N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I don't want to accuse anyone. Honestly I could not name any suspect.

But I think this is a stereotype about suicide forums. Though I am not sure whether it is true and to what an extent. I had to think about it because my therapist once warned me. He said there would be people like that in those forums.

I honestly don't get why people would like to do something like that. I imagine the following scenario. Someone pretends he has cancer or horrible mental conditions and a nightmarish past. However this is not true. But what does he get in exchange for that? People feel sorry for him because he/she has such a tough life. But his whole persona is just fake. This is why all the empathy is only shallow and not really valuable because it is for a fictional person.

I don't get those people (in case they exist). What do you think is this really a problem? What do you think about my line of argumentation?

• Informative
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, waitingforrest, ColorlessTrees and 2 others
Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
This obviously isn't healthy for anyone who does it. Probably they do have problems that would be good to address if they resort to this kind of behavior, even if they're not quite as severe as the fake ones. And those real problems will end up being looked over or ignored entirely. So they're really only harming themselves and pushing away an opportunity to improve themselves by working on this false persona side-project. Maybe it's a subconscious way of putting off recovery because the work they really need to do is too hard?

Alternatively, some people are just morbidly curious about these kinds of places. I imagine there must be a few pure voyeurists on here who just want to watch how the guinea pigs react to certain stimuli.

Reactions: DunnoWhyButYeah, waitingforrest, NSA and 8 others
Lebensunwertes

Lebensunwertes

Du bist auf dich allein gestellt
May 26, 2022
This obviously isn't healthy for anyone who does it. Probably they do have problems that would be good to address if they resort to this kind of behavior, even if they're not quite as severe as the fake ones. And those real problems will end up being looked over or ignored entirely. So they're really only harming themselves and pushing away an opportunity to improve themselves by working on this false persona side-project. Maybe it's a subconscious way of putting off recovery because the work they really need to do is too hard?

Alternatively, some people are just morbidly curious about these kinds of places. I imagine there must be a few pure voyeurists on here who just want to watch how the guinea pigs react to certain stimuli.
Pretty much this. There are many ways individuals seek for dopamine boosts in form of attention. The immense grow of social media over the past decade serves as the best example.

The second part of this post is important too. I think a chunk of people is simply fascinated by the theme of suicide whether it be psychological aspects of it or simply the methods.

• Informative
Reactions: chocolatebar, waitingforrest, wljourney and 5 others
onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable šŸ’” Rest in peace CommitSudoku šŸ¤
Mar 11, 2022
I also agree. And it's sad that people get to that point. Still, I think that most of the people and stories that appear here are true because some are so detailed that I think it's pretty hard to be invented. Or I just prefer to belive like that.

Reactions: cyanol, Passersby, Hirokami and 1 other person
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I think a healthy amount of lying and deception is necessary to prevent oneself from getting doxxed or found out, but I think even if somebody was fabricating a sob story for themselves purely for attention then as long as they aren't bothering anyone else, who cares? What's so wrong with just wanting attention? Better that someone just wants some eyes on their thoughts for once than for them to actually be trying to scam others, to spy for the organizations trying to bring this site down, or straight up manipulate members into revealing their identities for blackmail purposes.

Reactions: cyanol, waitingforrest, NSA and 5 others
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
I don't think there are many like these. If you're here for some time you must have some self-loathing or desperate situation going on. It depends on what you consider fakery. I've never actually planned to kill myself but I'm drawn to the site, so it's just a point in the spectrum of suicidality.

For me suicidal thoughts and eventually if I don't succeed suicidal plans are just the end point of years of frustration and desperation. It's a complete failure (including the immense damage done to my family) and I'm still grasping for other options.

• Hugs
Reactions: Nolan96, Anxieyote, waitingforrest and 6 others
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
Sounds like you are describing Munchausen Syndrome. I have known people to have fake personas on internet forums - I first saw it over 20 years ago when the very concept of internet forums was somewhat novel. The odds are that this would happen in a minority of people here, but is probably not worth focusing on. I'd rather believe a few fakes than carry a constant paranoia and distrust of others in genuine distress.

Reactions: wait.what, cyanol, markimobzzdeasui and 4 others
CTBgenuine

CTBgenuine

Student
Mar 27, 2022
YES! Many of the people here are this wayI.
It's why I mostly keep to myself and have a love/hate relationship with this place

WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
If you're going to hang on to the belief that some people are faking, then you should provide evidence of such. Otherwise you may be invalidating some people's problems (which is against the rules). Better yet if you're going to claim someone is lying, why not just name drop them?

Reactions: Hirokami
CTBgenuine

CTBgenuine

Student
Mar 27, 2022
If you're going to hang on to the belief that some people are faking, then you should provide evidence of such. Otherwise you may be invalidating some people's problems (which is against the rules). Better yet if you're going to claim someone is lying, why not just name drop them?
They were trying to get their point across while sitting on the fence because people will react negatively to this opinion

WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
They were trying to get their point across while sitting on the fence because people will react negatively to this opinion
I guess I just find it bothersome. I was already accused of being a "DA" or whatever on another thread just because of my post count...

