M

miserabletires9

Student
Mar 27, 2023
Has anyone here streamed their ctb process for the other people on this forum to watch?

Would people in America get in trouble if they get on a ctb lives treated and watched?

Suwa

Suwa

May 7, 2023
You interested in watching some gore, or are you genuinely curious? Regardless, the chance is very high, at least one person has. I remember watching a video that was originally livestreamed of premature death, and I could probably find the link again if I went digging a little.
As for your question, it is not illegal to livestream suicide, however depending on where you do it, it may get taken down. It is also not illegal to watch a suicide.
Ask any questions if you want.

Reactions: squirley
M

miserabletires9

Student
Mar 27, 2023
You interested in watching some gore, or are you genuinely curious? Regardless, the chance is very high, at least one person has. I remember watching a video that was originally livestreamed of premature death, and I could probably find the link again if I went digging a little.
As for your question, it is not illegal to livestream suicide, however depending on where you do it, it may get taken down. It is also not illegal to watch a suicide.
Ask any questions if you want.
I want to know the legal side of it. Not wanting to watch any gore.

Are you in the legal field? Can someone upload the livestream to the internet? Would that person get in trouble legally?

Suwa

Suwa

May 7, 2023
I want to know the legal side of it. Not wanting to watch any gore.

Are you in the legal field? Can someone upload the livestream to the internet? Would that person get in trouble legally?
Alright, that's nice to hear, haha. Glad.
And yes, you are allowed to upload this livestream to the internet without getting in any legal trouble. However, as said before, your past may get taken down depending on where you post it.

Reactions: squirley
squirley

squirley

: )
May 6, 2023
Looking up different methods etc.
I've came across a few videos. From live streams. I'm not sure if screen recording then uploading somewhere else would be illegal. As there are gore type sites that exist. Are you wanting to upload something? VPN . And to the right site . I suppose

M

miserabletires9

Student
Mar 27, 2023
Alright, that's nice to hear, haha. Glad.
And yes, you are allowed to upload this livestream to the internet without getting in any legal trouble. However, as said before, your past may get taken down depending on where you post it.
If I post it to YouTube account with no subscriber, no posts before, and the title of the video won't have any death keywords, and the content is just me drinking and passing out, how likely is it to be taken down

Suwa

Suwa

May 7, 2023
If I post it to YouTube account with no subscriber, no posts before, and the title of the video won't have any death keywords, and the content is just me drinking and passing out, how likely is it to be taken down
It doesn't sound like it would get taken down, at least not immediately. The only catch here is new channels do not have the option to go live, if that is what you're planning. You should try a dedicated image hosting site, like Evilzone (no live here, either). For the very best chance if it not being taken down, you could upload it as a file with a different or no extension, so to any random person it would look like a random file, but people who know what it is could add the extension and access the file normally.

Rocket

Rocket

Oct 12, 2022
Recently someone posted a peaceful journey of a lady in Germany, it's in this thread:

There isn't much to get in legal trouble for, if you're gone there's no issue. As xEron said, it might be taken down afterwards as a TOS violation. Sites like Anonfiles are the best places to keep content, but I don't think they have streaming. If you have a friend who can access the stream, it can be reuploaded to a site that won't take it down. There's no legal issue with watching it, but folks should protect their privacy always and use Tor and a VPN or whatever is possible for safety.

Reactions: murmur, squirley and Suwa
Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023

Please don't livestream or upload your ctb, particularly if you're American.

Reactions: Lawliet
Lawliet

Lawliet

b a n g
Sep 15, 2020
if it fails you'll be in trouble

it is actually illegal to watch a livestream of a suicide and not do anything about it. you can be held liable by the authorities

it is actually illegal to watch a livestream of a suicide and not do anything about it. you can be held liable by the authorities
for instance, say that the family finds out that you watched their relative die and you did nothing to intervene. They could sue you

• Informative
Reactions: IndyAna, Rocket and sadToast
M

miserabletires9

Student
Mar 27, 2023

for instance, say that the family finds out that you watched their relative die and you did nothing to intervene. They could sue you
Where did you get that?

If what you say is true, then this website should have been sued thousand times over.

Also, I believe that there are old threads on here talking about a Swedish gentleman ctb and many people here watched him ctb

Last edited:
Lawliet

Lawliet

b a n g
Sep 15, 2020
read the disclaimer:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

it's on a case to case basis and it's all your word versus the family's. in the usa you can be held liable for not intervening, or for not informing the authorities of someone's passing after the fact. there was a case involving this a few years ago in my state.
if you want to watch a suicide, get a good vpn at the very least.

Reactions: Rocket and Little_Suzy
M

miserabletires9

Student
Mar 27, 2023
read the disclaimer:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

it's on a case to case basis and it's all your word versus the family's. in the usa you can be held liable for not intervening, or for not informing the authorities of someone's passing after the fact. there was a case involving this a few years ago in my state.
There's another article here

Netflix had a documentary called 13 reason why. They even documented their girls suicide thoughts.

If what you say is true, then you are in trouble as well. As you know I am suicidal
read the disclaimer:

if you want to watch a suicide, get a good vpn at the very least.
Plus, you are talking about the family filing some civil lawsuit. Anyone can sue anyone in America

Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
This is for us?

