sif

sif

You deserve love
Dec 28, 2018
The so-called 'psychotically depressed' person who tries to kill herself doesn't do so out of quote 'hopelessness' or any abstract conviction that life's assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire's flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It's not desiring the fall; it's terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling 'Don't!' and 'Hang on!', can understand the jump. Not really. You'd have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.

from David Foster Wallace

Reactions: famblycat, Ruffian, Amber1974 and 16 others
sif

sif

You deserve love
Dec 28, 2018
Reactions: Dead Meat, DeadlyLiving, Aesthler and 5 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
"One act of kindness is more powerful than a thousand acts of spite."

Matshona Dhliwayo

Reactions: Oyoy, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Dead Meat and 11 others
Whatshername

Whatshername

That Ghost Lady on the Hill
Dec 14, 2018
Nothing can be loved or hated unless it is first understood.

Leonardo da Vinci

Reactions: Oyoy, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, ririka and 6 others
locusdelicti

locusdelicti

Jan 6, 2019
"Champagne for my real friends, and real pain for my sham friends."

Reactions: Oyoy, Wayfaerer, wxtyubidi7y and 9 others
RyanSuicide

RyanSuicide

Student
Jan 7, 2019
In a fleshy tomb I am buried above ground.

William Cowper

Reactions: Venessolotic, Oyoy, Wayfaerer and 9 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
"Bitter people always want to show you their bitter side in different forms, sometimes gently and sometimes bitterly, as if that is your bitter side, but always remain positive with understanding!"

Ernest Agyemang Yeboah

Reactions: Oyoy, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Dead Meat and 8 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
"Freedom of Speech doesn't justify online bullying. Words have power, be careful how you use them."

Germany Kent

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Dead Meat, Deleted member 4993 and 8 others
Mud.

Mud.

Arcanist
Oct 27, 2018
"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity."

-Abraham Lincoln.

• Love
Reactions: Venessolotic, Oyoy, Wayfaerer and 15 others
Mud.

Mud.

Arcanist
Oct 27, 2018
"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."

Norman Cousins
That is so true. Beautiful quote.

Reactions: Wayfaerer, Deleted member 4993, DeadlyLiving and 5 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
"Life and death are but phases of the same thing, the reverse and obverse of the same coin. Death is as necessary for man's growth as life itself."

Mahatma Gandhi

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Daigoro’sDisciple, Dead Meat and 11 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
"No one heals himself by wounding another"

St Ambrose

• Love
Reactions: Oyoy, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Daigoro’sDisciple and 12 others
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
Honest hearts are undercover we are shadows on our own
Trapt

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Dead Meat, Deleted member 4993 and 7 others
WayOut

WayOut

Experienced
Oct 26, 2018
Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die.

Mel Brooks

• Love
Reactions: Oyoy, Ruffian, Deleted member 4993 and 11 others
W

wxtyubidi7y

Student
Jun 30, 2018
"The best thing which eternal law ever ordained was that it allowed to us one entrance into life, but many exits. Must I await the cruelty either of disease or of man, when I can depart through the midst of torture, and shake off my troubles?...Live, if you so desire; if not, you may return to the place whence you came."

Seneca the Younger

Reactions: Ruffian, ririka, Mud. and 13 others
D

Dragon

Dec 7, 2018
"I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats." -Vanilla Sky

Reactions: Ruffian, ririka, Mud. and 7 others
K

kkatt

Paragon
Nov 12, 2018
Never say never again

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Mud., Weeping Garbage Can and 2 others
Redt2go

Redt2go

flower child
Jan 5, 2019
It's never over until life ends ~Daniel Ceasar

Last edited:
Reactions: Venessolotic, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Mud. and 3 others
Vilthuril

Vilthuril

μελετῶντες ἀποθνῄσκειν
Jan 16, 2019
"I've lived so little that I tend to imagine I'm not going to die; it seems improbable that human existence can be reduced to so little; one imagines, in spite of oneself, that sooner or later something is bound to happen. A big mistake. A life can just as well be both empty and short. The days slip by indifferently, leaving neither trace nor memory; and then all of a sudden they stop." ― Michel Houellebecq

"Life seems to be a black and white silent movie about nothing, flickering silently on film superimposed onto the retinas of my eyes. The movie is almost over." ― Suicide note found in Aokigahara forest, 2007

