N

Noone

Jul 30, 2018
In spite of everything I do believe in one. Despite the agony I do feel like there is more to all this than just suffering and reward receptors.

Reactions: Nzbeelover, BlackDragonof1989, Morning Angel and 6 others
anna

anna

downfall
Mar 18, 2018
if it exists it must be a real bastard
but I really do not think there is any "god"
and I do not believe in any religion

Reactions: betteroffdead, Zanexx, BaconCheeseburger and 13 others
T

Tiburcio

No.

But if it truly exists and it doesn't anything for improving this shitty world, it's a complete asshole and I'll become satanic. Maybe the other side is not so bastard.

Or maybe it diesn't anything because this is hell... who knows.

Reactions: RainAndSadness, Meena, Strumgewehr and 5 others
Xmac000

Xmac000

Somewhere...
May 23, 2018
Well if there is a god a lot of people think its an asshole for not intervening and preventing bad things from happening but think about it. Do we intervene with the circle of life? Do we stop animals from eating other animals? No we don't. We let things play out. Why then would we get upset when a god refuses to intervene in our lives. It would be extremely hard to stop all the killings and suffering in the wilderness then again we're not omipotent and omnipresent.

Anyway,

"You're more advanced than a cockroach, have you ever tried explaining yourself to one of them?"

A quote from mothman prophecies explaining why a god if one existed would not communicate with us.

I personally don't believe in any gods but its interesting to talk about.

Reactions: Morning Angel, Nzbeelover, BlackDragonof1989 and 1 other person
S

ScaredOfLife

Arcanist
Jul 9, 2018
Well if there is a god a lot of people think its an asshole for not intervening and preventing bad things from happening but think about it. Do we intervene with the circle of life? Do we stop animals from eating other animals? No we don't. We let things play out. Why then would we get upset when a god refuses to intervene in our lives. It would be extremely hard to stop all the killings and suffering in the wilderness then again we're not omipotent and omnipresent.

Anyway,

"You're more advanced than a cockroach, have you ever tried explaining yourself to one of them?"

A quote from mothman prophecies explaining why a god if one existed would not communicate with us.

This is unrelated, but is that Vin Diesel in your profile pic?

Reactions: lv-gras, BlackDragonof1989 and Tiburcio
Midnight

Midnight

Beyond solace
Jun 30, 2018
When i saw the title i was like ... Nope. First documentary i saw about space when i was a kid was more than enough to conclude that religion is just one big farce.

Also given the fact that for thousands of years civilisations believed in a multitude of "gods" (well those weren't the correct ones i guess) and even today there are multiple religions believing in different types of "gods" which one would be the correct god then?

Reactions: azeton, Strumgewehr, BlackDragonof1989 and 2 others
Definitelyworried

Definitelyworried

Jun 19, 2018
In spite of everything I do believe in one. Despite the agony I do feel like there is more to all this than just suffering and reward receptors.
I kind of feel the same way, I could relate.

Reactions: lv-gras, BlackDragonof1989 and Tiburcio
R

ReleaseMe

I know it's over And it never really began
May 26, 2018
Spent half my youth discussing with religious people (I'm an atheist). today i envy those who "want to believe" :-)

Reactions: BlackDragonof1989 and Tiburcio
skitliv

skitliv

Le mort joyeux
Jul 11, 2018
I personally believe that is all there is, blind forces of nature at play, etc.

Reactions: Morning Angel, BlackDragonof1989, Deleted_9cKnXB34QG and 4 others
Empty Smile

Empty Smile

The final Bell has rung. Goodbye to all.
Jul 13, 2018
I believe in nothing. I would truly believe there is an Easter Bunny before I believe there is a god.

Reactions: betteroffdead, Dip, Comatose11 and 8 others
Justanotherconsumer

Justanotherconsumer

Paragon
Jul 9, 2018
Are creators are our parents, is the only thing i can conclude for certain, nobody really knows the origins of life so the unexplainable falls in the realm of god. And its a very profitable business, gives hope even if its false.Einstein was open to "Spinozas" god, an impersonal god that we are incapable of understanding, because he could see order and design. Society will adopt whatever god adapts to the current political and social climate just depends whos in power.

Reactions: BlackDragonof1989, shadow11, Tiburcio and 1 other person
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018

Anyway,

While interesting but not accurate if we assume God is the ultimate creator.

Imagine you are programming a game or generally a computer program. You are making an extremely intelligent characters that can live and interact within the program boundaries. They'll never know who is their creator because its out of boundaries. The same concept can be applied on us, if God is supernatural, we can't know anything. The only thing we know is the possibility of existence.

As for the second part, assuming God is the ultimate creator, God can intervene and change anything. Why God doesn't do anything? Maybe the universe and nature are troublesome things that took power and they should never be made?

