F

faraway_beach

Seawater and stardust
Dec 30, 2019
Since I have not been able to browse bookstores during the pandemic, I've been accumulating reading material on the computer, in a variety of formats: Kindle for PC, Calibre for .epub, and .pdf. It's a nuisance having to stay up at the desk to read them, though. When I'm not feeling well, I'd like to lie down and read something handheld (and preferably lightweight!). Is there a device that can handle all three formats?

Reactions: Tragoedia Vitae
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Don't know, but my old Kindle could read pdfs. Any tablet may have a good chance of reading all three plus you have all the other tablet goodies. I picked up an ancient nexus 7 on the web for 40 odd quid. Can read my Kindle books and pdfs, not sure about epub. Downside of that is ofc battery life and it's not e-ink, but you can darken the screen.

F

faraway_beach

Seawater and stardust
Dec 30, 2019
Thanks for the info, that helps!

Reactions: Deleted member 1465
F

faraway_beach

Seawater and stardust
Dec 30, 2019
Upon investigation, I found out that I can use the Calibre reader program I already have to convert formats! So even the Kindle itself could read anything in my collection. Or, for media diversity, I could still opt for a tablet. It looks like I can get this one for about the same price as a basic Kindle, or I can spring for the Kindle Paperwhite and get a sharper screen for books only.

• Love
Reactions: Tragoedia Vitae and Matthias_k
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Cool. Your call. Depends how much you read cf other stuff I guess. The e-ink is better for your eyes and sleep if you read before bed, but if it's only occasional and you still want the multimedia etc then the Kindle app on Android is pretty cool, but ofc you'll have to charge the tablet every day.

F

faraway_beach

Seawater and stardust
Dec 30, 2019
better for your eyes
Ugh, looks like I have to give Bezos money and spring for the Kindle. Thanks for keeping me company in my indecision.

Reactions: Tragoedia Vitae and Deleted member 1465
M

Matthias_k

Apr 18, 2020
I have a Kobo 8", a bit pricey but it's worth it. Better than a real book. My first eReader was a Kindle 6" but I soon realized that it was too small for long reading sessions. Maybe give it a try first, most public libraries lend eReaders.

Reactions: Tragoedia Vitae and faraway_beach
F

faraway_beach

Seawater and stardust
Dec 30, 2019
I have a Kobo 8", a bit pricey but it's worth it. Better than a real book. My first eReader was a Kindle 6" but I soon realized that it was too small for long reading sessions. Maybe give it a try first, most public libraries lend eReaders.
Thanks for the info! I've already ordered a refurbished older model kindle paperwhite, but if the Kobo is pricey, I likely would not have ordered it anyway. It's a very good idea to borrow one first, I wish I'd thought of that.

S

Shakespear's Brother

Sep 10, 2019
I've already ordered a refurbished older model kindle paperwhite
Hope it works out well for you. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts about it, have been considering a refurb paperwhite myself as I am in similar circumstances with my reading.Thanks

Tragoedia Vitae

Tragoedia Vitae

Experienced
Oct 14, 2018
Upon investigation, I found out that I can use the Calibre reader program I already have to convert formats! So even the Kindle itself could read anything in my collection. Or, for media diversity, I could still opt for a tablet. It looks like I can get this one for about the same price as a basic Kindle, or I can spring for the Kindle Paperwhite and get a sharper screen for books only.
Hey there! This is exactly what I do and I have a 7th generation Kindle Paperwhite. I got it for like $50 used. I usually find and download books online in a variety of formats (epub, PDF, etc ) and use Calibre to convert them to MOBI. I can even use Calibre to send books directly to my Kindle. My Kindle doesn't always handle books which were originally PDFs well but it's been a mostly satisfactory experience so far. And I only charge my Kindle once every 2-3 weeks or so.

I prefer reading on my Kindle by far...reading on my tablet strains my eyes and my Kindle has e-ink which makes reading much less tiring for my eyes. And now color e-ink e-readers are becoming a thing....I can't wait!

Reactions: faraway_beach, Shakespear's Brother and Matthias_k
F

faraway_beach

Seawater and stardust
Dec 30, 2019
@Tragoedia Vitae @Shakespear's Brother thanks for the comments!

Mine turns out to be a 7th gen Paperwhite also! (You have no idea how much I keep wanting to write paperweight instead.) It just arrived this morning, and after a little hiccup setting up wifi so I could register it, I've been converting and transferring a few different test files. I have not sat down to read anything at length yet.

I'm not sure I like it yet. It's heavier than a paperback. I bought a case for it with a strap on the back so I don't have to clutch it, but I can't easily operate it one-handed. At the default font size, it displays less on one page than a print book does, which I think is interfering with my grasp of the flow of the text. But it's an old habit of mine to concentrate on the negatives of a new experience first.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shakespear's Brother