• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
I tried everything but ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) for my major depressive disorder. The psychiatrist I saw last time I was in psych ward said it would be a good idea, but never pushed it further. Seems like it's not available where I live. But there's a clinic not far from where my father lives which seems to offer ECT. I could try to contact them.

I'm desperate, I would try anything to stay alive but at the current time I can't stop thinking of CTBing, even when I'm asleep I dream of it. But at the same time, I would like so much to stay alive. I feel like I have so much to offer. Writing, singing, playing music: these are the things I used to enjoy and be good at, and can't do anymore because I'm too depressed. I can't work. I can't make friends. I can't study. I can't do anything but crying in my bed, lurking SaSu and Twitter, sometimes playing video games when I'm able to. I've been depressed since I was 10, I can feel all my mental abilities decline, and I feel like it's gonna be only downhill from here if nothing is done. If I keep on living this way, I will be suffering for years before my physical health declines as well and I will suffer even more. My mother died at 56 of lung cancer and she lived through hell for one year and a half before dying in excruciating pain. My father is 65, has sciatica, and he suffers so much from it that he jokingly said he'd buy a one-way ticket to Switzerland, or at least throw himself in front of a car so that he could be operated on. And it's only sciatica. He's only 65 and he's already thinking of suicide, not because of his mental health which seems rather stable compared to mine, but because of the pain age inflicts on him.
Ageing is no joke. I'm so afraid of it. I'm fat, I smoke, I can't stop gaining weight. I will end up having diabetes and cancer. But at the same time, I know I have this unhealthy behavior because I wanna die.
So as much as my life is clearly not worth living at the current time, it can't be anything but worse. I don't see myself live through this. ECT is my only hope. I tried EVERYTHING. So much meds, therapy, narcotics. Nothing ever worked (well, narcotics helped but for a few weeks only). But ECT seems efficient and promising, and I don't wanna die without trying it. If it could at least allow me to live my life and not leave my partner alone...

Has anyone tried ECT? What was it like? Did you find it helpful?

Reactions: divinemistress36
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Enlightened
Jan 1, 2024
Yes, it worked temporarily but it came with a lot of memory loss. Like I can't remember a lot of events in my life, people, or pets. It wasn't worth the temporary relief to me to loose so many memories . Not everyone gets bad memory loss , they don't know why some people do and some don't. It's a last resort treatment . If you go into it with the knowledge that you may permanently loose memories it's worth a shot. The doctors lied to me and said it was just temporary. It does save people's lives though as it's most effective for severe treatment resistant depression

Upvote 0
LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
Yes, it worked temporarily but it came with a lot of memory loss. Like I can't remember a lot of events in my life, people, or pets. It wasn't worth the temporary relief to me to loose so many memories . Not everyone gets bad memory loss , they don't know why some people do and some don't. It's a last resort treatment . If you go into it with the knowledge that you may permanently loose memories it's worth a shot. The doctors lied to me and said it was just temporary. It does save people's lives though as it's most effective for severe treatment resistant depression
Yeah I know about the awful side effects some people get. It's definitely a last resort treatment to me. I'm in such pain I'd try anything. Tried esketamine on my own because psychiatrists don't give a shit about my mental health and wouldn't try alternative treatments on me. Got addicted for two months and a half, lost a lot of money, but you know what? It was definitely worth it, those were the happiest months of my life. It helped for a while, but the serotoninergic effects kinda vanished and I got severe bladder symptoms. So I quit and now I stay away from it.
Tried heroin and pregabalin as well, same shit. It works for a while, and then you build a tolerance and it's over. I still take pregabalin every other day, which results in slight mood improvement but I still wanna CTB.
I'd trade my memory for any slight mood improvement whatsoever, even temporary. I definitely see my depression as a terminal illness and if I can gain a few months of life, so be it. Because I'm not gonna last long like this. The problem is, I don't know how to have access to rTMS or ECT, it seems like I gotta have a paper from my GP but she's overbooked and doesn't have any appointment available for the moment. I don't wanna see yet another psychiatrist who's gonna bullshit me and keep me on ISRS, THEY DON'T WORK, I KNOW. I saw psychiatrists for seven years, nothing got better, it's not the solution. But it's kinda urgent, if I have an appointment in July, idk if I'm gonna make it through.
I've read so many bad things about ECT here, you're the first one who underlines some positive aspects about it lol. But all in all, I have nothing to lose. I'll try, and if it doesn't work, so be it, I'll CTB without regrets.

• Hugs
Reactions: pilotviolin
Upvote 0
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Enlightened
Jan 1, 2024
Yeah I know about the awful side effects some people get. It's definitely a last resort treatment to me. I'm in such pain I'd try anything. Tried esketamine on my own because psychiatrists don't give a shit about my mental health and wouldn't try alternative treatments on me. Got addicted for two months and a half, lost a lot of money, but you know what? It was definitely worth it, those were the happiest months of my life. It helped for a while, but the serotoninergic effects kinda vanished and I got severe bladder symptoms. So I quit and now I stay away from it.
Tried heroin and pregabalin as well, same shit. It works for a while, and then you build a tolerance and it's over. I still take pregabalin every other day, which results in slight mood improvement but I still wanna CTB.
I'd trade my memory for any slight mood improvement whatsoever, even temporary. I definitely see my depression as a terminal illness and if I can gain a few months of life, so be it. Because I'm not gonna last long like this. The problem is, I don't know how to have access to rTMS or ECT, it seems like I gotta have a paper from my GP but she's overbooked and doesn't have any appointment available for the moment. I don't wanna see yet another psychiatrist who's gonna bullshit me and keep me on ISRS, THEY DON'T WORK, I KNOW. I saw psychiatrists for seven years, nothing got better, it's not the solution. But it's kinda urgent, if I have an appointment in July, idk if I'm gonna make it through.
I've read so many bad things about ECT here, you're the first one who underlines some positive aspects about it lol. But all in all, I have nothing to lose. I'll try, and if it doesn't work, so be it, I'll CTB without regrets.
I understand I have tried it all too. Ketamine helped temporarily the infusions are a lot more potent than the spray. I did TMS and didn't work, my doc said it's not usually helpful for those with severe depression but those with mild or moderate but it's worth a shot. ECT is worth trying as a Last resort

