walk away. We have lots of prep before any change goes in and there's always people on watching it go in then monitor it for issues. Personally I don't like programming and the whole thing seems pretty pointless to me but I know enough to do what I do but I won't spend any free time on it. But it is a field that allows remote work and you can make some decent money doing it, and if you like it you can really get paid.

Reactions: HermitLonerGuy
HermitLonerGuy

HermitLonerGuy

Warlock
Sep 28, 2022
Depending on how old you are it will still be useful. At the least there is support work because lots of defects are out there that need fixes. Depending on the field you can't just leave stuff to automation and walk away. We have lots of prep before any change goes in and there's always people on watching it go in then monitor it for issues. Personally I don't like programming and the whole thing seems pretty pointless to me but I know enough to do what I do but I won't spend any free time on it. But it is a field that allows remote work and you can make some decent money doing it, and if you like it you can really get paid.
you do customer support?

Un-

Un-

I'm a failure. An absolute waste. A LOSEr.
Apr 6, 2021
Check out this video. He explains it better than I could:

Reactions: Cathy Ames and Venus13
Silent.Tears

Silent.Tears

Experienced
Nov 5, 2021
How long have you been learning programming? Any other languages you proficient in?

S

Sakura94

empty
Nov 26, 2020
I've been using ChatGPT the last few days and it makes me want to kill myself.

• Informative
  • Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Disappointered, Silent.Tears and Cathy Ames
Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
you do customer support?
2nd level, so after they call the bank, and customer support it's me and then developers if needed. We're basically uneducated developers (no degree) but are expected to learn and know their stuff. Makes for a stressful and annoying day. FYI we just had layoffs! Go Team!! So watch what industry you look at, if the money isn't coming in or a project doesn't pan out you're gone. Boring and steady sometimes beats hot and new, especially when new isn't as desirable as execs think.

Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
What? Did you watch the entire video?
The part that said "answers that are flat out wrong but look correct to people who lack domain experience" was reassuring. Then it became scary. Then it seemed like he was being facetious (the part with neurolink). I couldn't really tell what the final "conclusion" was supposed to be.

Un-

Un-

I'm a failure. An absolute waste. A LOSEr.
Apr 6, 2021
The part that said "answers that are flat out wrong but look correct to people who lack domain experience" was reassuring. Then it became scary. Then it seemed like he was being facetious (the part with neurolink). I couldn't really tell what the final "conclusion" was supposed to be.
AI coding won't replace programmers. He could've made that part clear.

Reactions: Cathy Ames
HermitLonerGuy

HermitLonerGuy

Warlock
Sep 28, 2022
2nd level, so after they call the bank, and customer support it's me and then developers if needed. We're basically uneducated developers (no degree) but are expected to learn and know their stuff. Makes for a stressful and annoying day. FYI we just had layoffs! Go Team!! So watch what industry you look at, if the money isn't coming in or a project doesn't pan out you're gone. Boring and steady sometimes beats hot and new, especially when new isn't as desirable as execs think.
do you think AI will take over tech/customer support roles?
also i want to do the google it support cert on coursera, is it good? thanks!

Grav

Grav

Wizard
Jul 26, 2020
Not sure on courses but in my opinion you should never stop learning whether it's for a job, just something of interest, or learning more about yourself; so go for it! You never know what comes in handy, the whole "bigger toolbox never hurts".

As for AI I say no. You have seen probably first hand how people don't like talking to a computer when they have a problem so to code it so it's not annoying is going to take more work than it's worth I think. It could be generational and young people like 'say yes, say no" kind of interactions but when someone has a problem they want to explain it to a person, whether for sympathy or to get the details right. Hell, even the "help" websites that give a choice of answers and your problem doesn't fit into them ends with "did you find this helpful?" which is nothing. Frustrated people talking to a machine doesn't work, even talking to a human who reads off a script isn't a fix and when people get frustrated they decide if using something is worth the hassle. Case in point Ticketmaster: can't access their app on wi-fi! So to see/get my tickets I have to disconnect from home wi-fi just to get on my carrier to do it. If TM wasn't the only game in town I'd be off it already. And the answer to my problem of not accessing tickets I already paid for was found on a Tool reddit, not the TM site. There will be some stuff automated like ordering or checking an order status, was a payment made but making a "human machine more human" just seems like as low return thing for a business that has to have customer service, and shitty customer service is more damaging than none at all. Nothing like talking to a machine when your mortgage payment wasn't sent and the bank called you.

Having grown up with consumer, and some business, tech from its infancy through today I'm glad I'm naturally expiring within the next 50 years. I get the feeling people are into AI just to do it regardless of cost. Not even talking Westworld but simple "what do you do with people who are now unemployed because of tech" problems. Just let them starve? Some kind of UBI that no politician in the US wants to even hear about? Wave a magic wand and they become trained in something they haven't got the education for or even interest in? Back when NAFTA was a good thing for all (yep Rep and Dem) all those factory workers who lost their job were going to magically change to IT, presto! Oh but those jobs never came to "nowhere USA" or to people who weren't interested in tech or had the educational base to do it (making some generalizations here). Then IT went overseas so all those "call center jobs" that they were going to get went "poof"! Now Amazon is looking to replace their workers as is McDonalds and others are going to follow suit because employees are your biggest expense. What do those workers see as a future when they can't even provide for their family let alone buy a Tesla b/c everyone should be super eco friendly, which does cost money to get started in. Now the powers that be say "oh they'll go to green jobs!" Yep without a science or bio background they'll just land some job. So to paraphrase Jurassic Park "everyone was in such a rush to see if we can, nobody asked if we should" and tons of sci-fi has looked at this same issue; but it appears question hasn't been heard of. Rant over.

Reactions: Disappointered
trayansh

trayansh

Dead Inside
Sep 17, 2022
You shouldn't stop learning, I use chat GPT to learn programing too, Yeah it's fast but we can use it to our advantage and save some time, there is probably like 10-20 years till AI takes over until then it's better to take good use of it.

HermitLonerGuy

HermitLonerGuy

Warlock
Sep 28, 2022
You shouldn't stop learning, I use chat GPT to learn programing too, Yeah it's fast but we can use it to our advantage and save some time, there is probably like 10-20 years till AI takes over until then it's better to take good use of it.
are you a programmer or currently learning?

nozomu

nozomu

Global Mod // will i wiN my recovery arc
Nov 28, 2022
as you know im a loner hermit type, i been learning Javascript and doing well in it for a few weeks now.
Now after reading, testing, watching and telling chatgpt to teach me some code i can confidentially say it can write code faster and more efficiently than me and that i see it replacing junior developers and also lowering the market demand. So 2 or 3 senior devs can just use this AI instead of getting 10 junior devs to do these tasks.

i decided its not worth learning programming anymore, it would take me about a year or more to get a proficient level and by then i see this AI becoming even more advanced ( with every millions of users prompts its learning and improving itself live).

What other jobs could i do from home?

ty.

Learn about AI and machine learning, there will be jobs in this