• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

abruptum

abruptum

Lost
Jan 10, 2021
So I just recently went back to therapy and because I was on the age range of 17-18 and psychiatrists couldnt give me a true diagnosis because of my age SSRIs were never talked about. But now that Im going back they are recommending that I look into and and rather than them prescribe them to me my therapist would rather have me find out and talk to him about what ones I see are going to benefit me the most. I have looked into it and i can understand alot of stuff about my own health and do alot of metacognitive thought but I have no clue wtf these SSRIs are gonna do.

Basically can some of you guys tell me ur expierneces and suggest some stuff for me.
I have npd and mdd just for some clearification if that matters.

Reactions: Lostandlooking
Trisolaris

Trisolaris

Arcanist
Dec 11, 2018
It's not an exact science. Some people get better on them, some stay the same, some get worse. Of course there's the question of side effects. Where I come from the usual first ssri they prescribe is escitalopram. From my own experience, I tolerated it better than other ssris.

EmbraceOfTheVoid

EmbraceOfTheVoid

Part Time NEET - Full Time Suicidal
Mar 29, 2020
Most of the ones I've taken have caused worse side affects than the "symptoms" they are trying to suppress. Unless you are bipolar or have psychosis I generally only see them as harmful. I'd compare them to giving a third degree burn victim some dirty bandaids as a solution.

Numbing my emotions or replacing them with fake ones doesn't address the root cause of my problems. Also, stay away from antipsychotics; they cause brain damage.

Always be skeptical of what your psychiatrist is giving you and research it first if you do go down that road; it's your health on the line.

@KuriGohan&Kamehameha gave a concise and well written explanation the other day:

Likewise, many psychiatrists and psychologists seem to neglect very important environmental and socioeconomic factors that would rationally make a person depressed, scared, miserable, and anxious. I find it akin to scolding a person who recoils when they touch a hot stove. Your brain's natural response is to send out signals of pain in response to the damaging stimuli that has just burned the skin, you can't really control that reaction.

When people who are poor, alone disabled, underemployed or unemployed, marginalized, being abused, neglected, and so on and so forth seek assistance from the mental health industry, a lot of them are told they are ill and are either medicated unnecessarily or forced into things like CBT which tells them their negative feelings are cognitive distortions. When feeling awful and depressed in those situations is a completely natural response. If your environment is godawful, it is hard to delude yourself and pretend everything is peachy instead.

So instead of giving those people tangible help that would improve the mental anguish caused by their circumstances, or simply trying to provide symptom relief for things like lethargy, panic attacks, and loss of appetite, we tell them they are diseased. There is a serious lack of pragmatic help in these fields. People who need human connections aren't given opportunities for developing social skills besides their artificial interactions with the therapist. The impoverished aren't being given financial assistance. The unemployed aren't being given references and assistance with gaining employment.

I do believe medications and therapies have their place in some situations. I lived with a violent schizophrenic, who absolutely needed to be on a low dosage of Antipsychotics or else everyone in the family would be continually tormented by them. People who are violent or having extreme hallucinations do need pharmaceuticals to manage their conditions in the majority of cases. Likewise, Lithium can be helpful to some bipolar people. Yet, I think SSRIs are handed out like candy, and rarely alleviate the problem because the efficacy seems to be marginally higher than a placebo. A good number of serotonin receptors are in the GI tract, so I got nothing out of those medications except further illness.

Also, psychiatry truly lacks reliable diagnostic tools and relies on very subjective criteria. There are no blood tests, no scans, no biopsies, and things like the DSMV are often far too broad and speculative. I was seeing many different psychiatrists from age 13 to 20 and it took 6 years for them to order a laboratory test for me.

Last edited:
reticen

reticen

Student
Nov 5, 2020
Sertraline and Lexapro are two entry level SSRIs that are often prescribed to young people. The scientific way to do this would be to start with those safer SSRIs and then try stronger stuff if they are proving ineffective. This process will take months/years but it is the only sensible way to go about trying drugs.

