Querlista

Querlista

Jan 12, 2021
I think neither..
I have great possibilities, a few nice people around me, maybe even a promising future. I do have bouts of depression but rn I don't feel depressed. Just have a general low mood.
But at this point I'm just tired of trying to lead a happy life. Living happily seems like a life long self impovement task and I'm just not up for that. Why bother living if you can just be dead and feel nothing?

Reactions: DivineMedicus
it's_all_a_game

it's_all_a_game

I remember...death in the afternoon...
Nov 7, 2020
Baaah, that sort of crap annoys me. You don't have to have a terrible life in order to die. I'm someone who's been homeless, but I don't think that folks who've never been in that situation have to stay alive. It's an individual decision. It's like those who say "Well, at least you're not blind!" Yeah...and??? What, are only blind people allowed to make the choice to end their existences? :meh:

Reactions: sourpink, Deleted member 1768 and DivineMedicus
Wrennie

Wrennie

-
Dec 18, 2019
I'm severely depressed because I have a terrible life.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Élégie, sourpink, WornOutLife and 2 others
DivineMedicus

DivineMedicus

Vereor Nox
Sep 7, 2020
I am not depressed, nor do I have a shitty life (yet). If I truly applied myself I might not be on this forum right now, as I am doing quite well in academia and will likely have good job prospects. I just want to quit because I find life to be too boring.

D

Deleted member 1768

Enlightened
Aug 15, 2018
My psychiatrist said medication alone isn't as effective as if I'm being active: fake it until I make it. I just can't do that. Anyway, so it's not just medication apparently, we have to force neurons back into place by hard work too. If you believe it? I don't think it's possible to shift my total want for ctb
Using brain plasticity to change the dendritic wiring works for some epileptic seizures, and yes, it can work on lifestyle changes/thinking. It does take about three weeks to work, but it most certainly is not hard to do. If I can find the paperwork I wrote to do this I will supply it here. Do not expect much though...my eyes are not what they used to be.

D

daveyc

Jan 9, 2021
Psychology Professor Jordan Peterson differentiates between people with severe mental health poblems and people who just have a terrible life (for example chronic pain, homelessness, poverty). He says people who have a good life but are severly depressed these people just need to find the right medication.
As for most of you probably both applies to me. But i have to admit i found a good medication (still i am depressed but not severe). However my life is shit. Coming poverty, coming depressive episodes (i am bipolar) and other circumstances let me contemplate suicide.
So which state applies to you?
I have had psychiatrists confirm I don't meet the criteria for major depression; I just have personality disorder traits and am a very defective person.

I've never had a job (at least not for more than a couple of weeks) or a proper relationship. In my adult life, I have probably fallen asleep after sunrise more than I have before. My face is messed up from scarring acne and I am afraid to go outside because I don't want people to see it. I am too uncoordinated for jobs that require any manual dexterity, and I can't read properly so wouldn't be able to do anything intellectually demanding or services-based. I have never had a hobby.

On top of that, I am only here in the first place because my parents couldn't be bothered to use a condom when they were teens. I never had a shot at a normal life.

• Hugs
Reactions: Élégie, Final Escape, Metalhead and 2 others
megafire

megafire

burn it down
Oct 12, 2020
I've been through some shit, but as of right now my exterior situation is pretty stable. my problem stems from whats going on inside. part of it is my outlook in life, but i have personality issues and complex mental shit that make living miserable.

• Hugs
Reactions: dandan, newave3 and Lmd
tpurced

tpurced

Just passing through this world
Oct 23, 2020
I'm a cocktail of a bit of everything it feels; some my fault, some not. It's a mess similar to my own room- new problems and issues stacked on old ones.

I can't say I've had a terrible life, as I was quite fortunate when growing up as a kid- however it's definitely a miserable one.

I don't quite agree with Jordan though. His way of just saying that you 'just' need to find the right medicine- it's. I don't even know how to phrase it but very illogical and wrong. Just the words he used, 'just' implies that it's a simple thing, which it's not. I dunno-

Reactions: Deleted member 22624
Deleted member 94

Deleted member 94

Wizard
Mar 24, 2018
  • Hugs
Reactions: WornOutLife, Deleted member 22624, muffin222 and 1 other person
muffin222

muffin222

Enlightened
Mar 31, 2020
I have several serious mental health issues due to a terrible, abusive upbringing, the symptoms of which have in turn created a fairly unstable, painful existence for me. So, I'd say both factors feed into each other.

• Hugs
Reactions: sourpink and newave3
A

AintNoWayOut

Student
Jan 6, 2020
both. have always been more of a depressive person but my chronic pain has greatly diminished any happiness/quality of life i had.

• Hugs
Reactions: newave3
I

I screwed up

Waiting for the damn bus
Sep 11, 2019
Both .. One fuels the other

• Hugs
N

Natty

Student
Jul 27, 2020
Jordan Peterson is a charlatan.

For me it's a bit of bit.

• Love
Reactions: dovistico and sourpink
Misantrope

Misantrope

Jan 14, 2021
I don't have terrible life. Right now I don't have any economical issues, I have decent job. But it may be temporary, since I view myself as unqualified and useless, I can't learn, I can't develop useful skills. Capacity of my memory has deteriorated. I used to be very fluent with English (it's my second language) but I seem to forget it.. ..

I suffer from bpd and my self hate is enormous.

