• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'm so sorry. This is my third post here today! I would have saved it for another time but I'm SO desperate to vent and I don't know where else to go.

This is likely to come across as whiny and entitled- I'm going to try and balance it out...

I've just spent likely over an hour applying for a job. It's a company I have worked for in the past. I actually worked for them for 9 years! I wouldn't say I was a model employee but I'd say I was certainly way above average.

Still- that's not relevant because they rejected my application within minutes of doing a personality/aptitude test. Thinking about it- there have been four jobs I'm pretty sure I've been turned down for after these tests... Really I ought to be better at lying by now!

They tell you to be honest though... I expect I come across as I am- not massively confident, kind of depressed and socially anxious. I suppose it is fair enough that they likely DO want people who have better traits- and they can take their pick I suppose.

Do you suppose most people just lie on those things? In which case- what's the point of doing them? Maybe everyone else is just a better fit than me though.

Honestly- some of the questions are like: 'Do you sometimes struggle to be cheerful?' Who doesn't?!! We don't all walk around grinning all the time! It just REALLY annoys me because it feels like it's: the computer says 'no' before you get anywhere near a human being...

I'm not the happiest employee in the world- granted. There are plenty of jobs I wouldn't even attempt to go for because I know I don't have the confident persona to represent the company well. Still- I've always cared about the jobs I've had (even if I hated them.) I've always tried to do them well. I've never been told that I've done a job badly.

I don't know. In all honesty, I don't even want a wage-slave job... perhaps that is coming across too! I just find it irritating to be honest. Employers aren't supposed to discriminate over a lot of things.

I've worked with people who were outright rude to customers- or would just walk away from them and let someone else deal with it but they were excused because they had learning difficulties. The rest of us had to pick up the slack. It's not to blame them- it's not to blame the company- it's good that they support people with disabilities (or rather- it's employees do.) It doesn't seem to apply for the run of the mill pessimist though.

Maybe they rejected me for other reasons but I get the impression the main one was because it was clear that I'm not this eternal optimist that doesn't let anything bother them. I can pretty much gurantee them that a month or two working there and the happiest person will have all that knocked out of them! Most people I worked with were unhappy. I'm starting to get desperate for work though!

Urghhh- sorry- a big long vent. How about you? Have you failed personality/aptitude tests? Do you think employers discriminate against depression? I suppose they have a right to if it affects your ability to do the job.

I think the funniest thing was when I received a rejection letter that was trying to be as kind and gentle as possible, saying: 'Please don't take it personally but you have been rejected on the basis of your recent personality test.' So- I shouldn't take it personally that you don't like my personality... Okie dokie...