I guess I can take back my post on here. I don't think it's wrong for people to seek attention on this site so long as they have actual problems they go through. Probably been said earlier, but in a way we are all looking for some degree of it be it for someone to relate to us. I just find it unlikely that someone is bored enough to troll on this site for no reason.

Reactions: Hirokami
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
There might well be, but I can't objectively assess whether someone's lying about their suffering, so speculating is of little use. What bothers me more is users attacking others and calling them names, and then over-empathying towards other users in different threads right away. At least that's fakery I can easily see through.

• Informative
Reactions: DunnoWhyButYeah, cyanol, Un- and 4 others
CTBgenuine

CTBgenuine

Student
Mar 27, 2022
I guess I just find it bothersome. I was already accused of being a "DA" or whatever on another thread just because of my post count...

I guess I can take back my post on here. I don't think it's wrong for people to seek attention on this site so long as they have actual problems they go through. Probably been said earlier, but in a way we are all looking for some degree of it be it for someone to relate to us. I just find it unlikely that someone is bored enough to troll on this site for no reason.
I don't think it's wrong but I do think it's unnecessary, annoying and pathetic to seek attention on a website that caters to suicidal people who have no other outlet to express their desires... But hey, I don't mingle with people here and I only comment on posts which appear genuine/interesting, so it doesn't affect me but it probably affects other people.

Reactions: cyanol, Fragile and WorthlessTrash
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
I don't know about the 'solely want attention' part. But the 'fake' part- yes, of course. There are countless fake or deceptive profiles. There's even members who exist solely to like/react on certain posts in order to sway approval and opinion. That is the nature of any online forum. I would speculate that the number of members who are here genuinely posting as themselves without any ulterior motives or hidden agendas is relatively low. You can't give me one single example of a public forum where this doesn't happen. It's normal.

• Wow
Reactions: whatevs, ColorlessTrees and Fragile
Feeding Pigeons

Feeding Pigeons

Warlock
Aug 5, 2021
I think a healthy amount of lying and deception is necessary to prevent oneself from getting doxxed or found out, but I think even if somebody was fabricating a sob story for themselves purely for attention then as long as they aren't bothering anyone else, who cares? What's so wrong with just wanting attention? Better that someone just wants some eyes on their thoughts for once than for them to actually be trying to scam others, to spy for the organizations trying to bring this site down, or straight up manipulate members into revealing their identities for blackmail purposes.
You make a good point. It's kind of weird how wanting attention is seen as some sort of sin. If people felt comfortable enough to say "Hey I need some attention right now" they wouldn't make up bullshit to get the attention in the first place.

Especially right now with tiktok and all that garbage, I think it would be healthier to just actually ask for attention than to do social media.

Reactions: Un-, NSA, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 5 others
Ldog9

Ldog9

Student
Jan 12, 2019
I dunno about people purely doing it for 'attention'. More like empathy, validation of their feelings, people to vent to, etc. I honestly think the vast majority of people who end up here, don't ctb. It doesn't mean they are 'fake', but were down enough that they ended up here and just needed some help. Maybe the just needed people to tell them its not that bad or things will be ok, or even just discover how difficult ctb can be.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees
whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022

We have members with 10k post counts and nobody bothers them. I would try to see how stupid (and bannable) is that someone would accuse you of not killing yourself.

Reactions: Dead Ghost, Hirokami and WorthlessTrash
NobodyKnowsMe

NobodyKnowsMe

Just biding my time
Dec 21, 2021
Tis the nature of forums and any online community. There will always be people that are there just for attention. Sites like this, there will even be people that create accounts simply so that they can get the attention that is given in Goodbye threads. However, I think the number of such is very low compared to the total population here.

As to those of us that are not ready to bite the bullet within days of joining this site, if others want to judge us as some sort of 'fakes', so be it. I stopped giving a crap about what online folks think of me a long time ago. I'm not here to fit into someone else's mold of a proper suicidal person.

Reactions: Grav, cyanol, Passersby and 2 others
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I would never call someone who does not ctb a "faker". This is not the intention of my question. I think such thoughts are dangerous. Noone is forced to ctb here. There should be no pressure. I think people already experiencing way too much pressure when facing this question. Due to the environment (like having no money) or incredible pain (which is like an inner pressure to seek for relief of that pain).

• Hugs
Reactions: DunnoWhyButYeah, Foresight, ColorlessTrees and 1 other person
Shu

Shu

As above, So Below.
Jan 21, 2022
This guy right here was calling us all fakers yesterday saying we're all "faking" being depressed and if we really wanted to die we wouldn't spend all of our time on a suicide forum. He asked me "your name is ctb and you're still not dead yeat?" "I bet you're gonna be here in 5 years faking being depressed to get attention" "you have sn and still havent died yet? Are you just sitting there playing with it? Give it to someone that's gonna use it" @javan12 so yeah going by him were all faking being depressed for attention.