But at the end, if we assume God is the creator of everything, then he created logic and what if logic doesn't apply? This can lead to many paradoxes and endless loops without a real answer

This is all with the God assumption like the extraordinary who made everything. But if not, things will be different

Reactions: MyImmortal, lv-gras, BlackDragonof1989 and 2 others
Ashpac

Ashpac

Lost and always will be.
Jul 22, 2018
Brilliant video about god IMO.

Reactions: betteroffdead, bbq1, BlackDragonof1989 and 2 others
N

Noone

Jul 30, 2018
I still believe.

I still believe.

Reactions: lv-gras, BlackDragonof1989, mattwitt and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 847

I believe that many entities created this place as a soul farm, but I wouldn't call them god or gods. Just evil aliens.

Reactions: Meena and BlackDragonof1989
Xmac000

Xmac000

Somewhere...
May 23, 2018
I believe that many entities created this place as a soul farm, but I wouldn't call them god or gods. Just evil aliens.
I think a coalition is a lot more likely as you said. To create something like this would take more than one so it seems.

Reactions: BaconCheeseburger and BlackDragonof1989
K

KCN

El revisionismo en castillano
Jul 16, 2018
I don't have any beliefs. In the end even if you fabricate an imaginary afterlife where you're supposed to "live" billions of years doing basically nothing, it's all just random entertainment and a consolation for the weaker

Reactions: Midnight, Deleted_9cKnXB34QG, Comatose11 and 2 others
D

Deleted member 847

I don't have any beliefs. In the end even if you fabricate an imaginary afterlife where you're supposed to "live" billions of years doing basically nothing, it's all just random entertainment and a consolation for the weaker
But you wouldn't have to be "you" in an after life for billions of years. You could memory wipe yourself and then start again as another character with the same enthusiasm you had when things were new for you. This is better than oblivion in my opinion. We dying forever, and then the whole universe dying forever after us just ruins the purpose of existence. Why have something from nothing and then that something becomes nothing again forever. A cycle of nothingness and existence makes more sense to me than just nothingness - existence and then nothingness forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: shadow11 and BlackDragonof1989
K

KCN

Jul 16, 2018
You could memory wipe yourself and then start again as another character

assuming that existence has the same dynamics of a videogame is too much of a stretch from my point of view.

Besides, I'm talking about the intrinsic lack of meaning of existence, no matter how much you're supposedly sent on another reality to play the game all over again

Why have something from nothing

The universe doesn't come from literal nothing, but from quantum void fluctuations. There are a lot of physics paper on that, making assumption about nothingness is out of place. We can experience nothingness even in an universe that doesn't allow its most proper form

Reactions: BlackDragonof1989
D

Deleted member 847

assuming that existence has the same dynamics of a videogame is too much of a stretch from my point of view.

Besides, I'm talking about the intrinsic lack of meaning of existence, no matter how much you're supposedly sent on another reality to play the game all over again

The universe doesn't come from literal nothing, but from quantum void fluctuations. There are a lot of physics paper on that, making assumption about nothingness is out of place. We can experience nothingness even in an universe that doesn't allow its most proper form

I'm talking about literal nothing. The universe did come from fucking nothing man, because those fluctuations still have to come from something.

Reactions: BlackDragonof1989
C

Comatose11

Mage
Jul 26, 2018
If one exists they're a complete asshole, but I think the chances of one existing is slim. But hey, everyone's entitled to their beliefs.

Reactions: Deleted_9cKnXB34QG, lv-gras, BlackDragonof1989 and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 847

I think you don't understand what I'm saying. The universe is not just the amount of galaxies and stars that we see, it is also the fluctuations, atoms, particles and whatever you either have to believe that something came from nothing or that there is no such a thing as nothingness and there was always something.

K

KCN

Jul 16, 2018
I think you don't understand what I'm saying. The universe is not just the amount of galaxies and stars that we see, it is also the fluctuations, atoms, particles and whatever you either have to believe that something came from nothing or that there is no such a thing as nothingness and there was always something.

I think you didn't even care to read fully that paper. The title is a bit misleading, but the contents provide a lot of explanations

D

Deleted member 847

I think you didn't even care to read fully that paper. The title is a bit misleading, but the contents provide a lot of explanations
I'm not reading it. I'm more on philosophy here than physics. What is your point anyway? Are you trying to say that fluctuations don't come from nothing or what? They just magically exist for no reason? Are we trying to prove that 2+2 equals 5 through physics?

Reactions: lv-gras
K

KCN

Jul 16, 2018
I'm not reading it. I'm more on philosophy here than physics. What is your point anyway? Are you trying to say that fluctuations don't come from nothing or what? They just magically exist for no reason? Are we trying to prove that 2+2 equals 5 through physics?

Basically you're saying that you're unwilling to read about real findings to stick up with a world of fantasies that remain unproven.
That settles the dispute for me, there's no common ground. Bye

D

Deleted member 847

Whatever exist, it exists because it came from nothing. It's just logic.
Basically you're saying that you're unwilling to read about real findings to stick up with a world of fantasies that remain unproven.

Well I'm trying to understand your point first. What do you believe? How can I have a debate with you if you don't state your position?