• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

J

Jojogu

Feb 2, 2021
c36c0ac53b446854a208d107f2ba03057404c9c5-16x9-x0y0w2000h1125.png

A euthanasia advocate has spoken out following the death of Lily Thai, a young woman who used South Australia's voluntary assisted dying program after living in excruciating pain.

The 23-year-old was terminally ill after having been diagnosed with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome (EDS) and then an autoimmune disease.

She "passed away peacefully" last week, according to a funeral notice published in The Advertiser.

Thai was able to end her life after voluntary assisted dying laws were legalised in South Australia in January.

Dr Philip Nitschke, a euthanasia advocate who was previously based in Adelaide, told The Advertiser he hoped Thai's case would "strengthen support for the law".

"The SA laws, they are functioning, as evidenced by Lily and I think most people will be pleased such legislation was in place so she could be helped," he said.

"I note that of the 12 or so who have used the legislation, they had terminal cancer or degenerative neurological diseases, and in all these cases it's hard to find anyone who would not approve of the SA law."

Nitschke added that since the new law had been introduced, many older people still believed that they should be able to decide whether to end their lives, and that the decision should "not be controlled by restrictive legislative process".

"We know this from the numbers of elderly that attended our Adelaide workshop when I was there a few months back," he said.

"And many elderly will continue to seek and occasionally use their own lethal drugs, or plan a final trip to Switzerland, the one place in the world where receiving any assistance is not controlled by the medical profession."

Thai was diagnosed at age 17 with EDS, a genetic condition where the sufferer's joints become very loose and their skin fragile. As a result the condition constantly puts patients at risk of severe injury.

A year later, she lost her ability to walk, use her bowels, eat and drink without becoming sick.

She found out she also had an autoimmune disease known as Autoimmune autonomic ganglionopathy, and that her organs were failing.

"It's gotten to the place that I've lost control of everything else in my life, and I've been reliant on my dad as a caregiver to do everything for me, even the most intimate things," she previously told The Advertiser.

"It's now my time to choose what is right for me. I've been given a choice, and that is to die peacefully.

Before her death, Thai had been spending her final days at Flinders Medical Centre's Laurel Hospice.

Medical practitioners administered a fast-acting IV medication on Wednesday afternoon.

A funeral for Thai will be held at Centennial Park Cemetery on Thursday morning.

7NEWS

nyee

nyee

Jun 10, 2023
Poor girl.

I just can't see how a pro-lifer can see people like this and think it's fine to keep them shackled no matter the cost. Spending your life reliant on others and not being able to do even the most basic daily functions.

>Nitschke added that since the new law had been introduced, many older people still believed that they should be able to decide whether to end their lives, and that the decision should "not be controlled by restrictive legislative process".

How can people that have zero relevancy to us, whether we live or die, have a say in what we decide to do with our lives? I truly hope the future becomes more humane especially towards our rights, but right now it looks bleak.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
It's so horrible how it's not even legal at all where I live for anyone, I hate this anti-suicide society, we are all going to die anyway so it's compassionate to let people decide when that will be in a peaceful way.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
What a beautiful smile she had. I'm so relieved to know she is at peace now. How can we call ourselves a caring society and let people suffer indefinitely like that? It's disgusting. I'm glad she got her wish. I'm glad that her Dad undoubtably got to say goodbye to her properly and presumably could be with her when she departed this life.

looking_for_peace

looking_for_peace

-
Dec 4, 2022
I just can't see how a pro-lifer can see people like this and think it's fine to keep them shackled no matter the cost. Spending your life reliant on others and not being able to do even the most basic daily functions.
They don't understand, and more tragically, they don't want to understand. Spouting "death = bad!! just remain hopeful!!1" gives them a convenient way to dismiss the problem altogether while maintaining a false sense of moral righteousness.

todiefor

todiefor

I hope I made some +ve difference in ppl’s lives
Jun 24, 2023
Poor girl.

>Nitschke added that since the new law had been introduced, many older people still believed that they should be able to decide whether to end their lives, and that the decision should "not be controlled by restrictive legislative process".

How can people that have zero relevancy to us, whether we live or die, have a say in what we decide to do with our lives? I truly hope the future becomes more humane especially towards our rights, but right now it looks bleak.
I hope she went peacefully, sounds like she had it really tough.

I wonder what the review process is like, sounds like it's legislated to be only for very restricted circumstances so that there isn't a lot of judgement involved for individual cases, very purposely done to not include the elderly? I wonder if it's just a bunch of ticked boxes, whether they treat you as an individual at all to find out your feelings about your every day circumstances and whether that matter at all. But it's a start. It's a start in recognising a peaceful death can be a legal and correct choice individuals can make, but it isn't a start in recognising that people can make those choices themselves based on their individual circumstances and just they had a right to their own bodies, it's still very much, I guess we will let you have a choice but only in the very limited situations that society and law can allow, see if u fit into these tick boxes.

Sweet Tart

Sweet Tart

Arcanist
May 10, 2023
I hope she went peacefully, sounds like she had it really tough.

I wonder what the review process is like, sounds like it's legislated to be only for very restricted circumstances so that there isn't a lot of judgement involved for individual cases, very purposely done to not include the elderly? I wonder if it's just a bunch of ticked boxes, whether they treat you as an individual at all to find out your feelings about your every day circumstances and whether that matter at all. But it's a start. It's a start in recognising a peaceful death can be a legal and correct choice individuals can make, but it isn't a start in recognising that people can make those choices themselves based on their individual circumstances and just they had a right to their own bodies, it's still very much, I guess we will let you have a choice but only in the very limited situations that society and law can allow, see if u fit into these tick boxes.
I did a quick search on the law in South Australia after reading, and it seems you have to be terminally ill with 6 months-1 year to live in order to qualify. It is an important thing for people like this woman in the article, but wouldn't have any bearing on my life and death if I lived there, unfortunately. Please correct me if this is inaccurate.

The anhedonic one

The anhedonic one

Dead inside
May 20, 2023
She looks so happy, I'm glad She's at peace now.
These pro-lifers are sadistic assholes who want to keep us here out of sheer selfishness.
Yet they wouldn't have a problem with putting a sick animal out of its misery.

D

Deathisbetter

-
Jun 3, 2023
True what you said is accurate as I live here I know it's a step in the right direction I was at the parliament house with one of the signs to legalise it before it got legalised which I'm glad it did.

I still wish it was allowed for people like me with my autism and mental issues I hope eventually it can be like the Netherlands or Belgium or Switzerland where you don't need to be terminally ill I hate that if I want a dignified death guess I have to go overseas.
I did a quick search on the law in South Australia after reading, and it seems you have to be terminally ill with 6 months-1 year to live in order to qualify. It is an important thing for people like this woman in the article, but wouldn't have any bearing on my life and death if I lived there, unfortunately. Please correct me if this is inaccurate.
She looks so happy, I'm glad She's at peace now.
These pro-lifers are sadistic assholes who want to keep us here out of sheer selfishness.
Yet they wouldn't have a problem with putting a sick animal out of its misery.
Exactly 💯 it's fucked

todiefor

todiefor

I hope I made some +ve difference in ppl’s lives
Jun 24, 2023
Is there anywhere in the world right now you can legally get a peaceful death without a terminal disease that is physical? What are the mental suffering requirements to be deemed sufficient?
Is there anywhere in the world right now you can legally get a peaceful death without a terminal disease that is physical? What are the mental suffering requirements to be deemed sufficient?
Hm sounds like Canada, Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg. They do allow physical as well as mental, so is open for psychiatric and some have been successful.

Last edited: