RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
So, I have posted several threads debunking the SN hysteria in the past[1][2]. It sadly happens that the media hypes up and overestimates how many people use SN as a popular method to end their own life when in reality it is more an obscure niche method than anything else. And the same thing has been happening in the UK too, for example the BBC has made several articles in 2023 and 2024 about this forum and how SN as a suicide method has a high death toll.

Here are some snippets of some of those articles, which mainly focus on SN as the big problem.

(Source)

(Source)

So I thought I'd check if SN suicides have increased in the UK. Luckily, methodology of suicides are recorded, documented and publicly accessable in the UK. I marked the line that depics poisoning suicides in the graph below:

(source)

There has been no increase in suicide poisoning in the UK. Well, I guess that answers the question as to how big of an issue SN really is. It once again proves what I've been saying so many times over the years. SaSu as a forum doesn't increase suicide numbers but it changes methodology of suicides, it changes how people chose to exercise their right to die.

If you look deeper into the avaiable data, you will also realize that both the decrease in poisoning suicides and the increase in hanging suicides started before SaSu existed, in fac this trend apparently started before the year 2000.

(Source, file download link)

So not only does SaSu not increase poisoning suicides, the increasing trend in hanging suicides has been going on for decades. So it seems that something has been happening in the UK for the past few decades that has resulted in an increasing suicide number.

In fact the suicide rate seems to have stagnated and eventually increased since 2007. Which again, only further proves that talking about this forum does not solve any suicide-related problems in your society. Something is rotten in the UK and maybe you should address that first before you turn your head to a tiny niche forum and even worse, advertise a niche suicide method to British people in the mainstream media because that's what the BBC did when they talked about SN and also demonstrated it's efficiency in killing people with a lab test for example. Just some advice from someone who doesn't live in the UK. Again, if people want to commit suicide in your country, there is ususally a systemic cause for this problem. And if you really think the Online Safety Bill will reverse the increase of suicides you're mistaken. It's a bandaid fix to crack down on the symptons of a society that's not doing so well and ignores the causes of suicidal behavior. And again, if I look how the UK is doing right now, I'm not surprised people are ending their lives and trying to escape that shithole. The political establishment, the media and anti-SaSu activists on Twitter do not understand this and I don't have any hope that anything is going to change in the foreseeable future because as long as you don't see suicide as a problem that's connected to the state of your society and not as a probem in a vaccum that's fueled by a tiny niche forum like ours, you will never learn your lesson. But to make it very simple for the dumb BBC journalists out there who keep covering our forum: if people are living good lifes, they don't think about suicide and SaSu does not change that, okay. If people commit suicide and there is a trend of an increase in suicides, it means people don't live good lives and you actually change that not by dictating what people are allowed to say online with stupid ideas like the Online Safety Bill but with actual left-wing policies that improve people's quality of lives. Crazy idea, am I right. It's actually more likely the UK will ban rope next than politicans in the UK ever listening to the struggles of their people

But hey, keep running circles around this forum, definitely not wasted time and energy.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: LifeQuitter, these_days9, Plato'sCaveDweller and 17 others
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
  • Yay!
  • Love
Reactions: mango-meridian, Plato'sCaveDweller, Fangarina and 11 others
Demi-Fiend

Demi-Fiend

Places We Never Went Together
Aug 12, 2024
Oi, you got loicence for that rope?

In all seriousness, these trends of massive-hysteria are all but so tiresome.

Reactions: Plato'sCaveDweller and astr4
Praying 4 a Miracle

Praying 4 a Miracle

Student
Sep 22, 2024
There does seem to be a lot of people using SN these days!

It's probably the closest thing to Nembutal that is even remotely accessible to people, although I don't believe they're very similar at all.

Last edited:
S

SVEN

Enlightened
Apr 3, 2023
And, as a UK resident, it's already obvious that our new national government is shaping up to be very controlling and intrusive as far as personal liberties are concerned.

Reactions: Plato'sCaveDweller, RainAndSadness and Praying 4 a Miracle
SilentSadness

SilentSadness

Vultures circle overhead
Feb 28, 2023
I wonder if I have time to wait until my obligations are over, or whether things like SN will really be inaccessible at that point. There aren't guns or skyscrapers here, and hanging seems too unreliable, but rope will probably be banned anyway.

Reactions: Plato'sCaveDweller and RainAndSadness
A

athiestjoe

Passenger
Sep 24, 2024
The BBC continues to prioritize generating clicks over substantive journalism, resorting to sensational and exaggerated "news" that cater to sensationalism rather than factual reporting. This trend reflects a broader issue within the media landscape, where outlets are more focused on attracting attention than on delivering thorough and impartial news coverage. Unfortunately, this phenomenon is not unique to the BBC and affects pretty much all contemporary journalism.

They could start taking their own suggestions and start rethinking their lazy 'reporting':

maxresdefault.jpg

It's no wonder they are 1-Star!
company-rating

Thank you, Rain, for your relentless dedication and for providing the facts and figures that illuminate the truth of the situation! Your hard work is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Plato'sCaveDweller
mango-meridian

mango-meridian

Apr 5, 2024
I learned about SaSu from the New York Times article. If the dummies were smart they'd keep their mouths shut.