• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

F

failtoimagine

Mar 22, 2023
Since starting ketamine treatment this month I've had low-key dread and despair daily. I just wonder about the point of life. I can live day by day, tread water, have momentary happiness and suffering, but why? Why not die? I am just curious if some people here have found a point to living, and how.

Reactions: Caramelized
redbathingduck

redbathingduck

Student
Mar 20, 2023
Personally I do consider life to be pointless but I think there's some beauty to be found in that as well. I think people should find things that makes life worth living for themselves, which can be literally anything no matter how minor. Unfortunately it can be hard to actually do the things that could make life worth it for someone due to a lot of other circumstances that could prevent it, be those medical, financial, work, where you live or just 'society' as a whole. I also personally think it's fine if people decide there's not really anything worth living for and for people to decide to CTB for that reason, as I do think there ultimately isn't any point to life so I think a choice like that should be free to make. Personally I have never really found anything worth living for, be that before or after my depression and other issues

Fear On Rye

Fear On Rye

Mar 21, 2023
ketamine treatment? Is that a thing from doctors?

redbathingduck

redbathingduck

Student
Mar 20, 2023
ketamine treatment? Is that a thing from doctors?
It's a treatment that's used for treatment-resistant depression if other medication or therapy doesn't help sufficiently. Usually not something they start out with

Last edited:
Reactions: ShotgunShell
cogmachine

cogmachine

hurk urk blergh
Feb 22, 2023
to an extent i'd say. i don't buy into depressive nihilism, or at i try not to. if i have one shot at this particular life, might as well try something before kicking the bucket. i'm not depressed because it's all meaningless, rather that it's my fault i'm like this. as happiness is fleeting, so is suffering, it's just that the latter is a lot more easier to prolong. tl;dr spite keeps me going usually.

F

failtoimagine

Mar 22, 2023
It's a treatment that's used for treatment-resistant depression if other medication or therapy doesn't help sufficiently. Usually not something they start out with
Yes, I thought it would be a last resort. Like if it doesn't work I'll just kill myself.

The treatment has been mixed and I feel like I'm in a stasis or holding pattern.
to an extent i'd say. i don't buy into depressive nihilism, or at i try not to. if i have one shot at this particular life, might as well try something before kicking the bucket. i'm not depressed because it's all meaningless, rather that it's my fault i'm like this. as happiness is fleeting, so u is suffering, it's just that the latter is a lot more easier to prolong. tl;dr spite keeps me going usually.
I've only heard of spite being a reason for some people recently. Do you mean living to spite others or life itself?
Personally I do consider life to be pointless but I think there's some beauty to be found in that as well. I think people should find things that makes life worth living for themselves, which can be literally anything no matter how minor. Unfortunately it can be hard to actually do the things that could make life worth it for someone due to a lot of other circumstances that could prevent it, be those medical, financial, work, where you live or just 'society' as a whole. I also personally think it's fine if people decide there's not really anything worth living for and for people to decide to CTB for that reason, as I do think there ultimately isn't any point to life so I think a choice like that should be free to make. Personally I have never really found anything worth living for, be that before or after my depression and other issues
On my best days, I can make a list of good things I have as reasons to live, and I find some of those items are what other people have said is their reason. Ex. their significant other. All these reasons though just don't stick with me though on a deep, molecular level. I guess it depresses me because it makes me feel meaningless and I can't abide by that

Last edited:
Sulyya

Sulyya

Synergist
Mar 6, 2023
My point to living is just being a supporting presence for family and friends. I'm not sure that it's worth it to me compared to my desire to die but it must be in some way because here I am.

That's how it is in practical life for me. Philosophically I can feel both sides at different times. I can either name all possible blessings that I have or could have then just think "yeah but I'm sad anyway" and go down that rabbit hole. Or I can be in a rabbit hole of reasons I feel sad, or misery about different things in the world, and then think "so?" and feel better through the smallest good thing.

cogmachine

cogmachine

hurk urk blergh
Feb 22, 2023
I've only heard of spite being a reason for some people recently. Do you mean living to spite others or life itself?
both. doing it as a revenge to people who wronged is pointless, and i'd rather have my own faults be a reason as to why i'd end it, instead of some sort of a cosmic joke.