Upvote 0
LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
I understand I have tried it all too. Ketamine helped temporarily the infusions are a lot more potent than the spray. I did TMS and didn't work, my doc said it's not usually helpful for those with severe depression but those with mild or moderate but it's worth a shot. ECT is worth trying as a Last resort
Okay, good to know about TMS. It contradicts what the studies say about TMS and TRD, but from what I've read here, it doesn't seem to work either. And I'm always cautious when I read studies because you know, researchers aren't always honest and may depend on pharmaceutical interests. But what I've read here might be a biased sample though, as people whose condition has improved may not feel the need to come back on SaSu.

Reactions: ForgottenAgain
Upvote 0
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Enlightened
Jan 1, 2024
Okay, good to know about TMS. It contradicts what the studies say about TMS and TRD, but from what I've read here, it doesn't seem to work either. And I'm always cautious when I read studies because you know, researchers aren't always honest and may depend on pharmaceutical interests. But what I've read here might be a biased sample though, as people whose condition has improved may not feel the need to come back on SaSu.
That's true our brain chemistry is all so different. Are you in the USA?

Upvote 0
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Enlightened
Jan 1, 2024
No I'm not, fortunately enough lol. The USA healthcare system is shit. Where I live it's all refunded.
It really is . I was going to say there are some places here where one can go do a shroom assisted therapy

Upvote 0
LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
It really is . I was going to say there are some places here where one can go do a shroom assisted therapy
I tried shrooms too (although for recreational purposes), it doesn't work on me. LSD and MDMA neither. No effect whatsoever.

Upvote 0
beetle

beetle

Mar 28, 2024
Haven't personally tried it, but I know someone who has tried ketamine/shrooms/other medication, therapy, etc. with no differences, but recently started doing ECT and is so much happier now. They've also experienced quite a bit of memory loss but they felt better almost immediately and for the long-term. Like @divinemistress36 said, if you're okay with the memory loss then I think it's a good option to consider. Best of luck in your treatment :)

Upvote 0
LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
Haven't personally tried it, but I know someone who has tried ketamine/shrooms/other medication, therapy, etc. with no differences, but recently started doing ECT and is so much happier now. They've also experienced quite a bit of memory loss but they felt better almost immediately and for the long-term. Like @divinemistress36 said, if you're okay with the memory loss then I think it's a good option to consider. Best of luck in your treatment :)
Thank you so much for your insight! I'm glad to read something positive about ECT. It gives me a little bit of hope.

Upvote 0
arnxxx

arnxxx

Student
Mar 8, 2024
Lurking here. ECT will probably be the next (final?) step after rTMS Im getting now (doesn't work)

I couldn't care less about something as minor as memory loss?? This is about getting my life back. I became suicidal and ended up here . I don't want to die. I want to get better. At this point side effects don't matter.

Or is it really that bad that i should care?

Upvote 0
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Enlightened
Jan 1, 2024
Lurking here. ECT will probably be the next (final?) step after rTMS Im getting now (doesn't work)

I couldn't care less about something as minor as memory loss?? This is about getting my life back. I became suicidal and ended up here . I don't want to die. I want to get better. At this point side effects don't matter.

Or is it really that bad that i should care?
Everyone is different. Some people it's minor some severe .

Upvote 1
R

restlessdream3r

Apr 12, 2024
I tried ECT- I had 16 treatments total. It was my last hope. I tried everything before that, including 30 different medications. At first it did help me, I think it even pushed me into the manic side of things a little. I saw improvement within 4/5 sessions. After that though, it was all downhill. I had severe memory loss, short and long term. I was forgetting not only things that happened during the time spam of the treatment periods, but years before that. It is scary, I still suffer from memory loss. Both kinds. I forget huge chunks of my life. I wish I could go back in time and not do it. Every person is different though. Do your research đź’• I felt like I had nothing to lose.

Upvote 0
onmy12threason

onmy12threason

When the time is right
Apr 23, 2024
Sorry to hear that you're struggling right now. I understand that it must feel incredibly disappointing to have tried so many treatments and experience little improvement. Though I can't speak for ECT, I have done TMS as a treatment for persistent depression. I find that many of these alternative treatments are not long-term solutions for depression. I'm still not too sure if TMS made me feel anything, if not the placebo effect.

Reactions: LunarLight
Upvote 0
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Enlightened
Jan 1, 2024
I tried ECT- I had 16 treatments total. It was my last hope. I tried everything before that, including 30 different medications. At first it did help me, I think it even pushed me into the manic side of things a little. I saw improvement within 4/5 sessions. After that though, it was all downhill. I had severe memory loss, short and long term. I was forgetting not only things that happened during the time spam of the treatment periods, but years before that. It is scary, I still suffer from memory loss. Both kinds. I forget huge chunks of my life. I wish I could go back in time and not do it. Every person is different though. Do your research đź’• I felt like I had nothing to lose.
It's so heart breaking loosing huge chunks of memory huh. I break down crying when people mention concerts , event, trips I went on with them and I can't remember. My mom brought up my past dogs I had and memories with them and I can't remember I just had a total mental break down. I'm angry at doctors who said the memory loss would be temporary

Reactions: LunarLight
Upvote 0