Nature_is_God

Nature_is_God

The cause of suffering is the desire to exist
Jul 27, 2020
EC4EC310 AE8C 4E84 AC0F 701D91F2C04E

Life and work:
Born around 493 B.C. in Agrigentum, Sicily, Empedocles was known most famously as a poet and a pre-Socratic philosopher. Empedocles believed that the universe is based on the two opposing forces of love and strife, which combine to form matter and shape the four elements of earth, air, fire, and water. He also believed in a form of reincarnation and that death was a transformation (may have influenced his suicide).

Death:
It's believed that Empedocles threw himself into the Sicilian volcano Mount Etna (new CTB method? Probably not), making this the first recorded suicide in history.

C25B21BA 8C98 4B2A 8D81 ECFE57CC9B31

Many believed that Empedocles used such an unusual method of death to convince people he had vanished into thin air and became an immortal god (however, the volcano spit out one of his sandals, proving otherwise).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ERASED, sadghost, faraway_beach and 5 others
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
View attachment 41687

Life and work:
Born around 493 B.C. in Agrigentum, Sicily, Empedocles was known most famously as a poet and a pre-Socratic philosopher. Empedocles believed that the universe based on the two opposing forces of love and strife, which combine to form matter and shape the four elements of earth, air, fire, and water. He also believed in a form of reincarnation and that death was a transformation (may have influenced his suicide).

Death:
It's believed that Empedocles threw himself into the Sicilian volcano Mount Etna (new CTB method? Probably not), making this the first recorded suicide in history.

View attachment 41688

Many believed that Empedocles used such an unusual method of death to convince people he had vanished into thin air and became an immortal god (however, the volcano spit out one of his sandals, proving otherwise).
Interesting read thank you for sharing! I laughed so hard at the last part about his sandal being spit back out. For the supposed first recorded suicide he sure set the bar high for the rest of us :))

Reactions: ERASED, sadghost and Nature_is_God
Shinkansen

Shinkansen

life is pain
Jul 14, 2020
I guess burning alive in a volcano is a painful method of suicide.

Reactions: Nature_is_God
S

stillweary

May 15, 2020
Yeah... that seems like a pretty horrible way to go.

Reactions: sadghost and Nature_is_God
VIBRITANNIA

VIBRITANNIA

lelouch. any pronouns. pfp is by pixiv id 3217872.
Aug 10, 2020
interesting... i can't help but wonder what his last thoughts were.

Reactions: sadghost, casctb and Nature_is_God
nerve

nerve

fat cringey shut-in
Jun 19, 2019
I wish he was here to start a Mount Etna Resources Megathread

• Love
Reactions: charlottewilts, LastRide, sadghost and 2 others
Nature_is_God

Nature_is_God

The cause of suffering is the desire to exist
Jul 27, 2020
I wish he was here to start a Mount Etna Resources Megathread

Probably would've said get drunk off of a large quantity of wine (or whatever they called it in Ancient Greece) and cannon ball.

Wayfaerer

Wayfaerer

JFMSUF
Aug 21, 2019
I HIGHLY doubt that actually happened.

RedDEE

RedDEE

Life sucks and then you die.
May 10, 2019
Reactions: Nature_is_God, VIBRITANNIA and BPD Barbie