Status
Not open for further replies.
Threads

Threads

Warlock
Jul 13, 2018
10/10 will always provide resources in threads, even without being asked. We should help each other understand our differences.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_in_Japan

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/pcn.12428
Following the economic crash of the late 1990s, the suicide rate in Japan increased to a rate of over 30 000 people per year and has been one of the highest in the world. Cultural factors have influenced this high suicide rate, such as a tradition of honorable suicide as well as permissive attitudes towards suicide that remain in modern times. Additionally, the economic downturn, particularly the trend of unemployment in middle‐aged men, also played a significant role in the high suicide rate. The suicide rate has started to decrease in recent years perhaps in part due to suicide prevention measures undertaken by the government.

How is Suicide Different in Japan, A Large PDF Study

https://think.iafor.org/suicide-contemporary-japan/

In Part 16 of Professor Stuart D. B. Picken's monograph "Death in the Japanese Tradition", he examines case studies of the different types of suicide present in modern-day Japan, from group and pact suicide, to forced suicide.

JOURNAL ARTICLE Interpretations of Elder Suicide, Stress, and Dependency among Rural Japanese

Reactions: About_to_Go, LostGirl and Sinbad
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
I give up.

Reactions: Empty Smile, TooLate2582 and Threads
LostGirl

LostGirl

My time has come
Dec 3, 2018

Nice, in order to fulfill the member's thirst of knowledge, you may consider including studies re the roles of females in contemporary Japanese society.

Threads

Threads

Warlock
Jul 13, 2018
Nice, in order to fulfill the member's thirst of knowledge, you may consider including studies re the roles of females in contemporary Japanese society.

Thanks for giving me something more to look for. I have a bit more here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Japan

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00207599008247925

This paper discusses the ongoing changes in socio-cultural values regarding women in business and industrial infrastructure accruing from the emerging womenpower in contemporary Japan. Women are becoming an important part of corporate culture. Their role in political life is also increasing. The mass media programmes are frequently targeted to female audiences. In contrast, the fate of men, especially that of husbands, seems to be getting increasingly obscure in contemporary Japanese society. From the perspective of work organizations, a true picture of ongoing changes in socio-cultural values regarding women and in the infrastructure accrued from the emerging womenpower in Japan deserves future research attention.

Rethinking The Roles of Japanese Women

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319338476_Japanese_women_in_the_contemporary_society

Are Female Scholars Taken Seriously in Japan.

Here are some resources that may help adequately further the discussion about the differences between Japanese and Western suicide pacts.

Reactions: About_to_Go, Sinbad and LostGirl
Empty Smile

Empty Smile

The final Bell has rung. Goodbye to all.
Jul 13, 2018
Do you think females are the only ones who have encountered hardships in life?

Reactions: Smilla
LostGirl

LostGirl

My time has come
Dec 3, 2018
Thanks for giving me something more to look for. I have a bit more here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_Japan

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/00207599008247925

Rethinking The Roles of Japanese Women

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/319338476_Japanese_women_in_the_contemporary_society

Are Female Scholars Taken Seriously in Japan.

Here are some resources that may help adequately further the discussion about the differences between Japanese and Western suicide pacts.

Gosh, you are quick. You can take over from Jamie in JRE.

D

DeletedUser4739

We do not and cannot read private messages between users.

The only way I can see messages between users is if they send me screenshots or give me the password to see it. I do not have access to the database, and even if I did, I would not want to dig through it to read what users send to each other. Admins have full time jobs, and don't have time to do that either.

We have to give the correct information out when we are discussing site issues.
Yes, correct information is critical.

Please reference your private messages to me detailing your investigation into a few members' private messages; a message that I shared with Masters. It's unfortunate that I may have been misinformed by you. However, I am simply relaying what you explained to me was your process in one of your investigations.

Reactions: Idorus and LostGirl
LostGirl

LostGirl

My time has come
Dec 3, 2018
Do you think females are the only ones who have encountered hardships in life?