"Human nature has its limits. It is able to endure a certain degree of joy, sorrow, and pain, but becomes annihilated as soon as this measure is exceeded. The question, therefore, is, not whether a man is strong or weak, but whether he is able to endure the measure of his sufferings. The suffering may be moral or physical; and in my opinion it is just as absurd to call a man a coward who destroys himself, as to call a man a coward who dies of a malignant fever." ― Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Last edited:
Reactions: Venessolotic, Ruffian, Mud. and 7 others
therhydler

therhydler

Enlightened
Dec 7, 2018
If you put butter and salt on it, it tastes like salty butter.
-Terry Pratchett

Reactions: Oyoy, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Mort and 11 others
Vilthuril

Vilthuril

μελετῶντες ἀποθνῄσκειν
Jan 16, 2019
"To choose a hardship for ourselves is our only defense against that hardship. This is what is meant by accepting suffering. Those who, by their very nature, can suffer completely, utterly, have an advantage. That is how we can disarm the power of suffering, make it our own creation, our own choice; submit to it. A justification for suicide." ― Cesare Pavese

"One does not kill oneself for love of a woman, but because love—any love—reveals us in our nakedness, our misery, our vulnerability, our nothingness." ― Cesare Pavese

"Why does a man who is truly in love insist that this relationship must continue and be "lifelong"? Because life is pain and the enjoyment of love is an anesthetic. Who would want to wake up halfway through an operation?" ― Cesare Pavese

"Suffering is by no means a privilege, a sign of nobility, a reminder of God. Suffering is a fierce, bestial thing, commonplace, uncalled for, natural as air. It is intangible; no one can grasp it or fight against it; it dwells in time / is the same thing as time; if it comes in fits and starts, that is only so as to leave the sufferer more defenseless during the moments that follow, those long moments when one relives the last bout of torture and waits for the next." ― Cesare Pavese

Reactions: Mud., Armadillo, Weeping Garbage Can and 6 others
Hopeless_soul

Hopeless_soul

Soon
Jan 3, 2019
"It is remarkable how a man cannot summarize his thoughts in even the most general sort of way without betraying himself completely, without putting his whole self into it, quite unawares, presenting as if in allegory the basic themes and problems of his life."

The Magic Mountain.-Thomas Mann.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Mud., Weeping Garbage Can and 5 others
T

Taylored

I've figured it out
Sep 20, 2018
"What the devil is the point of surviving, going on living, when it's a drag? But you see, that's what people do." --Alan Watts

Reactions: Venessolotic, Ruffian, Armadillo and 8 others
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
I gave up love and happiness a long time ago.

Richard Ramirez

Reactions: Venessolotic, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Dead Meat and 8 others
Deafsn0w

Deafsn0w

I will buy you a dog if you like my posts
Sep 4, 2018
"They're robots looking for information on how to end their robot lives."

-El Topo

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/so-what-are-the-robots-for.419/

Reactions: Oyoy, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, color_me_gone and 7 others
ParamitePie

ParamitePie

Experienced
Oct 11, 2018
"The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." - John Milton, Paradise Lost

I've used that quote to try and describe the effects of Depression in the past. To some people, it doesn't matter how bad things are, because they can still find a way to be happy, but the inverse is also true.

Reactions: Ruffian, ririka, Deleted member 4993 and 9 others
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
"If you can't be a good example, At least be a horrible warning." – Aileen Wuornos

• Love
Reactions: Oyoy, Wayfaerer, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 14 others
Ldog9

Ldog9

Student
Jan 12, 2019
Not particularly original on a suicide board... but Sylvia Plath:

"I saw my life branching out before me like the green fig tree in the story. From the tip of every branch, like a fat purple fig, a wonderful future beckoned and winked. One fig was a husband and a happy home and children, and another fig was a famous poet and another fig was a brilliant professor, and another fig was Ee Gee, the amazing editor, and another fig was Europe and Africa and South America, and another fig was Constantin and Socrates and Attila and a pack of other lovers with queer names and offbeat professions, and another fig was an Olympic lady crew champion, and beyond and above these figs were many more figs I couldn't quite make out. I saw myself sitting in the crotch of this fig tree, starving to death, just because I couldn't make up my mind which of the figs I would choose. I wanted each and every one of them, but choosing one meant losing all the rest, and, as I sat there, unable to decide, the figs began to wrinkle and go black, and, one by one, they plopped to the ground at my feet."

Always like this John Steinbeck quote as well:

"Time interval is a strange and contradictory matter in the mind. It would be reasonable to suppose that a routine time or an eventless time would seem interminable. It should be so, but it is not. It is the dull eventless times that have no duration whatever. A time splashed with interest, wounded with tragedy, crevassed with joy - that's the time that seems long in the memory. And this is right when you think about it. Eventlessness has no posts to drape duration on. From nothing to nothing is no time at all."

Reactions: Ruffian, Deleted member 4993, Weeping Garbage Can and 6 others