• Hugs
Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Both, the hard life is easier to beat than this evil depression that doesn't live me alone. I have a psychiatrist appointment today and I don't even talk anymore. It's useless. I just leave with a piece of paper with meds I'm not taking anymore.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: dandan, sourpink, WornOutLife and 3 others
Deleted member 22624

Deleted member 22624

One foot in the grave
Oct 7, 2020
Using brain plasticity to change the dendritic wiring works for some epileptic seizures, and yes, it can work on lifestyle changes/thinking. It does take about three weeks to work, but it most certainly is not hard to do. If I can find the paperwork I wrote to do this I will supply it here. Do not expect much though...my eyes are not what they used to be.
These things do not work for every case

Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
I do not have severe depression, or a terrible life either - I just think that I am a terrible human being.

Desdemona

Desdemona

Oct 14, 2020
I had struggles and a bit of depression but chronic pain in my 20s is ultimately what's making me suicidal

Compared to my friends and people I know my life was a bit crappier than others but I managed

• Hugs
Reactions: AintNoWayOut
in hell out soon

in hell out soon

Student
Apr 27, 2020
Both.

they have me on the hunt for the right meds but nothing does me good. the only thing I'm seeking is a peaceful death. I don't want to suffer any more.

Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
A mixture of both I suppose. Although, my life wouldn't of been half as bad if I was "normal".

OnlyTheWind

OnlyTheWind

Serena / Meatball head
Aug 29, 2020
It's difficult to say where I place myself, but I guess anxiety and depression that have steadily gotten worse to the point where I don't even want to get better anymore. Anxiety spelled my doom from the start. Same old story we've all heard a million times before.

LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
Terrible flesh, terrible life.
I've been on so many medications in the past (never again) and the only ones that benefited me in any way are ones that allowed me to fucking sleep, the rest just made me worse or fucked with me to a degree that I was no longer myself, nor rational. Basically if you have a mind free of these "Chemical imbalances" they claim, the medications will GIVE you a legitimate chemical imbalance.
I cringe at some of the things I did and said while under the influence of psych meds.
Thank god I at least escaped the ECT method, which is always used as their "last resort" (it's a last resort only in the way that there will be no other options left after your brain is fried and your mental capacity diminished).
I suppose there is truth in the notion that being depressed and isolated for circumstantial reasons can lead to decay of the brain in certain ways, so a terrible life could lead to severe "mental health issues" but none of that was the cause of the person's misery, simply icing on the fucked up cake.

Btw Jordan Peterson is one of the last people who should be allowed to judge the difference between a terrible life and mental disturbances. One person's pain could be another person's passion, it's up to the individual to understand whether they are suffering from circumstances or brain chemistry.
My psychiatrist said medication alone isn't as effective as if I'm being active: fake it until I make it. I just can't do that. Anyway, so it's not just medication apparently, we have to force neurons back into place by hard work too. If you believe it? I don't think it's possible to shift my total want for ctb
Both meds and talk therapy absolutely destroyed me. I think the therapy portion can be just as harmful as the medication. For me, more so. But no professionals are willing to admit that sometimes NEITHER work, they only work to make things worse in certain people.
It's like "Oh that med isn't working?, Okay, try this one."
And then that one, and this one and that one, on and on and on...forever.
And "Oh that therapist isn't working out? Well you just have to find the right one! Therapy is good for everyone!"
They absolutely refuse to accept that the very nature of psych practices can be inherently detrimental to many.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: dovistico, Élégie, Arvinneedstodie and 1 other person
sourpink

sourpink

Student
Aug 27, 2020
Peterson is gross, but I'm liking this dialogue - both, for me. though they factor into and fuel each other and all goes hand in hand.
6 dxs. complications both physical and mental from those, in addition to rendering me useless in a capitalist society, keeping me trapped in the poverty hole.
born into working poverty, neglect, abuse, developed addiction issues, dropped out of high school due to mental illness/addiction, eventually finished that (and did well; I was one of the so-called 'gifted' kids, I just had a lot of shit going on), never bothered with college or anything similar because there's simply no money for it (why dangle unreachable hope in front of oneself?), worked a lot of shit jobs for shit pay and got ripped off in the process most times-- trying to achieve things as most others do did more harm than good. the cycles of addiction/abuse/trauma just continued until I broke beyond repair and am now a 'lazy' parasite/leech on society, or (for extra fun!) one could view my existence as one of luxurious free time without obligations.
... too bad being disabled actually is just as (if not more) taxing as a full time job, lol.
so, really.. it's cyclical for so many of us.
is it nature or nurture? we know it's both, so really, which came first? or does that even matter?
Peterson is gross anyway, he's not exactly one to cast any stones, bloody quack.

Last edited:
  • Love
LenkaX

LenkaX

Maybe there is a hope!
Aug 14, 2020
Both - terrible life and severe depression, but also one thing - too strong survival instinct.

However, if legal euthanasia with Nembutal was a choice, I would be gone long time ago,

• Hugs
Lupgevif

Lupgevif

Jul 23, 2020
I am severely depressed, and Jordan Peterson is a sham.

F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
I have had psychiatrists confirm I don't meet the criteria for major depression; I just have personality disorder traits and am a very defective person.

I've never had a job (at least not for more than a couple of weeks) or a proper relationship. In my adult life, I have probably fallen asleep after sunrise more than I have before. My face is messed up from scarring acne and I am afraid to go outside because I don't want people to see it. I am too uncoordinated for jobs that require any manual dexterity, and I can't read properly so wouldn't be able to do anything intellectually demanding or services-based. I have never had a hobby.

On top of that, I am only here in the first place because my parents couldn't be bothered to use a condom when they were teens. I never had a shot at a normal life.
Now that is depressing as hell. I really feel for u.
:(