S

ScissorYoda

Mar 19, 2023
It's a funny one to think about, the point of life. Essentially I think it comes down to ones mindset, you can create meaning and purpose of you choose to, or you can view your existence as pointless. The crazy thing to ponder though is if you were given 2 options; to never exist at all, for nothing to exist or to be born into this world - the difference between the 2 is literally everything we know. We can't really comprehend complete nothingness. And the fact that anything exists at all, the fact we are in these bodies on this earth with all there is to do and see and experience... To me it just seems like an amazing opportunity to just pass on, I see the world as a kind of playground, you are the creator of your experience, create meaning if you choose to, or just observe and enjoy the ride, or choose to opt out.

Funnily enough ketamine has played a part in my perception, I feel like the 'pointless' mindset can go both ways, can be both a blessing and a curse to view things like that.

Reactions: redbathingduck
S

SamHam

Mar 23, 2023
Life has a point which you have to give it. The biggest reason for someone to CBT is because they probably live aimlessly and don't see reason to live. I've experienced this at a point in my life, but through books and movies I saw that if you persist and work hard you can accomplish something that you can be proud of, something you cherish which may make you feel like you fit in this world and not that I'm religious but I don't think the afterlife offers that kind of opportunity. So in my opinion you can wait to die naturally so you know you've used all your given time properly, because if you ctb there won't be a way to go back, but if you live there will always be a way to slip in the otherworld.
We only exist to ensure the maintenance of our species and our genes. Life is just a race to nothing.
Not if we find meaning in what we do in life. If you see the bigger picture, sure. But life has so many little things that could bring us happiness and thing that we coule give meaning to. Like a hobby or a relationship. It could give us a purpose which makes us really accomplished before we kick the bucked. So i think not using the full possibilities of life is just a waste.
We only exist to ensure the maintenance of our species and our genes. Life is just a race to nothing.
Not if we find meaning in what we do in life. If you see the bigger picture, sure. But life has so many little things that could bring us happiness and thing that we coule give meaning to. Like a hobby or a relationship. It could give us a purpose which makes us really accomplished before we kick the bucked. So i think not using the full possibilities of life is just a waste.

Last edited:
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
I think those people are pointless tbh

Viranamari

Viranamari

A Future Corpse
Feb 22, 2023
Of course, it depends on your personal experience in life. I won't say it's worthless but my experience was never great. It also depends on your mindset. Life only has a value if you give it a value. But those who see it as worthless have probably been betrayed by this cruel world which us why they are here to begin with.

nmnxastia

nmnxastia

they/them <3
Mar 2, 2023
There are approximately 8 billion people on this Earth. It is estimated that roughly 117 billion people have ever existed. And yet this planet is a tiny speck in the ever-increasing universe. Even if we believe that we have purpose, have meaning, have an affect on others, ultimately no one is ever heard in the end. No one is remembered. No one will remember the planet Earth once it dies. It's all futile, in the end. So, to answer your question, no, I don't disagree with the notion that "life is pointless," because life will never not be pointless.

E

EndlessNight

Mar 21, 2023

The "meaning" is just a cope so we can keep enduring and ensuring the maintenance of our species and our genes. Its a race to nothing, because you are going to die anyway, you are just racing against the inevitable end.
The "end" is the final solution to any problem you can imagine(including your need for happiness), so whats the point of life?

Last edited:
Ki_Nam

Ki_Nam

Slow brain turdle
Mar 23, 2023
I don't see life as pointless. I believe you can make something out of it, like what most people are doing, trying to make a point of living. But I just don't want to live it with myself.

SorrowfulDrugUser

SorrowfulDrugUser

Professional Overthinker
Mar 25, 2023
Since starting ketamine treatment this month I've had low-key dread and despair daily. I just wonder about the point of life. I can live day by day, tread water, have momentary happiness and suffering, but why? Why not die? I am just curious if some people here have found a point to living, and how.
I tend to think the world is quite shit, and sometimes I too ask myself why I don't just catch the bus. However, I think a good chunk of what's holding me down is family. Not too sure why, they wouldn't give two shits anyways. I constantly have tried getting help but I've come to realize I've exacerbated all my options. Even so, I've never once gone through with it. I guess part of me is just going to miss all the drugs I do. Self-medication (if done right and you don't go overboard) has been keeping me going, even if it's just to get by day to day. Something is always better than nothing.

