DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"Fill your mind with truth; fill your heart with love; fill your life with service."
— Thomas S. Monson

Reactions: Oyoy, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Mud. and 3 others
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours. He will put some things behind, will pass an invisible boundary; new, universal, and more liberal laws will begin to establish themselves around and within him; or the old laws be expanded, and interpreted in his favor in a more liberal sense, and he will live with the license of a higher order of beings."

― Henry David Thoreau, Walden

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Mud., Tristesse and 2 others
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
― Charles Bukowski

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Ruffian, Sanguinius and 3 others
Burbank

Burbank

sleepyhead
Feb 12, 2019
This is a bit of a joke, but still rather true.

''I may be fat, bitch, but you're ugly and i can lose weight'' - Latrice Royale

Reactions: Venessolotic, Sanguinius, Mud. and 4 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
"So chin up eh, back straight, ignore the distractions and deal with the actual facts. You can do it. You've got this."

@ctrl_alt_delete

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, DownInaHole, Mud. and 5 others
Weeping Garbage Can

Weeping Garbage Can

ਕਿਰਪਾ ਕਰਕੇ ਮੈਨੂੰ ਭੁੱਲ ਜਾਓ ❤️
Oct 31, 2018
"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there-on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot.

Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known." -Carl Sagan

• Love
Reactions: stevieu, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Mud. and 4 others
Memento Mori

Memento Mori

shambling garbage
Jan 24, 2019
c518f8221f3e6461f6f59efdcb2e81f3.jpg

Reactions: Sanguinius, Mud., AnnihilatedAnna and 3 others
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"I am always saying "Glad to've met you" to somebody I'm not at all glad I met. If you want to stay alive, you have to say that stuff, though."
― J.D. Salinger, The Catcher in the Rye

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Sanguinius, Mud. and 3 others
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"If you know someone who's depressed, please resolve never to ask them why. Depression isn't a straightforward response to a bad situation; depression just is, like the weather.

Try to understand the blackness, lethargy, hopelessness, and loneliness they're going through. Be there for them when they come through the other side. It's hard to be a friend to someone who's depressed, but it is one of the kindest, noblest, and best things you will ever do."
― Stephen Fry

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Ruffian, memento_mori and 6 others
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"Do you not see how necessary a world of pains and troubles is to school an intelligence and make it a soul?"
― John Keats, Letters of John Keats

Reactions: Oyoy, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can and 3 others
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"It's not all bad. Heightened self-consciousness, apartness, an inability to join in, physical shame and self-loathing—they are not all bad. Those devils have been my angels. Without them I would never have disappeared into language, literature, the mind, laughter and all the mad intensities that made and unmade me."
― Stephen Fry, Moab Is My Washpot

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can, Mud. and 2 others
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"Perfume was first created to mask the stench of foul and offensive odors...
Spices and bold flavorings were created to mask the taste of putrid and rotting meat...
What then was music created for?
Was it to drown out the voices of others, or the voices within ourselves?
I think I know."
― Emilie Autumn, The Asylum for Wayward Victorian Girls

Reactions: Venessolotic, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can and 2 others
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"Imagine a society that subjects people to conditions that make them terribly unhappy then gives them the drugs to take away their unhappiness. Science fiction It is already happening to some extent in our own society. Instead of removing the conditions that make people depressed modern society gives them antidepressant drugs. In effect antidepressants are a means of modifying an individual's internal state in such a way as to enable him to tolerate social conditions that he would otherwise find intolerable."
― Theodore Kaczynski

Reactions: Venessolotic, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Meretlein and 2 others
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"I have had to experience so much stupidity, so many vices, so much error, so much nausea, disillusionment and sorrow, just in order to become a child again and begin anew. I had to experience despair, I had to sink to the greatest mental depths, to thoughts of suicide, in order to experience grace."
― Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha

Reactions: Oyoy, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can and 1 other person
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"The pupil dilates in darkness and in the end finds light, just as the soul dilates in misfortune and in the end finds God."
― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"Mental illness is so much more complicated than any pill that any mortal could invent "
― Elizabeth Wurtzel, Prozac Nation

Reactions: Venessolotic, Oyoy, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"If they tell you that she died of sleeping pills you must know that she died of a wasting grief, of a slow bleeding at the soul."
― Clifford Odets

Reactions: Venessolotic, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, TreatmentDidntWork and 2 others
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"It is important not to suppress your feelings altogether when you are depressed. It is equally important to avoid terrible arguments or expressions of outrage. You should steer clear of emotionally damaging behavior. People forgive, but it is best not to stir things up to the point at which forgiveness is required. When you are depressed, you need the love of other people, and yet depression fosters actions that destroy that love. Depressed people often stick pins into their own life rafts. The conscious mind can intervene. One is not helpless."
― Andrew Solomon, The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Ruffian, Weeping Garbage Can and 1 other person
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"Crying is one of the highest devotional songs. One who knows crying, knows spiritual practice. If you can cry with a pure heart, nothing else compares to such a prayer. Crying includes all the principles of Yoga."
― Kripalvanandji

Reactions: Venessolotic, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Ruffian and 2 others
goxua

goxua

Student
Jan 28, 2019
"The glacier knocks in the cupboard,
The desert sighs in the bed,
And the crack in the tea-cup opens
A lane to the land of the dead."

- W. H Auden, from "As I Walked Out One Evening"

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can and Mud.
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"Those with a grateful mindset tend to see the message in the mess. And even though life may knock them down, the grateful find reasons, if even small ones, to get up."
― Steve Maraboli, Life, the Truth, and Being Free

DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize."

[Modernism's Patriarch (Time Magazine, June 10, 1996)]"
― Robert Hughes

DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"I wonder if that's how darkness wins, by convincing us to trap it inside ourselves, instead of emptying it out.
I don't want it to win."
― Jasmine Warga, My Heart and Other Black Holes

DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"...the heart has no tears to give,--it drops only blood, bleeding itself away in silence."
― Harriet Beecher Stowe, Uncle Tom's Cabin

goxua

goxua

Student
Jan 28, 2019
"Rock on gold dust woman
Take your silver spoon
Dig your grave..."

Fleetwood Mac, from "Gold Dust Woman"

My method, a fit full of H and possibly coke in the vein.

Reactions: Weeping Garbage Can, Mud. and DownInaHole
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"It's so hard to forget pain, but it's even harder to remember sweetness. We have no scar to show for happiness. We learn so little from peace."
― Chuck Palahniuk, Diary

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can, Mud. and 1 other person
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019

"Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony."
― Mahatma Gandhi

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can, Mud. and 2 others
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019

"Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears."
― John Lennon

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Weeping Garbage Can, Mud. and 1 other person
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world."
― J.R.R. Tolkien

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Manaaja, Weeping Garbage Can and 1 other person
DownInaHole

DownInaHole

Not so wise
Jan 4, 2019
"They say a person needs just three things to be truly happy in this world: someone to love, something to do, and something to hope for."
― Tom Bodett

Reactions: Oyoy, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, memento_mori and 4 others