• Wow
  • Hmph!
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, Un-, Foresight and 7 others
whatevs

whatevs

Jan 15, 2022
There might well be, but I can't objectively assess whether someone's lying about their suffering, so speculating is of little use. What bothers me more is users attacking others and calling them names, and then over-empathying towards other users in different threads right away. At least that's fakery I can easily see through.
Hmmm I disagree on this, its human nature to be callous with those you find distateful and show your soft side with those you like. This is particularly easy to witness when it comes to politics or religion. Those in the group get a completely different treatment than outsiders, even if both are strangers to the person in question.

Calling names is of course unnaceptable but something will always slip when you get pressed.

Reactions: CTBgenuine
CTBgenuine

CTBgenuine

Student
Mar 27, 2022
Hmmm I disagree on this, its human nature to be callous with those you find distateful and show your soft side with those you like. This is particularly easy to witness when it comes to politics or religion. Those in the group get a completely different treatment than outsiders, even if both are strangers to the person in question.

Calling names is of course unnaceptable but something will always slip when you get pressed.
I absolutely agree with you! It's bizarre, immature and unreasonable to think otherwise tbh.... But the commenter in question declared themselves as angst ridden and a fuck up, so they probably don't understand these things..

Last edited:
WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
This guy right here was calling us all fakers yesterday saying we're all "faking" being depressed and if we really wanted to die we wouldn't spend all of our time on a suicide forum. He asked me "your name is ctb and you're still not dead yeat?" "I bet you're gonna be here in 5 years faking being depressed to get attention" "you have sn and still havent died yet? Are you just sitting there playing with it? Give it to someone that's gonna use it" @javan12 so yeah going by him were all faking being depressed for attention.
He even liked this post but is too much of pussy to say anything on here lmao

• Yay!
Reactions: ImsooDone1N
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I absolutely agree with you! It's bizarre, immature and unreasonable to think otherwise tbh.... But the commenter in question declared themselves as angst ridden and a fuck up, so they probably don't understand these things..
That's cute. I don't even know who you are, but I appreciate all the disses. Clearly I'll never be on your level.

For reference, I'm talking about vitriolic people not in control of their emotions towards other members, who then overcompensate by loving/hugging all over the place, as if we can't see right through that.

Reactions: whatevs
CTBgenuine

CTBgenuine

Student
Mar 27, 2022
That's cute. I don't even know who you are, but I appreciate all the disses. Clearly I'll never be on your level.

For reference, I'm talking about vitriolic people not in control of their emotions towards other members, who then overcompensate by loving/hugging all over the place, as if we can't see right through that.
I wasn't 'dissing' you LOL.
Like Whatevs said, we're sharp with some and caring towards others. It all depends on energy, really.
Being harsh with one person and caring towards anothers isn't overcompensating for this, it's merely human nature. You obviously take things VERY personally because everyone won't kiss your ass. Some people like you and some don't, who cares?!

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
I wasn't 'dissing' you LOL.
Like Whatevs said, we're sharp with some and caring towards others. It all depends on energy, really.
Being harsh with one person and caring towards anothers isn't overcompensating for this, it's merely human nature. You obviously take things VERY personally because everyone won't kiss your ass. Some people like you and some don't, who cares?!

No, this isn't about me. I'm talking about other users who reveal their true nature by going off on people and then expecting us to believe they're empaths when they luvheart the next topic as if nothing happened.

Reactions: Chinaski
CTBgenuine

CTBgenuine

Student
Mar 27, 2022
No, this isn't about me. I'm talking about other users who reveal their true nature by going off on people and then expecting us to believe they're empaths when they luvheart the next topic as if nothing happened.
That's human nature! Why is it wrong to react with anger with one user and love with another? It doesn't make this person fake.
It also depends on the post, different subjects will have different reactions. However, if someone was going after you regardless of what you said and did, they obviously have a strong dislike for the user and not a particular post

Last edited:
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
That's human nature! Why is it wrong to react with anger with one user and love with another? It doesn't make this person fake.

It also depends on the post, different subjects with have different reactions. However, if someone was going after you regardless of what you said and did, they obviously have a strong dislike for the user and not a particular post

I just think they're undermining themselves when they display two very different personas. I've seen some people on here launch into some really hateful shit which was basically unwarranted and unprovoked. And it's pretty off when that same person then goes and attempts to come off as some kind ear to a suffering stranger five minutes later. But fuck, I dunno, I could be wrong.

• Wow
Reactions: Un-, Chinaski and WorthlessTrash
CTBgenuine

CTBgenuine

Student
Mar 27, 2022
I just think they're undermining themselves when they display two very different personas. I've seen some people on here launch into some really hateful shit which was basically unwarranted and unprovoked. And it's pretty off when that same person then goes and attempts to come off as some kind ear to a suffering stranger five minutes later. But fuck, I dunno, I could be wrong.
With all due respect this isn't supersoul Sunday, this is a suicide forum and nobody here is stable or rational because suicide isn't rational, so why would people exhibit rationality in every comment/post?...