TakeMeToHeaven

TakeMeToHeaven

Jul 25, 2024
Some research suggests that trauma can affect a person's DNA and influence the health of future generations. For example, children of women who experienced severe child abuse have depression rates that are 1.7 times higher. This is linked to an area of research known as epigenetics, which studies how people's environments and behaviors can affect and change how their genes work. These changes can be passed on from one generation to another, which is known as epigenetic inheritance.

Psychologists first explored the concept of generational trauma in the 1960s and it has gained more attention in recent years.

Generational trauma, also known as intergenerational or transgenerational trauma, is the idea that traumatic events experienced by one generation can have lasting effects on future generations. It can begin when a group experiences a traumatic event that causes economic, cultural, and familial distress, and people in that group develop physical or psychological symptoms in response.

• Informative
Reactions: Forever Sleep
Myforevercharlie

Myforevercharlie

Global Mod
Feb 13, 2020
My mom was abused by her dad, my grandmother by hers.
They both struggled with mental health problems.
In those days BPD was just called " hysterics '

I suffer from bpd. My son struggles with depression.
So yes, I think it's inheritable

I'm the last girl in that line thank god.
I got a son.

• Hugs
Reactions: ForgottenAgain, rozeske and Praestat_Mori
untothedepths

untothedepths

I'm so scared... I'm cold.
Mar 20, 2023
yeah i was pretty much diddled around with by my father, some dumb older kids who really enjoyed watching me cry and beg but they were probably abused too, my mom attempted and asked to touch me and then when i was teenager the numerous times i was groomed by like 2-3 guys without realizing it because i wanted acceptance since my mom loved calling me worthless. i bring up the 3rd parties because i think its a point that i already felt like i wasnt a victim...so when your dad diddles you it fucks you up so bad.

but aside from sexual abuse i gotta say the physical and emotional shit hurt just as much. and now learning this? its a good thing im infertile so if i had been raped i wouldnt give birth to a poor child by force. only thing i can say next is just fucking kill me already.

• Hugs
Reactions: ForgottenAgain, rozeske and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I think it does not affect genetics directly - that would imply that when new life is generated the female egg cells and the male sperms are affected by the "trauma" of the parents - well I think it's impossible to exclude this option bc nature and how everything works is by far not really understood there might still be a lot of factors that can have effects but we don't know about them yet.

I think it's more likely that "generational trauma" is passed on right after the new life is born - like we learn our native language from our parents, we learn how they behave, how they treat us, what they're talking about and many other things. Is this learning process scientifically understood completely? Afaik, no.

MH issues (if they r not a result of genetics) are developed over time. Many years or even decades. No newborn child is suicidal by birth (except genetics). In the vast majority of cases outer and often uncontrollable circumstances make people suicidal already in early childhood.

Reactions: Beyond_Repair
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
That's interesting. No, I don't think either of my parents were abused. I wasn't by my parents either although, I do believe I ended up growing up with a (suspected) narcissist whom I would describe as very psychologically, emotionally and occassionally physically abusive.

I wonder how much of it is nurture rather than nature though. I've known friends whose Dad was physically abusive to their Mum growing up to then have abusive relationships themselves- literally, broken bones and they wouldn't leave them. I think we tend to gravitate to what we know, rather than what's good for us a lot of the time.

Similarly, I'm glad I haven't had children. I don't think I would be a good role model. I'd hate to see them end up like me and I feel certain they would. They'd likely be given a similar outlook on life to me and they'd likely see me struggling to cope. I don't think either would set a child up well to cope in this world.

U

ultrasharpy123456

Wizard
Aug 18, 2022
But then you yourself the child must not become an abuser or a narcissist. And you have to break the cycle.

enduringwinter

enduringwinter

flower, water
Jun 20, 2024
Yeah my parents directly survived war and I myself survived sanction. But also our DNAs are literally screwed from warfare TCDD no need for this abstract stuff.

TakeMeToHeaven

TakeMeToHeaven

Jul 25, 2024
Yeah my parents directly survived war and I myself survived sanction. But also our DNAs are literally screwed from warfare TCDD no need for this abstract stuff.
This is linked to an area of research known as epigenetics, which studies how people's environments and behaviors can affect and change how their genes work.

This is linked to an area of research known as epigenetics, which studies how people's environments and behaviors can affect and change how their genes work.

I think it's a valid science to be honest

Reactions: Kali_Yuga13
enduringwinter

enduringwinter

flower, water
Jun 20, 2024

Do you feel good adding more evidence to show how extremely dysgenic I am or something?

Last edited:
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Both my parents served in a war that lasted more than a decade. I was born nearly after it ended. My father's side has a long line of mental illnesses. I think I was a lost cause from the beginning.

Reactions: enduringwinter
K

Kali_Yuga13

Student
Jul 11, 2024

I think epigenetics is legit. It addresses the 'nurture' side of the nature vs nurture equation. It's also gives a clue why no-contact with past abusers is suggested. When a child has to adapt their personality to accommodate a disordered parent over a long amount of time, usually all those adaptions to survive at home are the complete opposite to the traits one needs to survive in the world setting them up for failure and attracting new abusers.

My grandmom was horrifically abused. After a bunch of miscarriages she finally had my dad. IDK if it was the way she raised him or if he was born evil but he was a monster and knew and enjoyed that fact. Spoiling can also be a form of abuse, she worshiped him like a deity and I think it imparted a mentality that he could do no wrong which he took to extreme levels of depravity. I wish I could just forget it all.

locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
My mother grew up in Nazi Germany before and during WWII. I was neither abused, nor mistreated. Quite the opposite, actually.

• Hugs
Reactions: ForgottenAgain
ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
My mother was abused. She lived with an alcoholic father that sometimes had fits of rage. One day she walked in and her father was pointing a knife to her sister's neck.
I wouldn't say I was abused. She once was harsh with my sister and later on the day apologized. We didn't get to live with her for long though, she died when I was 13 and my sister 9 years old.