Not at all, all I am saying is the perception of females in Japanese society. We are viewed as mere sex objects and are frequently harassed. eg. we have separate carriages for women on trains to avoid the pervs.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
The best we can do is continue to warn newcomers and younger visitors to this site of the danger. It'll then be up to them whether to heed our advice

I agree, certainly given that the threads wherein such dangers became so readily apparent and such behaviours were supported and later defended by certain users of this forum have been deleted, l think continuing to warn other members of the community of these dangers is vital. It is a bit confusing how you make the above point so soon after making this contradictory one, however:

I understand, but to just continue rambling the same thing over and over, is not solving the issue any. The issue was taken care of when the said predator/user was banned.

Reactions: About_to_Go and LostGirl
LostGirl

LostGirl

My time has come
Dec 3, 2018
I agree, certainly given that the threads wherein such dangers became so readily apparent and such behaviours were supported and later defended by certain users of this forum have been deleted, l think continuing to warn other members of the community of these dangers is vital. It is a bit confusing how you make the above point so soon after making this contradictory one, however:

I don't know what's worse, you making a few light hearted jokes or another member defending a sexual predator. If only that user knew how close the target was to being potentially raped and/or tortured and how devastated she was after she found out about the predator.

Reactions: About_to_Go and DeletedUser4739
Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
I don't know what's worse, you making a few light hearted jokes or another member defending a sexual predator.

BEHAVIOUR THAT URGENTLY NEEDS "CALLING OUT":

* A posting style you do not like and find impossible to simply ignore.

BEHAVIOUR THAT IS FINE:

* Enthusiastically encouraging obviously predatory interactions.

* Sending unsolicited snarky PMs to other users.

* Defending the behaviour of said predators in an actual thread where a mod reveals the nature of this user's activity and reasons for their banning, then pretending you didn't take such a position whilst white-knighting in subsequent threads.

Reactions: DeletedUser4739, About_to_Go, Johnnythefox and 1 other person
LostGirl

LostGirl

My time has come
Dec 3, 2018
BEHAVIOUR THAT URGENTLY NEEDS "CALLING OUT":

* A posting style you do not like and find impossible to simply ignore.

BEHAVIOUR THAT IS FINE:

* Enthusiastically encouraging obviously predatory interactions.

* Sending unsolicited snarky PMs to other users.

* Defending the behaviour of said predators in an actual thread where a mod reveals the nature of this user's activity and reasons for their banning, then pretending you didn't take such a position whilst white-knighting in subsequent threads.

I think we all know who you are talking about here. Just ignore him, it's not as if you are traveling to Mexico to get N or something. Order it through A like everyone else.

Empty Smile

Empty Smile

The final Bell has rung. Goodbye to all.
Jul 13, 2018

My point to this was the continuation of arguing about the same person. Everyone knows the dangers of meeting up with strangers. When you report the suspected predator to mods after calling them out, let it drop from there, and let mods determine what the outcome will be. You continue beating on a dead horse and the arguments continue.

My last comment on this thread.

Chinaski

Chinaski

Sep 1, 2018
My point to this was the continuation of arguing about the same person. Everyone knows the dangers of meeting up with strangers. When you report the suspected predator to mods after calling them out, let it drop from there, and let mods determine what the outcome will be. You continue beating on a dead horse and the arguments continue.

My last comment on this thread.

Again, contradicts your earlier points about the community making others aware of the dangers. Ffs pick a position and stick to it.

Reactions: DeletedUser4739
MexicanTravels

MexicanTravels

Pokémon Master
Sep 6, 2018
I don't know what's worse, you making a few light hearted jokes or another member defending a sexual predator.

I don't know what's worse, defending blatant microaggressions or misconstruing other users' actions? Oh wait, we don't need to compare them! They can be mutually exclusive!

Reactions: Idorus
Threads

Threads

Warlock
Jul 13, 2018
Thread closed due to immaturity and fighting.

We had a quality thread here. Use the ignore feature if you don't like a user. Stop creating drama on the forums.

Reactions: Empty Smile, Jupiter and About_to_Go
Status
Not open for further replies.