S

SamHam

Mar 23, 2023
The "meaning" is just a cope so we can keep enduring and ensuring the maintenance of our species and our genes. Its a race to nothing, because you are going to die anyway, you are just racing against the inevitable end.
The "end" is the final solution to any problem you can imagine(including your need for happiness), so whats the point of life?
That is if you don't do anything with your life, because yes everyone dies sooner or later, but living is the perfect opportunity to do everything and enjoy yourself, exploit your emotions to feel good, use drugs if you shall. Life is full of opportunities that death does not offer. That's why life should be valued and ctb-ing is a waste of perfectly good opportunities, just because if you die you lose all of it.

shinohara

shinohara

Feb 26, 2023
unfortunately I'm currently in the same boat. Even if I'm able to be "happy" one day, I still don't see why not experiencing that would be so bad. And of course the other outcome to staying alive would just be more of this.
that being said, I think my main reason for being alive is for specific people, that and I also don't see much point in dying yet anyways? I don't really believe in any kind of afterlife (that'll matter to me), so I might as well just stick around a while longer. My life isn't so horrible that I feel the need to die just yet.
therapists hate this reason :)
oh and I guess the slim hope that maybe my death could be useful? like sacrifice my life for someone else or something stupid like that :P

N

never mind me

Student
Nov 7, 2022
I agree with your statement that life is pointless. But it doens't bother me in the least. In fact it gives me freedom. As life is pointless anyway I can do whatever I want with my life including ending my life, if I wish to do so. As for now I'm not quite unhappy enough to actually kill myself I may as well try to have some fun, take some drugs, hopefully travel some more in the future... I guess I will just continue like that till I either die by natural causes or am unhappy and desperate enough to actually ctb for whatever reason.

whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Life is the opposite of pointless. It's a machine and we are cogs turning in it. It's going somewhere, producing something, designed by... Some people die early. It's OK. The machine probably programmed your untimely departure, your failures. There was actually nothing untimely about it. Nothing is untimely or chaotic. They say at the quantum level or some shit things are actually chaotic. I don't think so. It's all written, then rewritten, but the point is that a chaotic blob of matter would never just spawn life. It's all a meaningful process.

• Love
Reactions: WeDontKnowTheFuture
Ki_Nam

Ki_Nam

Slow brain turdle
Mar 23, 2023
I believe there's a point to life. It's just that people like me will never live to see it anymore.

charlotte_

charlotte_

-
Mar 12, 2023
it really depends on your experience with it. objectively, nothing is good or bad and so is life. as for me personally, i do believe to an extent that it is meaningless, but what keeps me from believing that theres a meaning to all of this is the "finer things in life", and the fact that theres a constant continuation to life. perhaps the meaning is closer to us than we think it is, its better to not overthink

I

itsallpointless

Experienced
Feb 9, 2023
Contrary to the state of mind I had when I made this account... No, I don't. Life is very fulfilling if you look in the right places

WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
The point of life is to enjoy it as much as you can inspite of the bad and being a wage slave. Unfortunately, for a select amount of people, the bad outweighs the good by a huge margin.

Reactions: Chemical Animal
WeDontKnowTheFuture

WeDontKnowTheFuture

Student
Feb 3, 2023
I used to think that there is a meaning but this is something metaphysical that we cannot access. As whatevs told it, we are all the components of a machine and we make it work. It can be in despair and suffering or in joy, this is not always a choice, some people suffer from their inner workings or some deplorable life conditions. So this machine isn't something good or bad, it is the both. There is no duality. For me, one thing is sure, is that this machine is trying to make us evolve. This machine try to make us evolve towards our life experience and our suffering, although it is rather cruel.

noonipie

noonipie

Student
Apr 5, 2023
life has the meaning you give it. it is what you make of it

Q

QiTianDaSheng

Apr 6, 2023
Quitting while you're ahead is not the same as quitting.

I have plenty on my conscience, albeit not recently. I worry that continuing increases the risk to harm others. Even just a bad car wreck from trying to enjoy driving too much... Up until now I got away with it.