Reactions: abruptum
saltshaker

saltshaker

salt shaker, rule breaker
Jan 29, 2021
If they don't work you can just stop taking them, they're pretty safe.

abruptum

abruptum

Lost
Jan 10, 2021
It's not an exact science. Some people get better on them, some stay the same, some get worse. Of course there's the question of side effects. Where I come from the usual first ssri they prescribe is escitalopram. From my own experience, I tolerated it better than other ssris.
hmm just to ask what does that mean you "tolerated it better", im not asking out of disrepect just curious
Most of the ones I've taken have caused worse side affects than the "symptoms" they are trying to suppress. Unless you are bipolar or have psychosis I generally only see them as harmful. I'd compare them to giving a third degree burn victim some dirty bandaids as a solution.

Numbing my emotions or replacing them with fake ones doesn't address the root cause of my problems. Also, stay away from antipsychotics; they cause brain damage.

Always be skeptical of what your psychiatrist is giving you and research it first if you do go down that road; it's your health on the line.

@KuriGohan&Kamehameha gave a concise and well written explanation the other day:
Ive been having recent fits of psychosis due to extreme depressive episodes and thats the main reason im even looking into it because my reality gets really warped and also i dont know but id hope they would aid with sleep
Sertraline and Lexapro are two entry level SSRIs that are often prescribed to young people. The scientific way to do this would be to start with those safer SSRIs and then try stronger stuff if they are proving ineffective. This process will take months/years but it is the only sensible way to go about trying drugs.
if only it was easier :ahhha:

Last edited:
wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
I just started sertraline and it is helping. Less pain. feels weird tho... I feel more joy and peace but nothing around me is different and I still have memories of trauma but they hurt less. very strange. Worth trying if you want a happy life. Weird for me bc I still want to ctb and feeling happy seems like an odd state to do it in haha

J

JustLosingMyself

Mage
Sep 4, 2018
Lexapro and prozac did nothing for me other than gaining weight and turning me into an eunuch.
Paroxetine is the devil's excrement.
I was numb bar for extreme emotions. Getting off it was pure hell. I prefer getting the DTs every day

ihatemen420

ihatemen420

weed addict, antinatalist, loser
Jan 8, 2021
SSRIs might make you shart or throw up (especially, in my experience, Zoloft [sertraline]) because serotonin also plays a role in the digestive system. Just a word of warning!

jrums

jrums

Student
Apr 14, 2019
They've permanently caused me emotional numbness, PSSD, insomnia, physical changes, body numbness, loss of taste and smell, etc. It's the reason I will end my life. And they caused shitty sexual side and emotional side effects while on them too. People dismissing them as safe have no clue the hell they can cause. Plus while they have some benefit for severe OCD they have small benefit for depression. I deeply regret taking them so long and really just taking them at all.

C

cappuccinogirl

Experienced
Aug 11, 2018
So I just recently went back to therapy and because I was on the age range of 17-18 and psychiatrists couldnt give me a true diagnosis because of my age SSRIs were never talked about. But now that Im going back they are recommending that I look into and and rather than them prescribe them to me my therapist would rather have me find out and talk to him about what ones I see are going to benefit me the most. I have looked into it and i can understand alot of stuff about my own health and do alot of metacognitive thought but I have no clue wtf these SSRIs are gonna do.

Basically can some of you guys tell me ur expierneces and suggest some stuff for me.
I have npd and mdd just for some clearification if that matters.
Please don't go near them. Serious side effects and can be very addictive. They've ruined me. Xxx
They've permanently caused me emotional numbness, PSSD, insomnia, physical changes, body numbness, loss of taste and smell, etc. It's the reason I will end my life. And they caused shitty sexual side and emotional side effects while on them too. People dismissing them as safe have no clue the hell they can cause. Plus while they have some benefit for severe OCD they have small benefit for depression. I deeply regret taking them so long and really just taking them at all.
Same here. Reason I'm on here xx

wordsonscreen

wordsonscreen

Peanuts aren't nuts! They're seeds!
Jan 21, 2021
Everyones brain is different... cant say until you've tried. Make an informed decision after understanding the risks.

Silver

Silver

The 21st century is when everything changes
Aug 8, 2020
Be aware they can increase suicidal thinking for under 25s and that you'll likely feel worse before you feel better. Personally they worked for me for a little while, but I've tried all the SSRIs now and they don't help anymore.

finalexit

finalexit

Jan 24, 2021
Tried various types of antidepressants in the past and had bad side effects with most, and no improvement with any.

• Hmph!
Reactions: cappuccinogirl