• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Frauw

Frauw

Nothing lasts
Oct 31, 2020
So I had been thinking lately about starting a fundraiser (for personal surgical reasons that I won't list here) as to hopefully give recovery a shot, but I can't help but feel like it's a dumb idea...

Reactions: mjs135
Weary Soul

Weary Soul

Soon I will be free
Nov 13, 2019
So I had been thinking lately about starting a fundraiser (for personal surgical reasons that I won't list here) as to hopefully give recovery a shot, but I can't help but feel like it's a dumb idea...
I have started a fundraiser - both for personal reasons, to help a family who has been so kind to me who are also about to be kicked out of their home, and to help get the knowledge out into the world about how devastating it is to live with an injury such as mine (TBI).

Oh - TBIs are well known among those who play high-contact sports (especially those who make a lot of money), like football players, boxers, and hockey players, etc.

However, among common people like me? Nope. Even my docs do not get it. Oh, they will nod their heads at me knowing concussions, let alone TBIs are bad, but they offer absolutely no help to treat symptoms or otherwise help - it is frustrating beyond belief. (Oh - one doc does prescribe anti-nausea med to help with the constant nausea and vomiting, but the pain? Forget it).

I want the problems of TBI to gain the same house-hold awareness as an illness like diabetes or cancer so that people do not have to suffer like I have. It has been so incredibly frustrating - I have lost everything, my ability to make a living, my family, and my friends.

Something needs to change, and hopefully, even if I can't make the change, maybe I can start the ball rolling and someone else may benefit by it.

Sorry, I digressed a little bit there (ha - typical of TBIs), what I wanted to say is that I did start a fundraiser and have gotten some help - enough for me to keep going for another month or so. And while I am incredibly grateful, I have no illusions that my time is very limited.

If you elect to start a fundraiser, some suggestions?

Create an online website of some type or use one that is already out there and try to spread the word to as many people as possible. Social media is a great way to do this. In my case, I have never really participated in social media, so it is biting me on the butt. So instead, I asked anyone who read my message to pass it on to as many others as they can within their social media if they felt it warranted and to pray/send positive energy my way. So far not many have wanted to spread my message along - but sadly, I think that this may just be normal in society today.

Create a blog as part of your website or to link to the website you set up to help fund you - be honest and tell people your story, you might just find some who are willing to help.

An ideal situation would be if somehow or other you could contact or get the attention of those well-versed in your situation and who are also a philanthropist to help to get your message out to your target audience (in my case neurosurgeons, neurologists, sports medicine people, as well as well-known players who participate in high-contact sports who also know how bad TBIs are and may understand what I am going through). Unfortunately I have not been able to break this particular barrier and my time is running out.

Be careful though, it can be dangerous to try and do all of this on social media, as it is known to be rife with fraud.

I think you should start that fund, maybe it will give you the help you need and no, it is not a dumb idea - not IMO. You will never know unless you try.

I wish you the best, and hope that you can get the aid you need,

<3

Upvote 0