• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
Thank you for sharing. Another example of this is Sylvia Plath's family.

My grandmother attempted suicide twice (died from complications from second OD but some time later) and I know that depression is common on my father's side.
Yes my old man was never one for laughing, quite the opposite. Unfortunately I seem to be the one who got his shitty personality etc .. I think he beat it into me

Rose

Rose

ad finitum
Nov 11, 2018
This is interesting! My bloodline almost definitely has this gene or one with similar effects.
Scary that the first thing people want to do when they've discovered this is use it to... keep people who are suffering in part thanks to their genetic lottery alive against their will. Artificially perpetuating a gene that makes people incredibly more likely to be unhappy to the point of being suicidal in the first place.

Lra888

Lra888

Enlightened
Sep 30, 2018
This is interesting! My bloodline almost definitely has this gene or one with similar effects.
Scary that the first thing people want to do when they've discovered this is use it to... keep people who are suffering in part thanks to their genetic lottery alive against their will. Artificially perpetuating a gene that makes people incredibly more likely to be unhappy to the point of being suicidal in the first place.
That was partially my interpretation of the article as well - new people (customers) for their treatment. If people are predetermined for mental torment doesn't that give them more reason to exit life, they were born with a genetic predisposition to mental agony. "$$$ oh let's hospitalize them and drug them to keep them trapped here $$$".

Rose

Rose

ad finitum
Nov 11, 2018
That was partially my interpretation of the article as well - new people (customers) for their treatment. If people are predetermined for mental torment doesn't that give them more reason to exit life, they were born with a genetic predisposition to mental agony. "$$$ oh let's hospitalize them and drug them to keep them trapped here $$$".
It makes me especially sick that they preface this as kindness. It is in some people's genetic code that they will suffer. They will not be able to do anything to help. Letting (and helping) those that are suffering go free would be a million times kinder than this system, or any others they'll come up with in the future

Dani Paradox

Dani Paradox

Permanently Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I don't think anyone in my family has ever ctb either. But I do remember my father saying something when I was little about someone on my mother's side killing their family with an axe or some shit a really long time ago like before she was born. :nomouth:

Johnnythefox

Johnnythefox

Que sera sera
Nov 11, 2018
It would go some way to answering the question I often ask myself "why am I like this" I don't know of anyone in my family who have CTB, but I know some have tried.
There are always skeletons in the closet in every family and being a taboo subject many families will not want to talk about it or admit that it occurred in previous generations, or they could be unaware of the fate of previous generations.

T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
Let's see. My great grandmother and two of her four sisters ctb. My great-aunt ctb. My mother attempted to ctb and my sister almost did. I wonder if it runs in my family...

Not to get into the many complex facets of genetics and evolution, but I will toss out there that some genes that are very negative in some ways provide major benefits in others. The classic case is the gene that produces sickle-cell anemia, which also protects against malaria. Perhaps the gene for suicidal depression confers some as-yet undetermined evolutionary advantage. Perhaps only when one copy is inherited, rather than two, but it would be an interesting study to see if there are other trends beyond suicidal depression for those who carry either one or two copies of the RGS2 gene.

And for the more pessimistic of us here at the forum, might I recommend the movie "Gattaca": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gattaca

Jodes

Jodes

Enlightened
Nov 23, 2018
I think one thing is suicidal people have nothing to loose. That could be used or abused to help spread other related genes

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
O

okyeah

Arcanist
Jul 20, 2018
Cool to think about. If you really think about it, genetics have way more control over our lives than we would think. Facial features, voice, personality, vocabulary, etc.

There is so much influence that makes us who we are, in terms of social status, that is controlled by genetics that it is so hard to believe that I have any control whatsoever lol.

M

MsM3talGamer

Voluntary deletion
Nov 28, 2018
My cousin's son committed suicide last year and depression runs in the family. My mother has always been disassociated and depressed. I seem to have inherited this from her. Also, abusive parenting runs in both sides of the family through generations. The only successful people are my uncle's two children because he wasn't abusive to them. The rest of us are car crash material with a variety of mental health disorders and addictions.

Jane Doe

Jane Doe

Student
Aug 19, 2018
Don't know if this has been covered before on here, I've only just come across it. Makes for an interesting theory though, I never knew that so many of hemminways family had CTB.
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2011/nov/14/gene-raises-suicide-risk
Yip. I was aware of this as had a friend in school whos dad ctb then he did. Same age and method as his dad.
I also recently found out that my own husbands dad ctb in 1996. This was a huge family secret and I literally only found out last week, explains a lot though.

15dec

15dec

ember in the dark
Dec 7, 2018
Two of my cousins ctb, my aunt checked herself into hospital for feeling suicidal. My dad says he struggles every day and he and my mum often say they don't know why they bother anymore. I think it runs in my family as well; wish there was some way I could find out for certain though. Knowing would be nice