• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

seho_j

seho_j

Nov 12, 2018
I feel like my psychiatrist is way too positive about everything. Whenever I mention that I had as issue with my symptoms, he just says "yeah, that's very common!" despite it happening since forever and not becoming better.

I'm seriously thinking that I might ask to change my psychiatrist because I'm distressed and it affects my life but the medication always stays the same, no matter what I say. I've been taking the same cocktail of medication for a year now.

Any advice? Should I change doctors? Or should I be more patient with my medication?

moonchild

moonchild

Student
May 8, 2020
Have you told him about this specifically, that you're frustrated about how he dismisses your symptoms and the medication being the same even after so long? If not, I'd probably start there and see what kind of reaction you get. In my experience, sometimes you really have to be overly explicit with what you want for them to get it. Either way, a year is more than enough time to have been patient with it, if you feel the medication doesn't help.

seho_j

seho_j

Nov 12, 2018
Have you told him about this specifically, that you're frustrated about how he dismisses your symptoms and the medication being the same even after so long? If not, I'd probably start there and see what kind of reaction you get. In my experience, sometimes you really have to be overly explicit with what you want for them to get it. Either way, a year is more than enough time to have been patient with it, if you feel the medication doesn't help.
Haha I'm too chicken to criticise him face-to-face. But you're right I should try that before changing doctors.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
you should feel a good chemic between you and your psychiatrist, like a good friendship, if you feel he or she is lacking empathy then probably reconsider changing. I probably had 5 and only this year I found one that I like and I feel he is very caring towards me. I actually look forward to go to his appointments. Him and this site has helped me tremendously. Good luck :hug:

H

Hyperborean

Dec 19, 2020
I feel like my psychiatrist is way too positive about everything. Whenever I mention that I had as issue with my symptoms, he just says "yeah, that's very common!" despite it happening since forever and not becoming better.

I'm seriously thinking that I might ask to change my psychiatrist because I'm distressed and it affects my life but the medication always stays the same, no matter what I say. I've been taking the same cocktail of medication for a year now.

Any advice? Should I change doctors? Or should I be more patient with my medication?
I'd try and speak up a bit more and try and be a bit more confident in voicing your concerns. If they don't listen then change doctors!

Reactions: seho_j and Sherri