• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Proteus

Proteus

Oceanic Member
Feb 6, 2024
A purpose is super important, well-being is related to your sense of purpose. I'd say helping others is it, why can't anything that does the world better have a reason to be there? I want the right to die to to be taken seriously, I studied what causes overpopulation and want to diminish it by fighting what causes it, and more things. Any person that fights for that has a clear purpose. Even if you argue nothing has to exist, you would be helping to reduce existence and thus a purpose in this scenario ;)

Also I have a hobby where I want to be the very best, but that's secret for now :)

thesadbrazilian

thesadbrazilian

Feb 6, 2024
I personally don't have a purpose, at the end of the day, it doesn't really influence how I feel about the world. Whether I want it or not, not having a purpose makes things easier for me.

Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
Life probably has a purpose, but it doesn't make sense. It seems to be chasing after short term goals. In the long run, everyone will die.

• Hugs
Reactions: sserafim and Kit1
Dliena

Dliena

𝚂𝚂 𝙼𝚎𝚖𝚋𝚎𝚛 𝙽𝚘. 43,53?
Dec 22, 2023
F no not for a failure like me. Might be a different story for everyone else here depending on who you ask ofc.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Kit1
PaperGodzilla

PaperGodzilla

Mar 20, 2022
I'd say it's difficult to have a life purpose and stick to it, in a capitalistic society where profit is more valuable than self realization. I'm too tired because of having to work and maintain social relationships to think about it clearly and positively, it just gives me anxiety at this point. Sadly projection into a future self comes with the material conditions to allow it. However, I'm not hopeless in this matter, with the years passing i matured very much emotionally compared to when i was a teenager, so just the ability of putting words on what I feel and expressing it shamelessly with friends just aleviate my feelings and make my life easier, so even if at times i feel that my soul is rotten and I can't afford many things that would help to aleviate the negative sides to my life it is ok for now, I will find a purpose. Even if i don't, "getting better at life" is a purpose on itself

Last edited:
sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
No, I don't have a purpose. I wish I knew what it was though. I don't have an ideal career or true calling, and I wish that if I have one, I would know what it is. There's nothing I feel particularly drawn to (unless it's ctb'ing, lol).

• Hugs
Reactions: Kit1
Andrews

Andrews

Jan 1, 2024
For me it used to be pursuing a path of inner development. Still is sometimes.

I used to be healthier, thus had many alternatives to that, in day to day life. Meaning I didn't realize the necessity of an inner path. Then some "exams" happened, failed and the physical health deteriorated. Now with this body there's not much I can do anymore, neither on the inside or the outside.
Just another way of failing an existence.

Neptunezz

Neptunezz

Blissful isolation
Feb 4, 2024
I sorta find my "purpose" in life to just do my hobbies, since without them I definitely would've CTB'd a long time ago. Although I wouldn't really call doing my hobbies my purpose in life since I'll probably never get paid from it and it's something that I isolate myself when doing them.

I'd think in order to feel like you have a purpose you'd probably need positive reinforcement around you it's just that I've grown to despise people.

spring vainglory

spring vainglory

from a moon soaked in distance.
Feb 3, 2024
i used to have one life purpose, but the despair in realizing how hard it would be for someone as hindered and resourceless as me to achieve made me suicidal. i have a partner who i cant bring myself to leave behind, so instead of choosing ctb i changed my reason for living to be a good girlfriend to him someday.
its worked to give me a will to live at least. every day is no longer agonizing.

i think having a life purpose is important, but only if you have a good reason you dont want to ctb. find something you have already and care about, so that it wouldn't as easily bring you despair over perceived failure, and make that your purpose. i think its similar to those who have said that their hobbies are their purpose.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
The only purpose I feel like I could have is to be the villain or at least some minor antagonist from someone else's story. Not sure whose though, it might even be my own.

• Hugs
Reactions: Kit1 and sserafim
AStruggle

AStruggle

a clinically depressed vidya connoisseur
Feb 8, 2024
I didn't have a purpose in life for a long long time. Hell, can't say I really have it sorted out now, because I'm constantly swinging between being suicidal and putting an effort into living.
I've moved to another country two years ago, and since then all I did was socializing, trying different stuff out. Being depressed and anhedonic most of the time really affected my perception of things - what purpose can you possibly have if absolutely nothing can give you gratification, joy or happiness?

I started my journey trying to understand what I really enjoy in life, what seems cool, interesting or captivating at times when life isn't agonizing. Anything is fine there: whether you enjoy watching movies, using drugs, playing videogames or climbing mountains - anything can be used as a spark. It can be hard to notice at times, at least for me, but once you realize what's makes it click for you this realization sticks with you.

It's important to understand that there are no limits - absolutely anything you enjoy can be percieved as something that gives your life meaning. My family never understood my passion for videogames, so I was raised in the environment where everyone close to me would tell me that I'm wasting my time doing things I like, that there are thing much more important than what I do. As it turns out - time you enjoy wasting isn't wasted time.
Now I'm trying to get my shit together and finish my videogame project, as well as act upon some related ideas.

I guess it is also important to let yourself dream big, even if the dream of yours feels out of reach at times. It can be a bit silly, but I believe in videogames so much that I'd like to become something of a videogame messiah one day. Even though it sounds kind of dumb and maybe lame to other people, it's me who gives this idea a meaning.
So my words of advice would be: dream more, find what you enjoy in this shitty life and stick to it, and work towards it when you're feeling capable. Don't let other people discourage you, or make you do something you don't feel like doing - life is meaningless without your own, silly twist on it.
Stay strong.

M

mrelief82

Broken to 1000 pcs
Nov 23, 2023
My purpose last 4 years was to stay afloat for my son , it didn't happen . The time I lost control over him was the worst , now I don't believe I can recover enough to be for him :(

Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
Yes, I do. I want to finish a scientific research project I have been working on for the last 25 years, and get my book on the subject written and publishd. But may I make a more general point about "purposes"? You needn't go looking for a purpose in life. That usually doesn't work. What usually happens is that a purpose finds you.

TheSpookyNameGuy

TheSpookyNameGuy

There's nothing here..
Apr 30, 2023
None and it's one of the main factors in my quest for death.

I was brought here with no mission, simply to survive and procreate apparently.

Nope isn't good enough for me, i don't care for any of that.

wait.what

wait.what

no really, what?
Aug 14, 2020
No. I used to say it was to leave the world a little better than I found it, but the truth is that just by being alive, I'm making it worse. Even if I went to live off the grid and vastly reduced my consumption of energy and generation of trash, I'd still be competing for space and resources with wild creatures who are getting very short on both.

I guess I produce carbon dioxide by breathing, which is useful for the plants. Other than that? Nope.

• Hugs
Reactions: Dliena and Kit1