• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

jar-baby

jar-baby

Arcanist
Jun 20, 2023
I'm no fan of religion either, but no, they're not. At least, not all of them. They're just stuck in an ideological prison. Religious beliefs are often hereditary and if you were indoctrinated sufficiently when you were young you're pretty much doomed, regardless of how smart you are in the conventional sense.

I've said this elsewhere, but if you were raised in a religious environment, beliefs that seem absurd to an outsider capable of critical thought become part of your internal model of reality early on. You may critically examine what you learn in later years, and the older/smarter you are, the better you'll be at distinguishing what's true from what's not. But ideas that were instilled in you long before your cognitive faculties developed—ideas that have, again, had time to cement themselves as part of your fundamental model of reality—are impervious to critical thought because you'd never think to subject them to it. That's why intelligent religious people exist—because an aptitude for logical thinking generally isn't enough to escape an ideological prison.

I agree that the average theist might not be the best critical thinker but if you want to steelman the religious position you're probably better off reading/listening to theist apologists/philosophers.

I hate the concept because it convinces people they know the answers to things which they really don't. This stifles learning... When you can say "I don't know let's find out!" then you have a chance to learn something. When you say "the magic man in the sky did it!" then there is no motivation to learn anything new. It is very sad.
I really feel you on this though. One of the things I hate most about religion.

Reactions: sserafim
AbusedInnocent

AbusedInnocent

Student
Apr 5, 2024
Well this thread got quite heated.

I have to agree, if you are religious because you were raised that way and never questioned it you're not necessarily stupid, but if you did some research and denied the scientific, logical and moral reasons why your religion is false then you're certainly stupid, because it's objectively wrong no matter how you look at it.

Reactions: sserafim
Heavy Rain

Heavy Rain

Jul 29, 2024
Well this thread got quite heated.

I have to agree, if you are religious because you were raised that way and never questioned it you're not necessarily stupid, but if you did some research and denied the scientific, logical and moral reasons why your religion is false then you're certainly stupid, because it's objectively wrong no matter how you look at it.
Can you share the scientific, logical and moral reasons that proves religion to be objectively wrong?

sos

sos

Student
Jul 22, 2024
can you provide me with evidence that there's no god / heaven / hell?

exactly

case closed

Heavy Rain

Heavy Rain

Jul 29, 2024
can you provide me with evidence that there's no god / heaven / hell?

exactly

case closed
If this is a snarky response to my comment, I've never made the suggestion that the "case is closed"

I'm simply asking him to back up his statement

sos

sos

Student
Jul 22, 2024
If this is a snarky response to my comment, I've never made the suggestion that the "case is closed"

I'm simply asking him to back up his statement
no i just read the main post and replied

so no worries my guy idk what post ur talking about . . .

• Informative
Reactions: Heavy Rain