• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

What is your total cholesterol (TC) level?

• ≥ 3.0 mmol/L

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • 3.0 < x ≤ 4.1 mmol/L

• 4.1 < x ≤ 5.2 mmol/L

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5.2 < x ≤ 6.2 mmol/L

• > 6.2 mmol/L

• I don't know, but I want to see the results.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
K

Kavka

Jun 11, 2024
There appears to be a link between low cholesterol (hypocholesterolemia) and suicide risk. A somewhat recent (2023) systematic review summarised this as follows:

Peripheral lipids have received substantial attention as promising biomarkers of suicide, based on biological evidence showing that a low peripheral cholesterol level reduces the cholesterol/phospholipid ratio in neuronal mem-branes, leading to altered membrane viscosity and function that affects synaptic plasticity, enhances inflamma-tion, and reduces serotonergic neurotransmission, which are associated with mood dysregulation and suicidal behavior (SB). A previous meta-analysis found lower total cholesterol (TC) and low-density lipoprotein levels in suicidal patients than in non-suicidal patients and healthy controls. Similarly, the TC and low-density lipoprotein levels were lower in major depressive patients with SAs, whereas the TC level was lower in patients with schizophrenia spectrum disorders and SAs. Although the BBB prevents the transit of cholesterol molecules, studies have provided support for the association between low central cholesterol level and suicidality. A study found a significantly decreased cholesterol content in the frontal cortex of individuals with violent suicidal death (SD) and increased level of the eliminated form of oxycholesterol in the PFC of individuals with SD

Consistent with this, we found that the serum lipid level can be a biomarker of SB. Low peripheral TC level was associated with recent SA in most cross-sectional studies of patients with various psychiatric disorders and with suicide reattempt within 6 months in a longitudinal study. However, there was no significant association between other lipid profile parameters and SR, lifetime SA, or SD, given the inconsistent or negative findings of previous studies, except for a few studies of the association between low central cholesterol level and SD.

Source: Kang HJ, Kim JW, Kim SW, Han JS, Lyoo IK, Kim JM. Peripheral Markers of Suicidal Behavior: Current Findings and Clinical Implications. Clin Psychopharmacol Neurosci. 2023 Nov 30;21(4):650-664. doi: 10.9758/cpn.22.1046. Epub 2023 May 22. PMID: 37859438; PMCID: PMC10591170.

Interestingly, there also seem to be lipid abnormalities in autism. These findings are in line with my own cholesterol levels, which have always been (very) low. My most recent result was 3.0 mmol/L or the 1st percentile when adjusted for sex and age.

I'd be really interested to hear what you all think about these findings and whether it applies to your cholesterol levels, if you know them. I've included a poll with some broad options, but if you're really interested, you can also calculate your age- and sex-adjusted percentile here. I think low cholesterol is defined as < 5th percentile. Thank you!

Lookingtoflyfree

Lookingtoflyfree

Experienced
Jan 11, 2024
Where did you hear about lipid abnormalities in autism? I'm having issues with high cholesterol which have shocked me.

Reactions: sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I have high cholesterol levels

Total cholesterol: 309 mg/dL
HDL cholesterol: 91 mg/dL
Triglycerides: 161 mg/dL
LDL-cholesterol: 187 mg/dL
Chol/HDLC ratio: 3.4
Non HDL cholesterol: 218 mg/dL