N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I have found this on quora for transparency reasons. I find some very interesting posts there. I won't link it.
But it was posted a guy called Alexander Brown with the question "What interesting facts about psychology do you not usually see commented by anyone?" I only mention the interesting ones and add my uneducated opinion on it.

1. Comedians have a higher rate of depression than commoners

2. Nightmares help prepare people to deal with difficult situations in real life

3. Shy people tend to have great observation skills

4. Lonely people end up sharing the most personal information on social media platforms

5. One person seems more beautiful when surrounded by a group of attractive friends

1. Maybe this is the impact of toxic positivitiy. I reminds me of Robin William's suicide. It must be very hard to keep on the act if you are in pain yourself. (I hope this is a saying). I could imagine one could die a thousand deaths if one has to smile everyday without being able to share your pain with anyone. And then your job is to make other people laugh. I could also imagine there is a parallel to therapists who are more likely to commit suicide. They want to help someone because they themselves know such a battle of demons. Though this is kind of a speculation.

2. Don't have anything to add. I recently had a lot of them and I rather try to forget them the topics they bring up scare me and make me anxious. But maybe this prepares me for the moment when I will receive the grades of my past exams.

3. I ask myself whether that applies to me. I am kind of shy. I try to be good in putting the essence of daily feelings and situations into words. So that other people can relate to it and might be comforted by not feeling so lonely anymore.

4. The most interesting fact for me. Recently I ask myself how lonely I am. I still have a strong desire for a partner and all my attempts that totally backfired make me very sad. I ask myself whether my online interactions are really a substitution for real interactions and to which extent. I think I might share so much of my thoughts in this forum because I am a deeply unhappy, sad and lonely person. Though when I have the choice between my family members and forum members online I choose the latter one most of the time. When other people write they like my posts or feel comforted that can give a positive boost for my mood.

5. This surprised me a little bit. I could have imagined one looks better if the people that surround you are rather average and you stick out.

• Hugs
  • Wow
Reactions: sserafim, ANONYMOUSM, katagiri83 and 3 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
The first one doesn't surprise me at all. Comedians are quite often great at observing life and they're often highly intelligent. I think intelligent people are especially prone to depression. I think humour can sometimes be a way to cope with it. Especially wry humour or gallows humour. Plus- as you said, I think they must get something out of being able to make other people happy. Even if they can't save themselves.

• Hugs
Reactions: noname223, ANONYMOUSM and LoiteringClouds
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
3 is spot on. I'm super shy and I've always felt like an observer looking in. I have good observational skills because I just observe/take in my surroundings, and don't talk or say anything.

• Hugs
Reactions: Rocinante and noname223