Asked on May 7, 2012 under Criminal Law, Georgia

Answers:

Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor
A person does not have a legal duty to act on behalf of someone to prevent them from comitting suicide. So long as the person does not illegally contribute to the suicide or illegally assist in the carrying out of the suicide, that person should not be charged criminally.

Consider shepardizing in your jurisdiction. We need accurate information to address legal inquiries. Consult a local lawyer. Nobody should respond to legal queries on a forum unless they cite the law itself.

Reactions: Rocket
M

miserabletires9

Student
Mar 27, 2023
This is for us?

Asked on May 7, 2012 under Criminal Law, Georgia

Answers:

Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor
A person does not have a legal duty to act on behalf of someone to prevent them from comitting suicide. So long as the person does not illegally contribute to the suicide or illegally assist in the carrying out of the suicide, that person should not be charged criminally.

Consider shepardizing in your jurisdiction. We need accurate information to address legal inquiries. Consult a local lawyer. Nobody should respond to legal queries on a forum unless they cite the law itself.

Yes, every state can be a bit different. But the base is similar.

Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023

Yes, every state can be a bit different. But the base is similar.

I think it's fantastic that you want to learn about the law, and you should do it in your own jurisdiction.

I'm not interested in watching a live ctb webcast. First and foremost, I do not want to encourage it. Second, a person should not have their own ctb video online because it's traumatizing to their loved ones. Third, I don't want my name on your live ctb, where I may be doxxed or legally pursued.

I respect SaSu members who post messages, because they receive the support they need from the community while still maintaining their privacy and dignity.

Reactions: Rocket
M

miserabletires9

Student
Mar 27, 2023
I think it's fantastic that you want to learn about the law, and you should do it in your own jurisdiction.

I'm not interested in watching a live ctb webcast. First and foremost, I do not want to encourage it. Second, a person should not have their own ctb video online because it's traumatizing to their loved ones. Third, I don't want my name on your live ctb, where I may be doxxed or legally pursued.

I respect SaSu members who post messages, because they receive the support they need from the community while still maintaining their privacy and dignity.
I thought this forum is all about choices. Someone recently actually posted a thread about livestreaming ctb and who wants to watch. A lot of people did. I think that op end up getting engaged and not ctb anymore. It's also a resource to the community as well regarding the pain and efficiency of the methods.

And how's your name on my ctb gonna get doxxed and sued? But your name here on this forum not getting doxxed and sued? Your name on a live stream can be anything as well

Also, watching someone can may provide company and comfort to the person ctbing.

• Love
Reactions: ctb-soon
Rocket

Rocket

Oct 12, 2022
I'd like to amend what I said about viewing, I meant watching a video after the fact, not a livestream. I hadn't thought of a group of people actually watching live, I was thinking of a replay like the German lady's clip posted with my comment.

Little Suzy is right about local laws and jurisdiction. For folks who don't know, Shepardizing is a legal term. It's for attorneys to locate the subsequent history of a case using Shepard's Citations. This process can locate a list of decisions which either follow, distinguish, or overrule any case. Basically, since new court decisions happen, Shepardizing is to check what's considered "good law" at the time.

Lawliet is also correct about the livestream potential of liability for viewers. While Tor and VPN might help mask the viewer, it's still not out of the range of possibility if, as Lawliet mentions, the family or others wanted to hold livestream viewers responsible.

All that being said, a good lawyers job is to look at all the potential risks. But it's up to the client how risk-adverse (or not) they are. MiserableTires9, you're getting some excellent ideas from people who I can tell are knowledgeable about this. Ultimately, it's your decision. But some great points have been brought up and since the law is patchwork on these types of matters, the least risky option is to only have something posted after the fact by a trusted friend.

Reactions: Little_Suzy
M

miserabletires9

Student
Mar 27, 2023
"the family or others wanted to hold livestream viewers responsible"

That's a civil issue. I am asking about a criminal issue. Would the police go after viewers of a live ctb stream? And I would say no.

Every article is about providing resources or encouraging someone to ctb. Not just view ctb. If someone is jumping off the golden gate bridge, and I just stand there 6 feet away saying nothing and do nothing, there's no way I would be held responsible by the government.

leloyon

leloyon

I'll see you in the Wired.
Feb 4, 2023
If it hasn't happened yet, it's likely only a matter of time, unless we get shut down before.

A

AerialBoundaries

The Songs of Distant Earth.
Sep 18, 2022
I haven't, but I did watch a suicide livestream about 15 years ago on Justin.tv.

Tobacco

Tobacco

Efilist. Possible promortalist.
Jan 14, 2023
I saw someone do it on discord.

LoneForest

LoneForest

Remember things can always get worse!!!
Apr 24, 2023
I have seen some written reports from members watching other users consume SN (this one looks like it was livestreamed but there is no video.) and a video of a woman taking SN live on a videocall to another user but nothing publically livestreamed (from here) with a video as far as I know.

Outside of this forum there are MANY videos of people streaming their ctb publically. Methods ranging from hanging to jumping to shooting, drinking pesticide, stabbing and pretty much every other way you can possibly think of. It's certainly possible at least one of the people doing so has had an account here.

Masonfight

Masonfight

Oct 13, 2020
I think livestreaming would be a good thing.