N

NCBEYOND

Apr 13, 2019
Hi all,

I've read that the helium should be set to 15lpm. I am however struggling to find a flow fitter that ensures this and I have purchased a regulator. (Pic attached) Though the regulator is in PSI which I believe doesn't equate to lpm.
It also has a tilt valve which is inconvenient but will tie down with string.

Looking to see if anyone has any advice on this and how you'd set the tank to 15 lpm?

Thank you all!

Attachments

• 970C91C8-BB7A-46E5-9586-F7A779DB0C76.png
    970C91C8-BB7A-46E5-9586-F7A779DB0C76.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 15
Superfluous

Superfluous

Mar 16, 2019
You can't really convert psi to lpm. You will need a flow meter.

I did a quick search for "gas flow meter buy", and found this entry on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Argon-CO2-...or-For-Gas-Welding-Weld-Machine-/201116290880

You will need to check if the fittings are correct for your tank, but it covers the required range (10-60 SCFH [cubic feet per hour] which converts to 4.7 - 28 lpm). I think this would work, but I'm no expert so if anyone can confirm/deny it's suitability, please feel free to post.

Edit: You may already be aware, but most now recommend using nitrogen over helium as some helium suppliers are now mixing with up to 20% air (PPeH 2019 states that the largest supplier, Worthingtons, have been doing this since 2015).

Last edited:
N

NCBEYOND

Apr 13, 2019
A
You can't really convert psi to lpm. You will need a flow meter.

I did a quick search for "gas flow meter buy", and found this entry on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Argon-CO2-...or-For-Gas-Welding-Weld-Machine-/201116290880

You will need to check if the fittings are correct for your tank, but it covers the required range (10-60 SCFH [cubic feet per hour] which converts to 4.7 - 28 lpm). I think this would work, but I'm no expert so if anyone can confirm/deny it's suitability, please feel free to post.

Edit: You may already be aware, but most now recommend using nitrogen over helium as some helium suppliers are now mixing with up to 20% air (PPeH 2019 states that the largest supplier, Worthingtons, have been doing this since 2015).

Thank you, just looked on eBay and bought one that should fit ok will see how it goes thank you for that! And yeah I've seen regarding nitrogen, I have struggled to get hold of some there isn't really any welding type shops near me to be honest. The tank I've got is declared as pure helium so hopefully all will be well. Thank you very much.

Reactions: Superfluous
T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
is medical grade N2 required to CTB?
No. Medical/laboratory grade N2 is ideal, of course, being guaranteed 100% pure, but it tends to be frightfully expensive (my ex was a scientist who worked with it). Welding/industrial grade N2 --which runs in the 99.something% pure range-- should be adequate, since any air contamination would make the N2 unuseable as a shielding gas for welding or for food preservation. My tank of welding N2 was adequate to make my vision grey out before survival instinct foiled my attempts.

Be cautious about using brewery-supply N2. I have come across at least one reference to some brewery suppliers adulterating their N2.

Reactions: Superfluous, James28if and HelensNepenthe